NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,881 of 2,884
I've bought these again recently. I only had fond, if hazy memory of the first pair I had.
Definitely glad I bought them again. These are a steal for around 200 (found a lucky open box for 150). The comfort is amazing (my favorite headphone design to date), sound is very balanced (replaced the stock pads with the ZMF Ori pads which fixes the bass roll off and further evens out the midrange a little bit) and replaced the cable with a better one. These are definitely staying. Technicality is good enough, great imaging and nice soundstage, with their great timbre and Supreme comfort, these will hopefully serve me well for some time. I prefer their tuning to pretty much any other Hifiman, including the Sundara (which is very uncomfortable to me). A little bit more presence in the lower midrange, a bit more dynamic slam and a bit more energy in places would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker by any means
I liked the 400s too, I've had them twice over the years... Both times tho they didn't last a month sadly. On both sets issues with sound developed which was a shame as they were really nice with certain genres (for me more laid back music). I thought the 400se would address the lack of bass, but even tho I'm going by memory alone, any increase is minimum at best as they're still very bass light, even with proper amplification.

I must admit tho, for a smaller head like mine, the 400se being that bit tighter, is a better fit over the original. Tho it's no surprise to hear that you prefer the original strap.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #2,882 of 2,884
I liked the 400s too, I've had them twice over the years... Both times tho they didn't last a month sadly. On both sets issues with sound developed which was a shame as they were really nice with certain genres (for me more laid back music). I thought the 400se would address the lack of bass, but even tho I'm going by memory alone, any increase is minimum at best as they're still very bass light, even with proper amplification.

I must admit tho, for a smaller head like mine, the 400se being that bit tighter, is a better fit over the original. Tho it's no surprise to hear that you prefer the original strap.
I ownd the 400SE (Chinese import) version and those were even brighter and more bass light, to my ears. I preref the 400S's smooth, enjoyable tonality (though that will depend on your pad of choice too :)). They become boomy with the Brainwavz hybrids for example, but I do really like them with teh ZMF Oris, though a litte bit more slam would be nice at times! I do like that HFM remain quite pad friendly, so long as you have the attachment rings, there a re a lot of pads that fit. Fingers crossed my model lasts longer than yours :/

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #2,883 of 2,884
I ownd the 400SE (Chinese import) version and those were even brighter and more bass light, to my ears. I preref the 400S's smooth, enjoyable tonality (though that will depend on your pad of choice too :)). They become boomy with the Brainwavz hybrids for example, but I do really like them with teh ZMF Oris, though a litte bit more slam would be nice at times! I do like that HFM remain quite pad friendly, so long as you have the attachment rings, there a re a lot of pads that fit. Fingers crossed my model lasts longer than yours :/
Yeah, it's one of those sets I'd loved to have been confident enough to buy again. I remember listening to the vocals-only cut of Under Pressure and being mesmerized by Freddie and David's vocals... As if they were in the room. Just so so natural and 'real'. It also let me hear Roger Taylor's backing vocal which after hundreds of times listening to the original, I hadn't identified.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #2,884 of 2,884
I keep switching between the different pads. Leaning towards the stock pads with inserts for a bit more room inside. I think it improves the firmness a little and thus seal. Also replaced the grills with more open ones which allow for a little bit more airiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back