NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,821 of 2,884
I use these sheepskin earpads:
https://www.amazon.com/Ablet-Replac...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MMFTEWBD0NQTDFFH1WHA

$25 and better build quality than the Hifiman earpads. Keeps most of the same audio properties as the Focuspads.
The HE400S is my favorite open back headphone. It took me awhile to appreciate it. Originally I was using them with JDS Labs Element and Fiio K5 dock. Neither one did them justice. Once I switched to my Mimby/Pangea HP-201 and ifi stack, I absolutely love these headphones.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,822 of 2,884
I use these sheepskin earpads:
https://www.amazon.com/Ablet-Replac...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MMFTEWBD0NQTDFFH1WHA

$25 and better build quality than the Hifiman earpads. Keeps most of the same audio properties as the Focuspads.
The HE400S is my favorite open back headphone. It took me awhile to appreciate it. Originally I was using them with JDS Labs Element and Fiio K5 dock. Neither one did them justice. Once I switched to my Mimby/Pangea HP-201 and ifi stack, I absolutely love these headphones.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4C5wQFggxMAA&usg=AOvVaw05v3w6JwWDvNs_mVNTrXvI

Look similar

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,823 of 2,884
Did anyone change the headband of the HE400S? The pleather on mine is flacking.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #2,825 of 2,884
I am completely blown away by the 400s... it's easily the best headphone I've got or listened to. For me it trumps the HD650 even properly AMP'd. i was listening to the vocal cut of Under Pressure (I'm a MASSIVE Queen fan of 26 years) and listening to Freddie and David's voices so clear, so separate but still so blended was, both singing so effortlessly, breaths and all... staggering. Karen Carpenter's voice never sounded so silky smooth. Don't take the mick, but to test soundstage i listen to Under The Sea from Little Mermaid and it was stretched so wide and deep. I heard these harmonies on Queen's My Fairy King coming from the top right of my head that I'd never came close to hearing before.

I was really afraid when practically everyone was going on about how bass light they are... yeah there is no slam, no pounding... but the bass they have is great quality. They did something with mid bass that you never miss out on bass notes. I'll still try the Focal Pads out of sheer curiosity.

Mids are simply addictive no matter what you listen to. Vocals especially. when you speak of nuances... well these are nuance kings. treble is polite, maybe some will like more sparkle and a touch more brightness... i don't.

Big thanks to Serman005 for the final push in to buying these.

Someone said in a review that you shouldn't take this as the final example of Planars and that there is a lot more they can do... well for now I'm happy, but I'll def be selling some gear to save up for some hi end set... perhaps again from the HiFiMan stable. That won't be for a while though as I'm truly in love with the 400s.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,826 of 2,884
@harry501501, you might want to try some attenuation rings in the ear pads to bring up the bass a few dB. This is what I've been using:
Attenuation Rings.jpg
They are made of heavy card stock or hanging folder, you need to try different shapes and if you want to use 2 or 1 ring.

I never got the impression of a wide deep soundstage with the HE400S the few times I tried them but I think my comparison point is probably different from yours and I agree the sound stage is wider and deeper than the HD650.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #2,827 of 2,884
I have the 600, the 650 and the HE400S, And I almost always reach for the 600 and 650 because they’re more in my wheel house, they are richer, warmer, with better low end, better impact. And for me, they respond better to Captune eq than the HE 400S. They are better built and more comfortable.

But...... I love the clarity and the wide soundstage of the 400S, I like this phone alot for classical music and sweeping orchestras and jazz and soundtracks, but not for anything with bass.

I confess I have not tried mods or alternative pads with the 400S.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,829 of 2,884
Where can I get the stock pads for these cans? I ruined mine trying to mod them. I have Focus A bit would like the stock as well.
You can get the stock pads direct from Hifiman here or you can go to ebay and amazon. The Focus-A and Focus pads will alter the sound a little from the stock velpads of the HE400S, how much and good or bad only you can decide.

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #2,830 of 2,884
Hi all. Newbie posting but have used head-fi for years.

Anyway, I bought HE-400S headphones 2 weeks ago and was initially blown away. Coming from great Koss PortaPros, SHP9500, and ATH50x cans, these are a whole new level of detail, silky sound, and imaging. Wow.

The problem they have is flutter with bass in the right channel. Not a loose grill. I see this is not an unusual problem with these. I'm worried that even if I exchange these for another pair they'll develop the same issue down the road.

I want to stick with planars, so:

Exchange until I get a good pair and rest easy that this pair was a lemon?
Buy a different model or brand? (for my budget $400 it would be a 400i or Monoprice 1060)

Any advice appriciated!

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #2,831 of 2,884

Anyway, I bought HE-400S headphones 2 weeks ago and was initially blown away. Coming from great Koss PortaPros, SHP9500, and ATH50x cans, these are a whole new level of detail, silky sound, and imaging. Wow.

The problem they have is flutter with bass in the right channel. Not a loose grill. I see this is not an unusual problem with these. I'm worried that even if I exchange these for another pair they'll develop the same issue down the road.

Buy a different model or brand? (for my budget $400 it would be a 400i or Monoprice 1060)

Any advice appriciated!
I go with the HE400i but there seems to be an issue with cracked yokes on them along with the HE560 from back in Dec to Feb this year, most likely due a bad production run of yokes and most that have had broken yokes have gotten a whole new headband from Hifiman so if you are willing to process the warranty repair I'd either keep trying to get a good HE400S or HE400i. As for the M1060 they have their issues with QC also its the luck of the draw with either, but sound wise I'd go with HE400i over the M1060 sine the M1060 was a bit boring and lifeless to me but I'd been told that it might be due to my lower listening levels (55-70db)

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,832 of 2,884

Any advice appriciated!

Likely a one off...try a new pair!

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #2,833 of 2,884
Okay, thanks David A and Treecloud. I've put in for an exchange on Amazon Prime.

I ran these straight from an iPhone X and have never heard anything better (Spotify set to extreme). Did some pad rolling too. Thought the HFM leather pads were giving more bass but after breakin, I preferred stock pads (but they itch).

Songs like Royals though really distorted but I thought it was just my loud levels.

Then coworker lent me his ifi dsd nano and I hooked it to PC playing apple lossless and wow! Another whole new level of sparkle. Like most quality things, you don't know what you're missing until you try something better. But still that rattle . . .

Then I bought a fiio Q1 mkii (very nice so far) and the bass distortion was getting in the way of comparing Apple lightning cable/ifi/fiio.

As you can tell, the rattle was not bad enough to make me doubt these at first but once I noticed it I started hearing it in more and more songs.

I'd already ordered some balanced cables for the Q1 to decide how much snake oil they are.

I'll post impressions when the new set arrives.

Thanks again.

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #2,834 of 2,884
Okay, thanks David A and Treecloud. I've put in for an exchange on Amazon Prime.

I ran these straight from an iPhone X and have never heard anything better (Spotify set to extreme). Did some pad rolling too. Thought the HFM leather pads were giving more bass but after breakin, I preferred stock pads (but they itch).

Songs like Royals though really distorted but I thought it was just my loud levels.

Then coworker lent me his ifi dsd nano and I hooked it to PC playing apple lossless and wow! Another whole new level of sparkle. Like most quality things, you don't know what you're missing until you try something better. But still that rattle . . .

Then I bought a fiio Q1 mkii (very nice so far) and the bass distortion was getting in the way of comparing Apple lightning cable/ifi/fiio.

As you can tell, the rattle was not bad enough to make me doubt these at first but once I noticed it I started hearing it in more and more songs.

I'd already ordered some balanced cables for the Q1 to decide how much snake oil they are.

I'll post impressions when the new set arrives.

Thanks again.

Okay, got my replacement pair. The rattle in the right speaker is gone! But they still can't handle the deep bass in Royals, which is disappointing but not a deal killer.

What is bad with the new ones is the balance. The right channel is noticably louder than the right. Mono recordings aren't centered. Arrg! Really not happy with the QA.

Going to try to exchange one more time.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #2,835 of 2,884
@Loneract , sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the HE400S and it really sucks about the QC issues that Hifiman is having with many of the HE400S, HE400i and HE560. I think you might want to look at the HE400i if you want slightly deeper bass or if you have an amp that can drive the HE560 I'd suggest moving up to it since the bass on the HE560 is quite a bit better than the HE400i/s and at its current price of $350 is really good deal since they were originally $900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back