NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #376 of 2,884

Looks like a variation of Focus A pads, similar inside, but velour instead of imitation leather around the outside!  First thing I noticed is wide soundstage......nice smooth treble, no tizz, bass is good as well, typical Hifiman planar sound.  Sound is very well balanced.   I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later!  For a low end (price) headphone I think Hifiman hit a home run!

Most people will want to know just how good the bass is, especially in comparison to the original 400. Can you comment?

As we already know, the HE-400 is V shaped, so bass on the HE-400, and treble are elevated.  The HE-400S being more balanced has very good bass, smoother treble, but the mids are more forward.  It is really hard to compare the 400S bass to the 400 bass because of that.  I haven't listened to enough tracks to compare the two, plus I am not a bass head, I like balanced sound.  I can say the mids are much better than the HE-4 and the HE-400.  It appears that Hifiman was looking for a more balanced sound with the 400S.  We sill need to hearsome opinions of those who have heard the 400 bass to compare to the 400S.  I have the HE-6, HE-4 and HE-400 along with the 400S, and I can't say they are lacking any bass, all Hifiman cans deliver on that, an hour of listening time isn't enough to make any definite comparisons.

IMHO if the bass isn't more/stronger than the he-4 than its not really for me. It wouldnt last here that long in my stable that is literally the only reason I let it go. I still enjoyed the 4 quite a bit but I am a confessed basshead.. 

Probably the only Hifiman with enough bass head bass, might be the HE-6, so you need to look elsewhere for a more V shaped headphone!

I dont want v shaped. I hate that word. it means no mids. the he500 bass is adequate for me and its not basshead. The LCD-X is good enough too. I hope its atleast some where around there. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #377 of 2,884
I understand that the HE-400S has a nice wide soundstage, can anyone comment on the airiness? Besides the bass, one of my favorite things about the HE-400 was the sense of space and air around all the instruments.

Could be something that surfaces more through some burn time too...

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #378 of 2,884
  I dont want v shaped. I hate that word. it means no mids. the he500 bass is adequate for me and its not basshead. The LCD-X is good enough too. I hope its atleast some where around there. 

Not sure, but I don't think anyone could/would be able to reproduce either of those signatures at $299. Would be a game changer if so.

Still waiting on the dhl ninja...

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #379 of 2,884

Not sure, but I don't think anyone could/would be able to reproduce either of those signatures at $299. Would be a game changer if so.

Still waiting on the dhl ninja...

isn't the x2 like that in balance? never heard it. based on what I read... If I had an x2 that was a planar and sounded open I would hang my hat there. Tyll did call it a game changer I have hope lol!!!

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #381 of 2,884
I was not a big fan of the HE-400i, too dark for my tastes.

So the HE-400s sound more 'alive' than the HE-400i ?

Same sentiments here. The 560 is very good save for the lower treble peak and slight sub bass roll off. Could use slightly more energy in thr upper treble region maybe.
But it is a great phone. I wonder how close the 400S gets... Might jump the gun :rolleyes:

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #382 of 2,884
Matt, have you heard the 560?
Whats your current reference?
Cheers

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #384 of 2,884
Is the bass very punchy/physical with these? 
I want some more comfy then my LCD-3Fs and listen to alot of electronic music so I love that deep powerful "in ur face" bass 

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #390 of 2,884
'quietly but eagerly awaits first impressions'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back