New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,581 of 2,828
curious has there been any updates on the CFA3 model coming through for headamp? I had heard prior rumors of it being a 2023 release but wasn't sure if there has been any movement on this topic?

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #2,582 of 2,828
curious has there been any updates on the CFA3 model coming through for headamp? I had heard prior rumors of it being a 2023 release but wasn't sure if there has been any movement on this topic?

This is last thing I saw Justin say about it (from March). Was in response to someone who said they’d talked to him before buying a Mini was informed Headamp would not be putting out any new amps this year:

Even if we were working on something for 'this year' everyone knows that means it would really be next year or after that so nothing to worry about here. We typically keep our amp models for about 10 years, with price increases along the way when necessary.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,583 of 2,828
This is last thing I saw Justin say about it (from March). Was in response to someone who said they’d talked to him before buying a Mini was informed Headamp would not be putting out any new amps this year:
k, thanks so 2023 at earliest... I can continue saving :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #2,584 of 2,828
I'm looking to upgrade my Jotunheim 2 perhaps to this, but want to make sure its a great match / upgrade for all my headphones - including my 2021 LCD-X. (I also have Atticus, 6xx and 8xx).
If you're looking for a more resolving Jot 2, you're on the mark here I reckon.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2,585 of 2,828
If you're looking for a more resolving Jot 2, you're on the mark here I reckon.
Agree with this. Was able to A/B the Mini and Jot 2, along with a ton of other amps, at @Relaxasaurus’ house. I was impressed with the Jot 2 but Mini was clearly a big step up.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #2,586 of 2,828
Agree with this. Was able to A/B the Mini and Jot 2, along with a ton of other amps, at @Relaxasaurus’ house. I was impressed with the Jot 2 but Mini was clearly a big step up.
What exactly is different between them? I watched Golden Sound's review of the GS-X Mini and I got the impression that the GS-X wasn't particularly resolving. Something about the mids being smoothed over a bit too.
I have a Jot-A and a GS-X mini (for a very short period of time), so I can't compare them. lol

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #2,589 of 2,828
I'm considering a GSX-Mini. I like a thicker punchy sound, but really value detail. I'm currently using a cap modded Liquid Platinum. Wondering if anyone has used both amps or has any opinions on if the mini would be the right amp for someone who appreciates euphonic tunings, but also likes the authority of solid state. I don't know if it would sound less meaty than the LP in any way.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,590 of 2,828
I'm considering a GSX-Mini. I like a thicker punchy sound, but really value detail. I'm currently using a cap modded Liquid Platinum. Wondering if anyone has used both amps or has any opinions on if the mini would be the right amp for someone who appreciates euphonic tunings, but also likes the authority of solid state. I don't know if it would sound less meaty than the LP in any way.
I have not heard cap modded Liquid Platinum, but the GS-X Mini is a far superior amp to the stock LP. Mini isn’t the final word on detail, but I’d be very surprised to learn the cap modded LP even comes close.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #2,591 of 2,828
I actually went from a modded LP to GSX mini myself. The GSX is a solid device. It's a lot more neutral sounding than the LP with Elna caps, stock tubes. I also went back to solid state because I found the bass a bit too much, I too prefer the sound of solid state. The GSX was driving my LCD4s at the time. You won't be disappointed.

Still using my GSX today as a speaker preamp complimented with a Bifrost 2 and I still enjoy using it.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #2,592 of 2,828
I wouldn't describe the mini as meaty, IMO it's actually a bit soft in the lowest registers

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #2,594 of 2,828
My mini has many thousands of hours listening time logged; plenty details, timbre very natural sounding to my ears, super punchy and hard-hitting in lowest registers when selection calls for it, really everything good except for -possibly- the sound staging, but my main headphone is LCD4z, cans that are acknowledged to have limited staging so hard to definitively say on that one for sure. Overall super happy with my mini.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #2,595 of 2,828
Just focusing on your words of "thick" and "euphonic", and recalling a bit of the times I've heard an LP, I don't think the GSX line (mini or mk2) does either. I think from the SS world, perhaps Violectric v28x (used), or perhaps its replacement the v550 (which I haven't heard) might lean towards those terms, but I haven't personally come across any SS amp that does "thick" or "euphonic" in a way that a tube amp might do. I wonder if any of Schiit's hybrid amp might do the trick? I don't have any personal experience with their ha's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back