NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,853 of 2,884
It's indeed more sensible to buy a cheap replacement cable for HE-400S, considering the headphones' infamous build quality......

Well I've been lucky so far, and I bought my pair used. I also agree about buying cheap cables for a different reason - their far higher cost/benefit ratio on objective aural basis, which also dovetails with the highish aural cost/benefit ratio of the 400S.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,854 of 2,884
I just received Dakoni Lambskin pads for the 400S and really like them. Got the non perforated (non fenestrated) version from Amazon for $60.

I am very impressed with these pads! Physical quality is top notch, plus they do seem to add a bit more aural weight. Ear hole is slightly larger than stock, and they are very comfortable. I've been through several pads now, these are the keepers. They were the easiest pads to install too.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,855 of 2,884
I just received Dakoni Lambskin pads for the 400S and really like them. Got the non perforated (non fenestrated) version from Amazon for $60.

I am very impressed with these pads! Physical quality is top notch, plus they do seem to add a bit more aural weight. Ear hole is slightly larger than stock, and they are very comfortable. I've been through several pads now, these are the keepers. They were the easiest pads to install too.
Do these leather pads constrict the sound stage? I am thinking about replacing the stock pads with something less leaky (to improve low-end) but I really don't want the already small sound stage further constrict.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #2,856 of 2,884
Do these leather pads constrict the sound stage? I am thinking about replacing the stock pads with something less leaky (to improve low-end) but I really don't want the already small sound stage further constrict.

I can't say I noticed that, if anything it seems bigger to me. I also noticed things I didn't expect, better detail resolution, was hearing things in familiar tracks had never noticed before. The pads seem angled more precisely perhaps, and perhaps less leaking "focused" sound better?

Have noticed no drawback as yet, I really like them.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #2,857 of 2,884
I can't say I noticed that, if anything it seems bigger to me. I also noticed things I didn't expect, better detail resolution, was hearing things in familiar tracks had never noticed before. The pads seem angled more precisely perhaps, and perhaps less leaking "focused" sound better?

Have noticed no drawback as yet, I really like them.
Thank you.

May 23, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #2,858 of 2,884
Just got an HE-400S pair today, second hand, with Dekoni hybrid pads on them and Brainwavz pads and original pads in the box.

Been listening to them for hours, most recently with my Cavalli Bijou all-tube amp.

Something as puny as a Sansa Clip Plus does a good job with these if you want to listen to classical but they have No Slam until you can really put some power behind them. For example, my O2 was a total disappointment with them.

Possibly unpopular opinion based on two hours of alt-hiphop and remastered kraftwerk: I think these headphones are slightly under-damped.

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,859 of 2,884
I know this thread is pretty dead but I picked a pair of these up in a trade not expecting much. Especially since I've previously owned the 500, 560, and HEXv1.
They came with what I believe are ori pads, and have since acquired the brainwavz angled pleather pads in which has really made these cans come to life.
Going from memory these cans definitely remind me of the 500's with the space of the HEX. I'm completely shocked by how good these are. Better bass response than the 560 and a lot less dry and hot in the treble than both the 500/560. If I were to rank these between the 3, I'd definitely put them second to the HEX.
They image better than the 500 and 560. More 3 dimensional in soundstage. A lot cleaner and clearer.
With the ori pads I really didn't care for the sound. Bass was flat, and everything up top was subdued.

For the last year I've been listening to the 58x. These 400s haven't left my head since acquiring them. I did spend hours doing A/B between the two and man are they different. They do have their trade offs.

I honestly feel I got the better deal in the trade. I did not like the dt990(600ohm) at all. The midrange was completely missing from the music. Definitely not my cup of tea lol.

Well , these are my initial thoughts on them. They are definitely staying put for now. Pleasantly surprised by how good these are.

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #2,860 of 2,884
I know this thread is pretty dead but I picked a pair of these up in a trade not expecting much. Especially since I've previously owned the 500, 560, and HEXv1.
They came with what I believe are ori pads, and have since acquired the brainwavz angled pleather pads in which has really made these cans come to life.
Going from memory these cans definitely remind me of the 500's with the space of the HEX. I'm completely shocked by how good these are. Better bass response than the 560 and a lot less dry and hot in the treble than both the 500/560. If I were to rank these between the 3, I'd definitely put them second to the HEX.
They image better than the 500 and 560. More 3 dimensional in soundstage. A lot cleaner and clearer.
With the ori pads I really didn't care for the sound. Bass was flat, and everything up top was subdued.

For the last year I've been listening to the 58x. These 400s haven't left my head since acquiring them. I did spend hours doing A/B between the two and man are they different. They do have their trade offs.

I honestly feel I got the better deal in the trade. I did not like the dt990(600ohm) at all. The midrange was completely missing from the music. Definitely not my cup of tea lol.

Well , these are my initial thoughts on them. They are definitely staying put for now. Pleasantly surprised by how good these are.

Cheers!
Please do a comparison of the hifiman and Sennheiser if possible

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2,862 of 2,884

Cheers!
Got a link for the brainwavz angled pleather pads? Tried searching amazon and couldn't find the angled ones (but then its a bit hard on the phone, LOL). Also, did you get the regular or XL?

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #2,863 of 2,884

Users who are viewing this thread

Back