NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 7, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #361 of 2,884
Cute...thanks for the early thoughts. So far, it's sounding as though the 400s and 400i are very similar. I wonder how they are differentiated. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #362 of 2,884
very cool...
Been wanting to get into planars for a long time now.  Mad Dogs are too closed-in sounding, HE400 treble was too excessive for my tastes, HE400i is more $$ than I want to spend.

At $300 msrp this could be the ticket.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #363 of 2,884
IMO, the 400S is more of what I would have expected of the 560.  I think in the 400S Hifiman has finally fixed the treble issues I had.....I had and sold the 560 three times.

Imaging and soundstage width, instrument placement is very good, at this price it is excellent, IMO.  "Balanced" is a very good description of the 400S!

Cute,
Could you please briefly compare the 400S and 560?
What tonality differences there are, how is detail, air, soundstage, etc.
Anything that comes to mind is appreciated!
Thanks

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #364 of 2,884

IMO, the 400S is more of what I would have expected of the 560.  I think in the 400S Hifiman has finally fixed the treble issues I had.....I had and sold the 560 three times.

Imaging and soundstage width, instrument placement is very good, at this price it is excellent, IMO.  "Balanced" is a very good description of the 400S!

Very good news!

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #366 of 2,884
Jul 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #369 of 2,884

Looks like a variation of Focus A pads, similar inside, but velour instead of imitation leather around the outside!  First thing I noticed is wide soundstage......nice smooth treble, no tizz, bass is good as well, typical Hifiman planar sound.  Sound is very well balanced.   I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later!  For a low end (price) headphone I think Hifiman hit a home run!

Most people will want to know just how good the bass is, especially in comparison to the original 400. Can you comment?

As we already know, the HE-400 is V shaped, so bass on the HE-400, and treble are elevated.  The HE-400S being more balanced has very good bass, smoother treble, but the mids are more forward.  It is really hard to compare the 400S bass to the 400 bass because of that.  I haven't listened to enough tracks to compare the two, plus I am not a bass head, I like balanced sound.  I can say the mids are much better than the HE-4 and the HE-400.  It appears that Hifiman was looking for a more balanced sound with the 400S.  We sill need to hearsome opinions of those who have heard the 400 bass to compare to the 400S.  I have the HE-6, HE-4 and HE-400 along with the 400S, and I can't say they are lacking any bass, all Hifiman cans deliver on that, an hour of listening time isn't enough to make any definite comparisons.

IMHO if the bass isn't more/stronger than the he-4 than its not really for me. It wouldnt last here that long in my stable that is literally the only reason I let it go. I still enjoyed the 4 quite a bit but I am a confessed basshead.. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #370 of 2,884
  Cute...thanks for the early thoughts. So far, it's sounding as though the 400s and 400i are very similar. I wonder how they are differentiated. 

I disagree, not at all like the 400i.....it lacked soundstage and good smooth treble, and imo sounded dark!

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #371 of 2,884

Looks like a variation of Focus A pads, similar inside, but velour instead of imitation leather around the outside!  First thing I noticed is wide soundstage......nice smooth treble, no tizz, bass is good as well, typical Hifiman planar sound.  Sound is very well balanced.   I am using my DHC Silver Peptide cable, pure silver, sound is spacious and holographic with this cable!  Those that appreciate balanced sound with good deep bass/sub bass will enjoy these.  Need to go through my test tracks, more later!  For a low end (price) headphone I think Hifiman hit a home run!

Most people will want to know just how good the bass is, especially in comparison to the original 400. Can you comment?

As we already know, the HE-400 is V shaped, so bass on the HE-400, and treble are elevated.  The HE-400S being more balanced has very good bass, smoother treble, but the mids are more forward.  It is really hard to compare the 400S bass to the 400 bass because of that.  I haven't listened to enough tracks to compare the two, plus I am not a bass head, I like balanced sound.  I can say the mids are much better than the HE-4 and the HE-400.  It appears that Hifiman was looking for a more balanced sound with the 400S.  We sill need to hearsome opinions of those who have heard the 400 bass to compare to the 400S.  I have the HE-6, HE-4 and HE-400 along with the 400S, and I can't say they are lacking any bass, all Hifiman cans deliver on that, an hour of listening time isn't enough to make any definite comparisons.

IMHO if the bass isn't more/stronger than the he-4 than its not really for me. It wouldnt last here that long in my stable that is literally the only reason I let it go. I still enjoyed the 4 quite a bit but I am a confessed basshead.. 

Probably the only Hifiman with enough bass head bass, might be the HE-6, so you need to look elsewhere for a more V shaped headphone!

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #372 of 2,884
Very nice sounding pair of phones. Bass goes deep when called and goes deep, real deep. Better sounding than he-400 for sure. Very balanced sound. Nothing seems out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back