NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,116 of 2,884

Thank you guys for your replies.
I wonder, are there any reasons to think that the pads from Brainwavz directly would be different than pads from Amazon? Does anybody have such experience? Both sites have the same picture with a draft, where the measurements are identical.

OK, so the reason I said not to buy them from Amazon, was I really tried to get mine to fit around the HiFiman plastic rings. It wasn't even close to fitting. I forced the ring in anyway. It actually folded over on itself it was so squished. So I returned them to Amazon. I posted that fact here about a month or so ago. I had a reply to this post stating that the pads that Amazon sold were actually smaller. The poster said I needed to get the HM5 pads from either another source or Brainwavz directly.

I still haven't gotten around to buying them. I've been pretty happy with the Focus-A pads.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,117 of 2,884
OK, so the reason I said not to buy them from Amazon, was I really tried to get mine to fit around the HiFiman plastic rings. It wasn't even close to fitting. So I returned them to Amazon. I posted that fact here about a month or so ago. I had a reply to this post stating that the pads that Amazon sold were actually smaller. The poster said I needed to get the HM5 pads from either another source or Brainwavz directly.

I still haven't gotten around to buying them. I've been pretty happy with the Focus-A pads.

Nope, just needed to be stretched out. When you first get them the plastic ring is definitely bigger than the earcup, but once you stretch them out a bit, they fit nicely (as in the pic). I also have the Focus-A pads, these are more comfortable, and I prefer the pleather over the velour trim.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,118 of 2,884
I haven't read through this entire (long) thread, so I apologize if this has been covered. Does anyone know if the 400s can be purchased from amazon in the US? If not, where are people purchasing from? Thanks a million!!

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,119 of 2,884
Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y2EOI94/ref=s9_simh_gw_g23_i4_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0P898YEX1MFVSQFNRD9F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,121 of 2,884
I've listened for about 3 weeks with the Focus pads, and wanted to share my impressions. 

I'm powering the 400S through the balanced outputs of a Pono Player. The cable is a Wireworld Pulse Nano that the manufacturer terminated for Pono balanced (2 3.5" plugs) on one end and the 400S on the other. The grills are off (which to my ears increased detail and ambiance without any penalties). The other source is an Ayre Codex. I listen mostly to jazz, rock, pop, and assorted acoustic music.

In this setup, the Focus pads shifted the headphone's tonal balance down (less treble, more bass), which I found pleasing at first; in general, I tend to prefer a darker sound. Later, I also realized that I was also hearing the midrange as significantly recessed, which made voices, guitars, brass and reed instruments, etc., sound pushed down in the mix and somewhat indistinct. The clear, natural, airy midrange is what makes this headphone special for me, and the Focus pads definitely made me enjoy it less. 

Today, after replacing the stock velour pads, I was surprised by the difference. The beautiful midrange was back, the balance was brighter, and while there was less bass, it was tighter and better defined. Also, the stock pads brought back the upper treble harmonics, which make instruments like saxophones and guitars sound more realistic. Overall, I was surprised by how much I preferred the stock pads. Perhaps the Focus A would work better. But given that I spent $40 on these, had to deal with Hifiman's pokey shipping and customer service, and the badly designed pad mounting scheme, I may not find out. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,122 of 2,884
  I've listened for about 3 weeks with the Focus pads, and wanted to share my impressions. 

I'm powering the 400S through the balanced outputs of a Pono Player. The cable is a Wireworld Pulse Nano that the manufacturer terminated for Pono balanced (2 3.5" plugs) on one end and the 400S on the other. The grills are off (which to my ears increased detail and ambiance without any penalties). The other source is an Ayre Codex. I listen mostly to jazz, rock, pop, and assorted acoustic music.

In this setup, the Focus pads shifted the headphone's tonal balance down (less treble, more bass), which I found pleasing at first; in general, I tend to prefer a darker sound. Later, I also realized that I was also hearing the midrange as significantly recessed, which made voices, guitars, brass and reed instruments, etc., sound pushed down in the mix and somewhat indistinct. The clear, natural, airy midrange is what makes this headphone special for me, and the Focus pads definitely made me enjoy it less. 

Today, after replacing the stock velour pads, I was surprised by the difference. The beautiful midrange was back, the balance was brighter, and while there was less bass, it was tighter and better defined. Also, the stock pads brought back the upper treble harmonics, which make instruments like saxophones and guitars sound more realistic. Overall, I was surprised by how much I preferred the stock pads. Perhaps the Focus A would work better. But given that I spent $40 on these, had to deal with Hifiman's pokey shipping and customer service, and the badly designed pad mounting scheme, I may not find out. 

You are at least the second person who felt the mids suffered using FocusPads after then going back to the OEM Velpads.

Yeah, it's a real PITA to go back and forth between pads. The tabs on the rings are soft and can easily get bent or deformed if you aren't being very careful. I'm keeping the Brainwavz angled on for now as I was looking for more bass and I found it with this combo. Have I lost some 'mid magic'? Perhaps, I guess I'll need to go back to Focus A or Velpads to see. I prefer the fit and feel of the FocusPads A and Brainwavz over the Velpads & never found the OEM pads to fit comfortably.

We are talking about a fantastic hp for $300 retail so I suppose everything can't be optimal!

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2,123 of 2,884

You are at least the second person who felt the mids suffered using FocusPads after then going back to the OEM Velpads.

Yeah, it's a real PITA to go back and forth between pads. The tabs on the rings are soft and can easily get bent or deformed if you aren't being very careful. I'm keeping the Brainwavz angled on for now as I was looking for more bass and I found it with this combo. Have I lost some 'mid magic'? Perhaps,I guess I'll need to go back to Focus A or Velpads to see. I prefer the fit and feel of the FocusPads A and Brainwavz over the Velpads & never found the OEM pads to fit (my head) comfortably.

We are talking about a fantastic hp for $300 retail so I suppose everything can't be optimal!

Interesting! How did you like the Focus Pad A compared to the stock pads?

And, yes, the 400S is an incredible headphone, and not just for the price. For 3 years I lived with a HD800 powered by several expensive triode tube amps, and I prefer the 400S with a Pono Player. (I also prefer the 400S to the AT 3000ANV and the HD650, both of which I still own.) The HD800 is a great sounding headphone that is lousy at playing music. The older I get, the more I am convinced that the ability to play music is the most important aspect of a piece of gear. (Good luck measuring it!) And the 400S and PP are both superb at playing music, and sound excellent to boot. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,124 of 2,884
Has anyone bought aftermarket cables for their 400S? If so, did the sound change? For better or worst and wheredid you bought it and how much?

Sorry for the many questions, just asking out of curiosity and future plan thanx

I bought a pair of these cables on ebay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161743404378?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460719869868&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I got the 3 meter ones because I needed the length for my set up.  I also didn't want to spend $100 plus shipping for the HiFiman ones.  The sound was horrible when I first hooked them up.  After i burned them in for a few days without listening to them the sound was much better.  I do think they are a little rolled off on the top end compared to the HiFiman ones.  But honestly they sound pretty good.  I also have done the grill mod and have the focus pads.  So all three mods cost me less than $100, so for $400 for everything.  In the end I am more than happy with the sound of this set up.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #2,125 of 2,884
  I bought a pair of these cables on ebay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161743404378?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460719869868&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I got the 3 meter ones because I needed the length for my set up.  I also didn't want to spend $100 plus shipping for the HiFiman ones.  The sound was horrible when I first hooked them up.  After i burned them in for a few days without listening to them the sound was much better.  I do think they are a little rolled off on the top end compared to the HiFiman ones.  But honestly they sound pretty good.  I also have done the grill mod and have the focus pads.  So all three mods cost me less than $100, so for $400 for everything.  In the end I am more than happy with the sound of this set up.

Your last sentence says it all and the only thing that really matters.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #2,126 of 2,884
  I bought a pair of these cables on ebay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161743404378?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460719869868&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I do think they are a little rolled off on the top end compared to the HiFiman ones.  But honestly they sound pretty good.

I feel the same about a pair of aftermarket cables I bought from China on E-Bay. I stay with the OEM 'stiff' HifiMan cable because it has more detail. I don't like a sibilant or bright top, but these just were too rolled off for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back