New AKG line
Oct 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #305 of 422

Quote:
I'm waiting for the B701, the Britney Spears Edition.

Might that be called the BS.701 ? 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #306 of 422
I got a Q701 for test.

I had short of time .... and don't want to run the burning in unattended.

Now after 25 hours a short review

Very clear, wide soundstage (like as the other 701/702), air between instruments, detailed, the tsstss of the brass very realistic, deep bass, clear highs (a bit better than the K701) - at some music the bass and bass-mids seems me a bit tight and realistic as the D7000

I use the mod Philips and the WNA MKII for the test - a short test with Marantz and Solo are nearly the same result.

This is only a snapshot, this could vary with time, but I hope not much 
dt880smile.png
 I like the Q701 sound as is now!

IMHO the burning in curve looks like an e-function as a cap is loading up over a resistor. First time the changes are bigger, with time the curve level out.

PS: A short sidestep to the K501 .... a bit fewer bass, but very musically - woman voices a short minor base. The K501 is a very good headphone with slim, neutral sound.

PPS: Some people would say - hearing before 400 hours burning in is damn - I would say .... looks like a wine-grower .... savour at each time of ripening process .....

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #307 of 422
Greetings. Long-time lurker, this is my first post.

I am looking for some on-ear headphones for portable use only with a Cowon J3 and wondered if anyone has tried the Q460? They appear to be the same as the K450 but the specs are not exactly the same (impedence etc).

I almost bought the K450 after an extended session at an in-store listening post where they sounded great, but then tried them with the J3 in another store and they were a big, bassy mess. I assume AKG would not shy and keep it to themselves if these phones featured an all-new driver.

I don't have a wide experience of headphones, as I have been happily using Grado SR80s for years in preference to my Sennheiser HD600 (also bought after an in-store listening post session and which clearly require a better amp than I have).

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #308 of 422

Quote:
I got a Q701 for test.

I had short of time .... and don't want to run the burning in unattended.

Now after 25 hours a short review

Very clear, wide soundstage (like as the other 701/702), air between instruments, detailed, the tsstss of the brass very realistic, deep bass, clear highs (a bit better than the K701) - at some music the bass and bass-mids seems me a bit tight and realistic as the D7000

I use the mod Philips and the WNA MKII for the test - a short test with Marantz and Solo are nearly the same result.

This is only a snapshot, this could vary with time, but I hope not much 
dt880smile.png
 I like the Q701 sound as is now!

IMHO the burning in curve looks like an e-function as a cap is loading up over a resistor. First time the changes are bigger, with time the curve level out.

PS: A short sidestep to the K501 .... a bit fewer bass, but very musically - woman voices a short minor base. The K501 is a very good headphone with slim, neutral sound.

PPS: Some people would say - hearing before 400 hours burning in is damn - I would say .... looks like a wine-grower .... savour at each time of ripening process .....

I hope you'll get to keep them longer, please keep us updated.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #309 of 422

Quote:

I hope you'll get to keep them longer, please keep us updated.

Yess .... not it runs on a SAT receiver (music TV) for burning in some hours too

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #310 of 422

Quote:
AKG just announced their new line of headphones on facebook:

Today we are very happy to let you know that we have partnered with music legend Quincy Jones on the release of three stunning new headphones: the Q701, Q460 and Q350. Visit our just launched interactive experience to view the headphones and stay tuned for a link to view the live news conference here in Berlin, Germany.

http://www.akg.com/personal/,pcp_id,278,_psmand,1.html?quincy#/the-line

ugh!

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #311 of 422
[size=medium]Wow I am actually surprised by the immensely negative remarks not only towards the Q701 but towards AKG & the K701 as well. Has anyone that has listened to both commented or are we just assuming the Q701 and K701 are the same headphone? Well anyways I guess I’ll chime in. First, I like AKG and I like the K701. For $300 they are a very good set of headphones. Are there better headphones out there? Yes. Do many of them cost more? Yes. Are you really going to sit there and compare a $1k+ set of headphones to a $300 set? The Sennheiser HD600s are what it should be compared to not the HD800s. Now are the Sennheiser HD600s better? If they sound better to you, then yes. If not, then no.[/size]
[size=medium]As for the Q701 I have not heard them yet and will assume as everyone else has that they are the same as the K701 except with a detachable cable. Aesthetically I like the white on black. It looks clean and nicely done. The lime green which nobody seems able to move past I don’t really care for and can’t imagine was intended for anybody over 25 to like. The K701s are $300 and the Q701s are $400. So that is $100 for a different color scheme, detachable label, Quincy Jones’ name, and whatever feeling you get from having a limited edition item. Is it a rip off? I don’t think so if that is what you want and are looking to try a set of AKG headphones. I am certainly not going to bash somebody for buying a set.[/size]

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #312 of 422

Quote:
[size=medium]Wow I am actually surprised by the immensely negative remarks not only towards the Q701 but towards AKG & the K701 as well. Has anyone that has listened to both commented or are we just assuming the Q701 and K701 are the same headphone? Well anyways I guess I’ll chime in. First, I like AKG and I like the K701. For $300 they are a very good set of headphones. Are there better headphones out there? Yes. Do many of them cost more? Yes. Are you really going to sit there and compare a $1k+ set of headphones to a $300 set? The Sennheiser HD600s are what it should be compared to not the HD800s. Now are the Sennheiser HD600s better? If they sound better to you, then yes. If not, then no.[/size]
[size=medium]As for the Q701 I have not heard them yet and will assume as everyone else has that they are the same as the K701 except with a detachable cable. Aesthetically I like the white on black. It looks clean and nicely done. The lime green which nobody seems able to move past I don’t really care for and can’t imagine was intended for anybody over 25 to like. The K701s are $300 and the Q701s are $400. So that is $100 for a different color scheme, detachable label, Quincy Jones’ name, and whatever feeling you get from having a limited edition item. Is it a rip off? I don’t think so if that is what you want and are looking to try a set of AKG headphones. I am certainly not going to bash somebody for buying a set.[/size]

When the Q701 were announced they were described on AKG as being the same headphone as the K701 with a new look.  They did this on their facebook.  Probably was not a smart thing to do though.  AKG has a bad rep at this point because they aren't the same company as the classic AKG.  They have new ownership and management and their business objective appears to be immensely different from what it once was.  Separate thought, I think it is in poor taste to remove the K701 from the market, jack the price up on the K702 and then release the Q701 at an even higher price point.  Mind you, less than a year ago, you could find the K701 new for close to $200.  Today you're lucky to find the K702 for under $300.  Being that their technology has not altered in an extremely long time and greater flagships have been removed and due to the new ownership and business objective it is understanding why so many people have complaints.  It seems irresponsible to me to invest a lot of  money in a product endorsement of a product they've been marketing for 5 years, by repackaging it, rather than keeping with their classic tradition by investing money in research to upgrade the sound and integrity of their products.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #313 of 422
Harman Kardon took over AKG, get over it. 

I find it amusing that some people on a hobby forum believe that the business model of Harman Kardon is wrong and that they should adopt the behaviour of the very same company they swallowed up.  The meek will inherit the earth, only after the corporate giants have finished with it.  Monster, Sennheiser, Sony are all agressive marketing corporations which will use celebrity endorsement, product repackaging and do what it takes to increase profits.  That is their function, not simply to appease the whims of a few nostalgic dinosaurs.

There are arguably more top tier headphones today than ever, stop putting your energy into whinging about AKG not having a flagship headphone that meets your standards.

If you don't like AGK products any more then buy something else.  This forum would be a better place if there wasn't so much "team" behaviour- fanboyism in one corner and those that long for the good old days when they use to know how to make a good headphone in the other.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #314 of 422
Quote:
[size=medium]The Sennheiser HD600s are what it should be compared to not the HD800s. Now are the Sennheiser HD600s better? If they sound better to you, then yes. If not, then no.[/size]

Yes, I had both at the same time and found the HD-600 much better than the K-701.  The other competitor in this range is the Beyerdynamic DT880.  I owned that one, too, and found it much better.  I think the HD-600 is probably the best value on the market today.  It outclasses lesser headphones and represents far more bang-for-the-buck than any of the $1,000+ headphones.  Not necessarily that the HD-600 is better than the current top-tier, but dollar for dollar, they're the ones to get.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #315 of 422

Quote:
When the Q701 were announced they were described on AKG as being the same headphone as the K701 with a new look.  They did this on their facebook.  Probably was not a smart thing to do though.  AKG has a bad rep at this point because they aren't the same company as the classic AKG.  They have new ownership and management and their business objective appears to be immensely different from what it once was.  Separate thought, I think it is in poor taste to remove the K701 from the market, jack the price up on the K702 and then release the Q701 at an even higher price point.  Mind you, less than a year ago, you could find the K701 new for close to $200.  Today you're lucky to find the K702 for under $300.  Being that their technology has not altered in an extremely long time and greater flagships have been removed and due to the new ownership and business objective it is understanding why so many people have complaints.  It seems irresponsible to me to invest a lot of  money in a product endorsement of a product they've been marketing for 5 years, by repackaging it, rather than keeping with their classic tradition by investing money in research to upgrade the sound and integrity of their products.

The AKG factory for the .70. headphones and her studio microphones are still in Vienna (Austria)  
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back