NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #2,086 of 2,884
Hello i brought these headphones about month ago my first proper headphones for music before that i used m50s at first i was worried as i like my bass the he400s sounded good but i wanted more deeper bass sound i was using my he400s with aune t1 amp with mullard tube then i heard other post about using vintage amps i had one that i use for my tv system a pionner one that was recapped 2 years ago so i hooked up my aune t1 amp to the vintage pionner amp with the loundess switch on this made massive different now i have bass with the great highs and the he400s sounds amazing iam also doing some grids mods too hopefully i get even more better sound .

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,087 of 2,884
  I have 50% 320kbps Mp3 and 50% FLAC.
With my sony xba-a3 the laptop sounds dull, bass is lacking. With my phone it sounds quite good. I get microphonics sometimes, tough. I also can easily tell a poor recording or low quality mp3 from a good one.
I listen mostly to hip hop, prog rock, jazz and downtempo electronic. Do you think ill get better sound from my current source with cheaper cans+amp/dac? I will be using the laptop anyways because thats what i use most of the day.

Yes, I do feel you will get better sound with a dac/amp and a decent pair of cans.  The 400S is a very good choice, but if budget is a concern that does not leave you with money for a better source.  Pushing budget an extra $100 could get you a decent USB dac/amp stick.  The Centrance dacport Slim sounded nice when I heard it for about $100.  There a lots of others to investigate as well. 

But if budget challenged you also have to go down a bit on headphone.  What to chose comes down to preferences of course.  Closed, open, on ear, over ear, big ear, etc all come into play.  And of course you can push the budget envelope by going used.

Good luck

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,088 of 2,884
  Yes, I do feel you will get better sound with a dac/amp and a decent pair of cans.  The 400S is a very good choice, but if budget is a concern that does not leave you with money for a better source.  Pushing budget an extra $100 could get you a decent USB dac/amp stick.  The Centrance dacport Slim sounded nice when I heard it for about $100.  There a lots of others to investigate as well. 

But if budget challenged you also have to go down a bit on headphone.  What to chose comes down to preferences of course.  Closed, open, on ear, over ear, big ear, etc all come into play.  And of course you can push the budget envelope by going used.

Good luck

I completly agree with bixby. I love my 400s, but it would not be the same if i was just listening out of my laptop. I love the sound from this can, but you will need more power to make it dance. I had a Fiio E11, but upgraded to a Creative labs E5 DAC/AMP which sounds really good....made the headphones come alive. I've since added the Appj PA1502A and have added vintage tubes and I am a very happy man!

I was like you, stretching my budget to $300 to get the planars...now I am almost a $1,000 in with nooo regrets.
But if your budget wont allow, I would look at a lower priced can, and get an dac/amp

btw, as far as the 400s goes, I also brought in the 400I to try, which is a wonderful headphone, but I (and my wife) like the 400s hands down...Ive already sent the 400i's back (with a few tears)

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,090 of 2,884
  I had a Fiio E11, but upgraded to a Creative labs E5 DAC/AMP which sounds really good....made the headphones come alive.

I was like you, stretching my budget to $300 to get the planars...now I am almost a $1,000 in with nooo regrets.
But if your budget wont allow, I would look at a lower priced can, and get an dac/amp

I am glad the E5 is working so well with them.
Thanks @bixby and @Terrynj i was fearing that i might spend too much on equipment so i set myself that hard limit lol. Ill skip these for now (i hope)

I have an idea! 

Creative just introduced a G5 dac amp not long ago.  Link  Sold out temporarily but seems to be almost identical to E5 but without Bluetooth.  At $149 this looks like a nice piece and Creative stuff is solid.  Now, here is my idea, if your ears are not too big, you definitely should listen to a Fostex T-50RP Mk III.  Planar, relatively efficient, really decent sound and it comes in three varieties.  And it is only $159.99.  total = $310, so for the price of a skipped pizza, this can fit your budget.

Here is a link to my impressions on one of  the T-50RP Mk III models.  Impressions

The Fostex are not quite as comfy as the 400S and not as refined, but they are miles ahead of most $150 cans.  And you can get different pads, and even tweak down the road if you would like, similar to what folks did to the old T-50rp.

Good Luck

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,091 of 2,884
I think that it is an excellent suggestion Bixby. Ive read really good things about the T-50 and I am veeerrry happy with the E5. I was very worried about the sound quality, but was not/ am not disappointed. My tube amp was way behind on the sound quality compared to the E5 with a good source (Tidal). It took some nice vintage tubes to make tuber something I really enjoy. But I like to go portable a lot, so I can grab the E5 and use USB OTG feature, for the same sound I get out of my laptop, and go where ever I want.

When Im plugged into my laptop, I use the E5 as my DAC, then out to my Tube Amp.With the BlueTooth it is surprising how little sound quality I loose...doesn't bother me at all.

It also has an app for my phone and laptop that has adjustable DSP features and an EQ. I can really bring out the bass with an adjustable crossover frequency that gives my 400s really good bass ...totally tune anything from high to low with virtually no coloration. There is a "hard button" on the E5, so you can turn it on and off as you wish on the go.

I've seen the G5 and I think your right, just like the E5, just no BT.

I will also give the caveat to my input, in that Ive never heard any of the other DAC's talked about on this forum, so I cant say the E5 is better than xxxx, but I know what Im hearing and being able to make small tweaks IMO will make up for any perceived differences between DACs, so it really works for me. I listen to classical, hard Rock, EDM, Dave matthews, Linda Ronstadt, Lady Gaga,  Reggie, Blue, jazz, etc... They ALL sound good to me ..I am listening to Supertramp live right now (through the bluetooth and it Really sounds good!

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,092 of 2,884
  I think that it is an excellent suggestion Bixby. Ive read really good things about the T-50 and I am veeerrry happy with the E5. I was very worried about the sound quality, but was not/ am not disappointed. My tube amp was way behind on the sound quality compared to the E5 with a good source (Tidal). It took some nice vintage tubes to make tuber something I really enjoy. But I like to go portable a lot, so I can grab the E5 and use USB OTG feature, for the same sound I get out of my laptop, and go where ever I want.

When Im plugged into my laptop, I use the E5 as my DAC, then out to my Tube Amp.With the BlueTooth it is surprising how little sound quality I loose...doesn't bother me at all.

It also has an app for my phone and laptop that has adjustable DSP features and an EQ. I can really bring out the bass with an adjustable crossover frequency that gives my 400s really good bass ...totally tune anything from high to low with virtually no coloration. There is a "hard button" on the E5, so you can turn it on and off as you wish on the go.

I've seen the G5 and I think your right, just like the E5, just no BT.

I will also give the caveat to my input, in that Ive never heard any of the other DAC's talked about on this forum, so I cant say the E5 is better than xxxx, but I know what Im hearing and being able to make small tweaks IMO will make up for any perceived differences between DACs, so it really works for me. I listen to classical, hard Rock, EDM, Dave matthews, Linda Ronstadt, Lady Gaga,  Reggie, Blue, jazz, etc... They ALL sound good to me ..I am listening to Supertramp live right now (through the bluetooth and it Really sounds good!

Funny, I was going to ask you how you felt the dac compared to some others, but agree a few light choices on a good eq might mitigate all the hand wringing over dacs.  When my geek friends and I get together to compare two dacs, many times it is a power or cable change that has us noticing something more than the actual swap out of dacs. the differences are really small many times, not always.

May have to get one of these G5s at some point.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #2,093 of 2,884
  400s is noticeable more bassy compared to HD600 ?

With stock pads it is about the same. With HM5 pads it is bassy enough to live with it. But if you want great bass, buy X2.

EDIT: Also depends on what music you listen. With acoustic and classical HD600 and 400s are better. With EDM X2 is better. 400s with HM5 pads is somewhere half way.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,094 of 2,884
I understand the purist that want everything ala naturale' but I cant afford Expedition X with a $1,000 worth of DAC/AMPs. .On my Appj PA1502, I added a Sylvania JHS5751WA preamp tube 1958), and two Tung Sol 6V6GTA (1956). I love the sound, creamy, tighter images, details seem almost as good as the 400I (the images are bigger on the 400s, so they're not quite as tight).
That tells me the DAC on the E5 is really good ..(USB out of my laptop into the E5). It also has fibre optic/3.5 in, 3.5mm out.

I spoke about the App...here it is on my laptop, but its the same on my galaxy s6

I dont use the EQ much, but I do use the SBX control...mostly to add bass. The cross over freq slider ads sub-bass... it is all clean (if you don't bloat it, and you dont have to with the Planar)

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2,095 of 2,884
You guys got me hooked on the g5. Ill look up to it. My wallet wont be very happy tough.

@Terrynj Do you think its noticeably better than the E11 on cheaper headphones? if you have any to try. Of course. And have you tried it with low impedance iems? Thats my last concern.

Anyway ill research for myself that. But its nice to have someone to review the product. Thanks.

(Sorry for going off topic lol)

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2,096 of 2,884
You guys got me hooked on the g5. Ill look up to it. My wallet wont be very happy tough.

@Terrynj Do you think its noticeably better than the E11 on cheaper headphones? if you have any to try. Of course. And have you tried it with low impedance iems? Thats my last concern.

Anyway ill research for myself that. But its nice to have someone to review the product. Thanks.

(Sorry for going off topic lol)

Yes, we are getting a little off topic, but I think it is all integral to getting the sound you want. What works best together. I think a lot of the issues in all of us trying to convey "what does it sound like" to each other, is we all have different environments, sources, internet hookups if you stream like I do), DACs, Amps, tubes, cables, headphones...all contribute to the "sound" we strive for. So I think these discussions are important when talking about a headphones and how we feed them.

Unfortunately, my E11 crapped out just days after I got my 400s (wont charge anymore)...the sound of the 400s was so different (and better) than anything I had ever heard, that I cant really comment abut the E11. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago when I made my first attempt and getting a better way of listening to my music. I mostly listening to IEM's, (Klisch si4) before and I wanted better, so I bought  a VModa M80..didnt know it was an on-ear, and didnt like the sound. But I did use the E11 quite a bit and I enjoyed it a lot, but there is nothing I can say about it, because my headphones I used it on, are not in the same league as the 400s. I wouldn't count it out, I just cant compare it to my E5.

When I started looking for a replacement for it, I was really interested in the E12 Mont Blanc...it really gets a lot of good reviews. The Schiit Magni 2 is also in that price range. Now just to clarify, these are amp only (no DAC) but will take you a long way in getting the sound you want...plenty of power. There is more to power than just how loud it will go, there is also dynamic headroom. That is needed when you are cruising along listening to a soft passage, and then POW, everything kicks in, your better amp will be able to respond...that will be what these will give you, that your laptop can't. The DACs (Digital to analog converter) are another refinement, but that is why the G5 and others are more expensive.

I use Amazon and YouTube alot when I am looking for new things I'm not familiar with...just be cautious, because nowadays, people are given product for good reviews by manufactures...so you have to weed through them and look at more than just a few..This forum is also good because you get a lot of honest opinions in here. 
Have fun in your pursuit!

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,097 of 2,884
  Without doing a tedious (and IMO PITA) A/B/C back and forth I 'think' I have found every step up to be an improvement...........at least in bass performance. OEM Velpads > Focus A > Brainwavz.
More comfort for my head/ears as well although the Focus A and Brainwavz were both better than the Velpads and not vastly different in comfort one to the other.

Anyone have an EASY on / off / back on / for pad swapping? I'm finding the plastic tabs are very soft and can get a bit bent if not careful when reattaching the pads.

I'm Staying with the Brainwavz angled pads for now.................more comfortable and more bass!

Thanks so much! Very helpful! I hope other people can see this too.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #2,098 of 2,884
  Hello guys, im thinking about buying this cans as my first mid-fi over ears (I only own some mid-fi iems, i plan to use the cans for home listening), do you think this is a solid buy without any amp/dac?

or should i just go for some cheaper cans+amp, my hard limit is $300 and im not planning to buy any other audio equipment in years. So must i choose correctly. I think my second choice rather than these are ath-ad900x with some fiio amp/dac.

My source is my laptop that has el cheapo soundcard and my samsung galaxy s5.

It is definitely a solid buy with or without an amp. But having a good dedicated amp or dac will definitely make these better.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #2,100 of 2,884
  Without doing a tedious (and IMO PITA) A/B/C back and forth I 'think' I have found every step up to be an improvement...........at least in bass performance. OEM Velpads > Focus A > Brainwavz.
More comfort for my head/ears as well although the Focus A and Brainwavz were both better than the Velpads and not vastly different in comfort one to the other.

Anyone have an EASY on / off / back on / for pad swapping? I'm finding the plastic tabs are very soft and can get a bit bent if not careful when reattaching the pads.

I'm Staying with the Brainwavz angled pads for now.................more comfortable and more bass!

Also I think you meant, " OEM Velpads <Focus A <Brainwavz"? Right not "OEM Velpads > Focus A > Brainwavz." Because that would mean the velpads were the best and brainwavz the worst. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back