NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 7, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #346 of 2,884
  Funny, you should say. When the 400i came out someone sent me and original 400. They turned out to be pretty different. Should be interesting to see how the tuning came out on these.

Haha, yeah...from what I recalled from the HE-400, the HE400i sounded quite different. I'm hoping the HE-400S sounds more along the lines of the HE-400, with the same airiness and deep bass. I'd love for the "S" in HE-400S to stand for "Super".

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #347 of 2,884

Looks like a variation of Focus A pads, similar inside, but velour instead of imitation leather around the outside!  First thing I noticed is wide soundstage......nice smooth treble, no tizz, bass is good as well, typical Hifiman planar sound.  Sound is very well balanced.   I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later!  For a low end (price) headphone I think Hifiman hit a home run!

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #348 of 2,884

Looks like a variation of Focus A pads, similar inside, but velour instead of imitation leather around the outside!  First thing I noticed is wide soundstage......nice smooth treble, no tizz, bass is good as well, typical Hifiman planar sound.  Sound is very well balanced.   I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later!  For a low end (price) headphone I think Hifiman hit a home run!

Most people will want to know just how good the bass is, especially in comparison to the original 400. Can you comment?

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #349 of 2,884
I'm most interested in resolving ability, imaging, & tonal balance/timbre, as well.  Is this a phone that's closer to the HE-560's tuning or a more colored approach?  Thoughts appreciated!

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #351 of 2,884
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #352 of 2,884

I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later! 

Enjoy your first moments with them! 

Then... for science...
What are your driving them with?  I'd be interested to hear how the Fiio works out.  Also, how does the stock cable fare?

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #353 of 2,884

Most people will want to know just how good the bass is, especially in comparison to the original 400. Can you comment?

As we already know, the HE-400 is V shaped, so bass on the HE-400, and treble are elevated.  The HE-400S being more balanced has very good bass, smoother treble, but the mids are more forward.  It is really hard to compare the 400S bass to the 400 bass because of that.  I haven't listened to enough tracks to compare the two, plus I am not a bass head, I like balanced sound.  I can say the mids are much better than the HE-4 and the HE-400.  It appears that Hifiman was looking for a more balanced sound with the 400S.  We sill need to hearsome opinions of those who have heard the 400 bass to compare to the 400S.  I have the HE-6, HE-4 and HE-400 along with the 400S, and I can't say they are lacking any bass, all Hifiman cans deliver on that, an hour of listening time isn't enough to make any definite comparisons.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #354 of 2,884

nice smooth treble, no tizz, bass is good as well, typical Hifiman planar sound

Seems like first impressions are promising. Treble quality and smoothness are things I'm really worried about. For example, AKG K612 PRO deliver absolutely the best quality treble in their price range. But even pricier Fostex TH600 have a disgusting treble peak which can be so annoying that I've almost decided to sell them. I also used to have HiFiMAN HE-4 but again there was too much treble for my taste. Though I miss that planar sound a bit. Please do HE-400S vs HE-4 comparison after some HE-400S burn-in.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #355 of 2,884

I can say the mids are much better than the HE-4 and the HE-400.  It appears that Hifiman was looking for a more balanced sound with the 400S.

This is welcome news for me.  I am just looking for a full size headphone with a balanced sound, and $300 is pretty much my budget right now.  Thanks for the early impressions.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #356 of 2,884
  I'm most interested in resolving ability, imaging, & tonal balance/timbre, as well.  Is this a phone that's closer to the HE-560's tuning or a more colored approach?  Thoughts appreciated!

IMO, the 400S is more of what I would have expected of the 560.  I think in the 400S Hifiman has finally fixed the treble issues I had.....I had and sold the 560 three times.

Imaging and soundstage width, instrument placement is very good, at this price it is excellent, IMO.  "Balanced" is a very good description of the 400S!

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #357 of 2,884

I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later! 

Enjoy your first moments with them! 

Then... for science...
What are your driving them with?  I'd be interested to hear how the Fiio works out.  Also, how does the stock cable fare?

Using my Metrum Octave MKII and Kenzie tube amp, so upper midfi.  I have the iDSD, but haven't tried that yet, it is on my Sansa Fuze right now!  Can't help with the stock cable, never use them.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #359 of 2,884

IMO, the 400S is more of what I would have expected of the 560.  I think in the 400S Hifiman has finally fixed the treble issues I had.....I had and sold the 560 three times.

Imaging and soundstage width, instrument placement is very good, at this price it is excellent, IMO.  "Balanced" is a very good description of the 400S!

Your impressions are making me excited to get my hands on these.
smile.gif
I wonder if this will beat Fidelio X2 in this price range?

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #360 of 2,884

Your impressions are making me excited to get my hands on these.
smile.gif
I wonder if this will beat Fidelio X2 in this price range?

I think the X2 has more bass emphasis, but the 400S smells better, LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back