NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,131 of 2,884
  could you give your impressions of how that song sounds on them? might be asking for to much.  

Hmm, I can try but I don't have a proper amp/dac till next week. Also I'm not using stock pads. Also opinions are so much personal preference without a baseline reference to compare.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,132 of 2,884
  Anyone here compared the 400s to the AD1000x? i'm interested in comparisons with female vocals in the opera type genre like jackie evancho. 

Ok, I'm not a big opera fan but best I can do:

Soundstage is not big, just a bit more 3d than closed phones. Her voice is sweet and well defined and more forward/intimate than the orchestra. However, some of her vibrato peaks come in at the most forward part of the mids of the AD1000x and so seem a bit piercing/harsh. But overall doesn't seem a big issue. I have trouble hearing any serious definition in the orchestra as far as particular instruments. But keep in mind that this is straight out of a cheap laptop without a proper amp/dac and this is a youtube not a flac.

This is more my style (Melanie Martinez) AMV. Her voice sounds great on my phones.

Another one I like, Emilie Autumn:

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,133 of 2,884
  I bought a pair of these cables on ebay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161743404378?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460719869868&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  I got the 3 meter ones because I needed the length for my set up.  I also didn't want to spend $100 plus shipping for the HiFiman ones.  The sound was horrible when I first hooked them up.  After i burned them in for a few days without listening to them the sound was much better.  I do think they are a little rolled off on the top end compared to the HiFiman ones.  But honestly they sound pretty good.  I also have done the grill mod and have the focus pads.  So all three mods cost me less than $100, so for $400 for everything.  In the end I am more than happy with the sound of this set up.

I'd like to get the 1.2m version, my question is it more flexible than the stock cable.  The stiffness drives me crazy.  I'm not going to spend half the cost of the HP's for some esoteric cable. If this one is flexible and doesn't really sound like crap, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,134 of 2,884

I'd like to get the 1.2m version, my question is it more flexible than the stock cable.  The stiffness drives me crazy.  I'm not going to spend half the cost of the HP's for some esoteric cable. If this one is flexible and doesn't really sound like crap, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

I bought this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261317123574?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560238168483&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is WAY more flexible and does not "sound like crap".....It is, however a bit rolled off in the upper range and not as detailed as the stiff OEM cable. No complaints regarding how it's made, seems pretty good in that department.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,135 of 2,884
Feb 8, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2,137 of 2,884

Ok, I'm not a big opera fan but best I can do:

Soundstage is not big, just a bit more 3d than closed phones. Her voice is sweet and well defined and more forward/intimate than the orchestra. However, some of her vibrato peaks come in at the most forward part of the mids of the AD1000x and so seem a bit piercing/harsh. But overall doesn't seem a big issue. I have trouble hearing any serious definition in the orchestra as far as particular instruments. But keep in mind that this is straight out of a cheap laptop without a proper amp/dac and this is a youtube not a flac.

This is more my style (Melanie Martinez) AMV. Her voice sounds great on my phones.

Another one I like, Emilie Autumn:

wow, thats disappointing to hear about the sound stage that was one of the things i was thinking would be nice on those. only open cans i own are the alessandro ms1i so a small soundstage and forward sound is basically is kinda what i already get with that. i know how laptop sound is with headphones (shudders) and youtube is not the best source but thank you for your impressions, much appreciated. :)

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #2,138 of 2,884
  wow, thats disappointing to hear about the sound stage that was one of the things i was thinking would be nice on those. only open cans i own are the alessandro ms1i so a small soundstage and forward sound is basically is kinda what i already get with that. i know how laptop sound is with headphones (shudders) and youtube is not the best source but thank you for your impressions, much appreciated. :)

I don't think the Audio-Technica's are generally huge soundstage type of headphones but I expect a good amp/dac to help a bit. If you want a big soundstage, I hear more about the AKG K712/K7XX/Q701/K702 having a big soundstage. I haven't heard them though. I plan to do a detailed impressions review when I get my amp in and I'll post more info of their sound with a variety of musical sources.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #2,139 of 2,884
The 400S arrived yesterday and I'm in awe.  They match up to the SONY A17 player superbly.  Good sensitivity. more bass, better articulation, more air, ... than the Sennheiser 598s or 650s used previously (and the AKG 702s have been taken over by my wife on her new SONY A25).  

I should add I listen to classical music so these comments are made relative to that genre and I should add that, at 80yo, my upper frequencies are very compromised.  So adjust my enthusiasm as being for the mid range and for the lower end.  I'm contemplating constructing some balanced cabling so I can compare them to the Sennheiser 800s on the hi-end listening system (fed by the Meridian Sooloos system).

I've always been in love with planars and have Sound labs electrostats in the main home theatre system but baulked at the price of the Stax headphones and their associated electronics.  As far as I'm concerned HiFiMan have come through with the answer.

Of course in all this we are dealing with subjective opinion so what appeals to me might not to someone else.  Niggling arguments about opinions on the sound are rather pointless as we all have different brains with ears merely extensions of that.  Our brain response is tempered by by genetics and environment so no two brains will interpret sounds identically.  No one has linear response to frequencies inside the head but of course the old ying/yang  scenario holds so an objection to a perceived, annoying, treble hump for listener A might not hit the same ying/yang for listener B.  Bottom line for me is a very compatible ying/yang reaction.

So, the HE400S might not be for everyone, but it is certainly worth checking out.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,140 of 2,884

Thanks.

Yes like said above WAY more flexible and well made.  Plus they don't sound bad at all, just a little rolled off on the top.  I actually prefer the sound of the aftermarket cables to the stock ones.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,141 of 2,884
  Yes like said above WAY more flexible and well made.  Plus they don't sound bad at all, just a little rolled off on the top.  I actually prefer the sound of the aftermarket cables to the stock ones.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll order a set.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,144 of 2,884
Former HE-400 owner here. Just got these in the mail - my first impressions are extremely positive! I was worried because I kept hearing this was a laid-back headphone. I'm a die-hard Beyerdynamic fan and thought the HE-400S might just sound bland to me. I was completely wrong. These headphones sound incredibly alive and dynamic to me, even with the stock pads. In fact, I also ordered the focus pads, but I actually prefer the stock velour pads.

Another thing - I don't think the headphone is lacking in the bass department. Anyone else here think the bass on this thing is rocking even with the stock pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back