New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 24, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,566 of 2,819
Okay, you guys sold me on the GS-X mini. I just finished reading the thread, but had already placed an order about halfway through. Given all the mentions of delays and the agony of waiting I was surprised to get a ship notice within 12 hours of placing my order. I hope I’m not being deprived of the full experience.

Insomnia is dangerous. I stay up too late listening to music and reading about gear and before you know it I’m committed to eating mostly instant noodles to rectify the budget I’ve just blown. New headphones coming as well. I think my speaker system is going to get jealous soon.

youre getting a hand crafted piece of audiophilia that will power anything short of a pair of Russian subs. Looks as good as it sounds, definitely worth a stint on the noodle diet if that’s what’s required! What color and options did you wind up with?

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #2,567 of 2,819
youre getting a hand crafted piece of audiophilia that will power anything short of a pair of Russian subs. Looks as good as it sounds, definitely worth a stint on the noodle diet if that’s what’s required! What color and options did you wind up with?
I went with the satin red and the ALPS pot. My anecdotal and potentially flawed recollection of the thread was that I saw more people regret NOT making the bolder color choice. It may stand out on my equipment rack against the ever so common basic black, since I don't have a separate headphone station yet, but that's okay. Even though I'm a remote control addict and plan to use source volume adjustment for fine tuning, I thought the 24 step attenuator might limit future use cases. It's hard to pay more for an option you aren't convinced will be an actual benefit to you.

I even bought a new 15' balanced cable for my Aeolus (with a 1/4" adapter so I can use it now). This may have influenced my choice to pickup the LCD-X as well since I can use the same cable. I'm still in the I want to try everything and compare it stage, but I keep skipping a lot of steps along the way. Gets expensive real quick this way.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #2,568 of 2,819
Gets expensive real quick this way.

Ain’t that gods own truth 🤣.

I’ve got red satin as well. Looks great on a rack or desk. Really pops and isn’t a fingerprint magnet.

5F5F0A88-7599-4FF1-BACF-1098143A6912.jpeg

Aug 17, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #2,569 of 2,819
Good to know that the VC's will pair well. So, what about the Stellia and low impedance headphones in general?
I run my LCD-5, LCD-X 2021, He1000SE and they all sound right. Its such a transparent amp, you ll hear your music the way its recorded, no coloring. The Mini also has plenty of power to almost any headphone on the market.

Aug 18, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #2,570 of 2,819
When I owned GSX-mini (sold to begin my adventures in the continent of Tubea…), an absolute sonic wonder to behold was the match with Rosson RAD-0 ‘planars’ 😳😄.

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #2,571 of 2,819
When I owned GSX-mini (sold to begin my adventures in the continent of Tubea…), an absolute sonic wonder to behold was the match with Rosson RAD-0 ‘planars’ 😳😄.
I haven’t had my GS-X mini very long yet, but I don’t understand how you ever let it go. Of course I only have 2 amps so far, but I think they’re both the kind you keep forever. Everyone thinks this at some point, right?

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,572 of 2,819
I haven’t had my GS-X mini very long yet, but I don’t understand how you ever let it go. Of course I only have 2 amps so far, but I think they’re both the kind you keep forever. Everyone thinks this at some point, right?
The allure and sound of tubes can do this…🤷🏻‍♂️

Aug 18, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,573 of 2,819
Aug 18, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #2,574 of 2,819
If anyone wants to use balanced xlr input with their beloved GSX-Mini, i highly recommend AudioEnvy cables. I am running their flagship O'nestian XLR cables and they sound wondeful. Priced very reasonably and the sq is amazingly crisp and clean with great soundstage. Highly recommended.

https://audioenvy.com/product/monitor/onestian-g10-pair/

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #2,575 of 2,819
Aug 19, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #2,576 of 2,819
One cannot serve two masters…(or mistresses 🤣🤣)…
Since I pay for the electricity, and bring them life (so to speak), I consider myself their master. I like to bend solid state and tubes both to my will, at my whim, as I please, depending on my mood, and the weather. These are amps we’re talking about, not cats.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #2,577 of 2,819
The allure and sound of tubes can do this…🤷🏻‍♂️
That is exactly why I sold mine. The GSX mini is a fantastic solid state amp, and if I stayed with SS, I would have stayed with The GSX... but now I know tubes. Best decision I have made so far. But nothing compares. Again, for SS, the GSX is fantastic. I had a much improved low end, great clarity, great dynamics and resolution. The features/operation was really good as well as being good looking. All the hallmarks of great SS, but I have that with my tube amp, and all the added awesomeness of tubes.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #2,578 of 2,819
I read elsewhere that the GSX-mini is optimized for a high impedance load and not ideal for sensitive headphones...is that true?

(EDIT: for example - the ABYSS website sells these and says "Works well with low to medium sensitivity planer and dynamic headphones, with plenty of gain for high impedance designs."

I'm looking to upgrade my Jotunheim 2 perhaps to this, but want to make sure its a great match / upgrade for all my headphones - including my 2021 LCD-X. (I also have Atticus, 6xx and 8xx).

I've searched this thread but not been able to find much on this except a post on ASR which says this also. Any feedback would be great.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #2,579 of 2,819
I read elsewhere that the GSX-mini is optimized for a high impedance load and not ideal for sensitive headphones...is that true?

I'm looking to upgrade my Jotunheim 2 perhaps to this, but want to make sure its a great match / upgrade for all my headphones - including my 2021 LCD-X. (I also have Atticus, 6xx and 8xx).

I've searched this thread but not been able to find much on this. Any feedback would be great.
It does perfectly fine with sensitive headphones. It’s IEMs where you’ll have problems. Focal Stellia (106dB sensitivity, 35 ohms) did wonderfully on the GS-X. The low gain setting does not sound as good as high gain, so you’ll be limited on volume adjustments (especially if you get the stepped attenuator).

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,580 of 2,819

I've searched this thread but not been able to find much on this. Any feedback would be great.
Mistakes in posting. Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back