NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #2,146 of 2,884
  Former HE-400 owner here. Just got these in the mail - my first impressions are extremely positive! I was worried because I kept hearing this was a laid-back headphone. I'm a die-hard Beyerdynamic fan and thought the HE-400S might just sound bland to me. I was completely wrong. These headphones sound incredibly alive and dynamic to me, even with the stock pads. In fact, I also ordered the focus pads, but I actually prefer the stock velour pads.

Another thing - I don't think the headphone is lacking in the bass department. Anyone else here think the bass on this thing is rocking even with the stock pads?

I LOVE my 400s.. I tried the 400i's when they were on sale...I sent them back..great headphones, just not as open and alive like the 400s.
I bought a pair of Focus Pads A's that I've been using. Someone mentioned he thought the stock pads were better, so I put my stock ones back on...they do bring out the mids and the highs more, but they are close to simbilent a lot of times to me, which I dont like, so I will switch back to my A pads tomorrow.  I am also running some modded grills and I have an APPJ tube amp which is wonderful on these cans.

I am using an Creative Labs E5 as my DAC which has DSP control, so I have tweaked the bass a little and I have no issues with the bass. These HP's will play any music!

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,147 of 2,884
  Former HE-400 owner here. Just got these in the mail - my first impressions are extremely positive! I was worried because I kept hearing this was a laid-back headphone. I'm a die-hard Beyerdynamic fan and thought the HE-400S might just sound bland to me. I was completely wrong. These headphones sound incredibly alive and dynamic to me, even with the stock pads. In fact, I also ordered the focus pads, but I actually prefer the stock velour pads.

Another thing - I don't think the headphone is lacking in the bass department. Anyone else here think the bass on this thing is rocking even with the stock pads?

Agree 100%.  The bass is the best of any headphone set here and that includes the Sennheiser HD800.  I'm playing with getting balanced connectors to try the HE400s's against those HD800s in the main system and have various items in the mail for me to make up a cord.

However a lot of the bass response has to do with the impedance and the 22 ohms of the HE400S matches nicely to the Sony A17 Walkman but might not be so good with the HeadRoom Blockhead so I'm not going overboard with expensive cords.

Bottom line is that the classical music on FLAC in the A series SONY players comes though delightfully.  More appealing and enjoyable than via Sennheiser 650 or 598s or AKG 702s.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,150 of 2,884
Sorry if this is not the place to post this.

I am looking to upgrade from my current head phone ( AD 700 ) tomsomething that doesnt sound as thin.

I am looking at possibly getting these but would not be able to afford an amp, they will mainly be used from my ipad, and would be used for about a 50/50 split between watching shows and and movies and music ( film scores, and a little edm)

I had bought the philips x2 but found them too bass heavy.

Would these be a good option or would i be served better by something like the sennheiser hd 598?

Thanks ahead of time

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,151 of 2,884

I am looking to upgrade from my current head phone ( AD 700 ) tomsomething that doesnt sound as thin.

I am looking at possibly getting these but would not be able to afford an amp, they will mainly be used from my ipad, and would be used for about a 50/50 split between watching shows and and movies and music ( film scores, and a little edm)

Would these be a good option or would i be served better by something like the sennheiser hd 598?

Thanks ahead of time

Cannot comment about the hd 598, but I personally think that the 400S are good enough with an ipad ( they will benefit from an amp) but they are still good with an iphone/ipad. I would suggest changing the pads to either the focus pads or brainwavz to give the sound the weight it needs for tv and such. Still I feel either way sound great for music. Hope it helps

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,152 of 2,884

Thanks ahead of time

Ouch Senn 598 go way too far in the other direction for my ears.  Way to too bright.

Cannot comment about the hd 598, but I personally think that the 400S are good enough with an ipad ( they will benefit from an amp) but they are still good with an iphone/ipad. I would suggest changing the pads to either the focus pads or brainwavz to give the sound the weight it needs for tv and such. Still I feel either way sound great for music. Hope it helps

Agreed,

I heard my 400S with Focus A pads on an iphone and they sounded great.  If the ipad has about the same power you should be good to go.  Unless you like blasting you r ears with special effects in movies
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,154 of 2,884

I have both the X2's and the 400s' and I would agree it is a move in the right direction.  Only your ears will know for sure %^).  Personally, I really like the 400s'.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,156 of 2,884
I have both the X2's and the 400s' and I would agree it is a move in the right direction.  Only your ears will know for sure %^).  Personally, I really like the 400s'.

What is the difference in sound between these 2 or more specifically how much bass does the 400s have in comparison as i found the x2 way too bass heavy,

Dou you think they would be comfortable for someone like myselfy who has a smaller head? The x2 almost fell off my head with out much movement.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #2,157 of 2,884
What is the difference in sound between these 2 or more specifically how much bass does the 400s have in comparison as i found the x2 way too bass heavy,

Dou you think they would be comfortable for someone like myselfy who has a smaller head? The x2 almost fell off my head with out much movement.

I'm not sure exactly how to answer you regarding the bass.  I would say the bass from the X2's sometimes dominates the overall sound where that is not the case with the 400s'.  I've never felt the bass in the 400s' jumping out at me.  That's not to say they lack bass, it just doesn't dominate.  

As for comfort, I too have a smaller head and both my wife and I find the 400s' very comfortable.  For me the X2's had a little too much pressure, not unbearable but not as comfortable as the 400s'.  I can have the 400s' on for long periods and almost forget I have them on.

Hope that helps

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,158 of 2,884

I also have both. Preference comes down to the music you listen to imo.

400s with stock pads lack bass imo. With HM5 pads they are much better. I would choose them over X2 for vocal, acoustic and classical.
Much more neutral and natural than X2.

X2 is however more fun. With any other genres especially electronic music 400s feels anaemic compared to X2. X2 has meaty, fun sound big body and bass. Not for analytical listening but for pure music joy. I prefer X2 due to my music and listening habits. But I completely accept if someone chooses 400s. I am selling mine.

Regarding the size imo 400s is much smaller. I think I have a medium sized head, and X2s are absolutely fine for me. 400s are also ok, but I had to use them on max headband setting. 400s are smaller than X2

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,159 of 2,884
Hi guys
Can i ask you some questions about your headphone experiences ?

HE400S against HD600 / 650 is the main question :

1 ) I saw in some reviews that the 400s bass is not so deeper ( i not means the amount but the deep ), this is right ? 
Im looking for an headphone with not deep bass.

2 ) The 400S is really so smooth like HD6xx ?
I never hear an headphone like the 6xx series.

3 ) Important question .... what is the analyticity of HE400S compared to HD650D ?
( For "analyticity" i means the unforgiving sound that tends to reveals the tracks defects. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back