NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jun 15, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,791 of 2,884
Hard to pinpoint exactly, but they did not "grab" me at all. They are quadruple the price of my HD598C's and did not seem like a big step up. I understand that A) I am not an audiophile and B) They were not amped, but they did not sound special to me at all. Much like the HE400S. However the PM3 was amazing with any music playing off of any DAP. That is the most exciting headphone I have ever heard (yes I have NO experience with high end phones). And again I really enjoyed the SR325. Rougher than the PM3 and not as tight, but a lot of fun.

It reminds of that old saying "on paper, this team should dominate". Usually followed by "and that's why they play the game"

The HD 650 might blow me away with an amp, but I heard nothing today that made me even want to try.

Shane D

PS: My test songs included Trombone Shorty, Florence and the Machine, old AC/DC, Art Blakie, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, etc.
I am not surprised you did not find them engaging. Using the 300 ohm HD600 and HD650 without proper amplification is not going to get one anywhere. A good amp is absolutely required. Your HD598CS should probably sound better unamplified than either the 600 or 650 unamplified (I own both, plus the 598).

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #2,792 of 2,884
DOH!!! You are correct...The Grado SR325. Lot of fun in a small headphone. One downside was the scratchy foam.

Shane D
Thanks for the clarification, if you ever buy a Grado you should check out the cheap G pads ($5-6) from ebay, softer foam and since its larger it feels a lot better. For me it seems to help the bass 1-2dB and since the drivers are a little farther away from your ear the treble is attenuated a bit.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,793 of 2,884
Thanks for the clarification, if you ever buy a Grado you should check out the cheap G pads ($5-6) from ebay, softer foam and since its larger it feels a lot better. For me it seems to help the bass 1-2dB and since the drivers are a little farther away from your ear the treble is attenuated a bit.

Thank you, because I am going to buy them. I am going to put my M50X's up for sale to help with the cost. These this summer, and the PM3's by Christmas. A man has to have goals...:o2smile:

Shane D

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,794 of 2,884
Thank you, because I am going to buy them. I am going to put my M50X's up for sale to help with the cost. These this summer, and the PM3's by Christmas. A man has to have goals...:o2smile:

Shane D

Great goals.

What was it about the HE400S that made you try other headphones? I've only heard them once and while I though they were decent it was too close in sound signature to my HD650 and didn't seem to scale with better gear like the HD650.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #2,795 of 2,884
Great goals.

What was it about the HE400S that made you try other headphones? I've only heard them once and while I though they were decent it was too close in sound signature to my HD650 and didn't seem to scale with better gear like the HD650.

There was nothing there at first with my iPod. Strange for "easy to drive phones". I then used my Sony which woke them up, but there was nothing that grabbed me. I love vocals and horns. Plus crunchy rock and I have, in the last two years, discovered jazz. No song jumped out at me at all. They did not sound any better than my P5's, M50X's or even my HD598C's. I thought that maybe I didn't "get" planar and asked the sales guy what else he had and he passed me the PM3's. Wow! They blew me away as I had hoped the HE400S would. Life changing for a budding audiophile. Everything was tight, loud, clean and just amazing. I didn't get ANYTHING from the HE400S. But it's all personal preference. I lost one supposed hero, but picked up two more.:slight_smile:

Shane D

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #2,796 of 2,884
I've listened to both the 400S and PM-3 and liked both. I found them both easy to drive with my FiiO A3 and very comfortable. I ended up selecting the Oppo for 2 reasons. 1. I needed some isolation. 2. While both had pleasing (to me) sound signatures, the PM-3 had better bass extension.

Planar Magnetic based headphones typically offer flat bass extension. It seems that the HE 400S is somewhat of an exception. It does present bass, just not as extended. My view anyway.

:wink:

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,797 of 2,884
just got the 400s and i dunno they dont seem to have enough treble or something for me. im kind of preferring the sound of my alessandro (grado) ms1i over them which seems like crazy talk. i think ill prob send them back because i dont see a $300 difference...maybe im not an audiophile or its all diminishing returns at a certain point.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,798 of 2,884
just got the 400s and i dunno they dont seem to have enough treble or something for me. im kind of preferring the sound of my alessandro (grado) ms1i over them which seems like crazy talk. i think ill prob send them back because i dont see a $300 difference...maybe im not an audiophile or its all diminishing returns at a certain point.
If the MS1i are your reference point for treble, then I can understand why you find the 400S lacking in that department. They are two totally separate voicings, with the MS1i treble up-tilted and the 400S more neutral by comparison. Maybe give them some time before you send them back. They may grow on you.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #2,799 of 2,884

I agree with @serman005 that if the alessandro (grado) is what you have become your preference then almost any headphone will sound like its lacking the sparkle that you have come to accept as "normal" but the only person that matters is you. Its one reason I like many different headphones just for their unique sounds and I do have Grado's RS2e/SR-225e/SR-225i along with many others that range from SR-009 to LCD-2f to MDR-7506.

Suggest using only the HE400S for a few days and then go back to the Alessandro, you might find them overly bright but I would still keep both since they make great complimentary headphones for various genres.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,803 of 2,884
It's AC Gears, guess they are legit. My main concern is the 400S vs 400i and if i should take the 400i or wait for the 400s. Thanks for the answer!
Most users consider the 400i to be a bit more detailed than the 400S. It is brighter as well. 400S bass is more nuanced, though, IMO. The other thing to keep in mind is that the 400S does not require an amplifier, so there is that as well.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,804 of 2,884
for those comparing the 400s to the hd 598 - I have both - the sennheiser is a good light inexpensive headphone that doesn't take much to power. The 400s with a half descent amp is on a different level then the 598 - it sounds much better especially with power - ie high gain then the 598.

I recently bought the audeze isine 10 and love the sound / portability of it nothing near the price for iem compares to it I use it everyday at the office / starbucks, etc but when I get home I use the 400s, to me it has better sound with more base

Users who are viewing this thread

Back