Need upgrade advice!
Jan 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jeskinner

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. I'm looking to upgrade from my first set of audiophile cans (Grado SR60i) and I'm not sure what to get. I like the sound of the Grados, but I don't have much to compare them to. While I want good accurate sound, I wouldn't mind if my new pair had a little more low-end punch than the Grados. Other than that, I am looking for a good soundstage, good separation, and as much clarity as possible. Open or closed does not matter. Comfort is also a big deal to me, which is why I think I'm probably looking for full-size headphones. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anywhere in my area where I can go listen to higher-end phones, so I am coming to you guys. I've been looking at the Sennheiser 555, 558, 595, and 518s, but I'm really open to anything. I'm looking to spend $100-200. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks! Wow, that's a lot to look through. The 990s look pretty good. I'd be running them off a Logitech Z4 speaker system plugged in to a Sound Blaster Titanium, do you think that would run 250 Ohm headphones pretty well? By comparison, I usually have it at about 50% volume for my Grados.

Plugged into the Titanium, it should be fine. I would not plug the headphones into the Logitech jack.

Very best,

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Oh really? I didn't know there would be a sound quality difference. I'm assuming you wouldn't recommend it because running through the Logitech dampens or clouds the signal more than running it straight in?

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Oh really? I didn't know there would be a sound quality difference. I'm assuming you wouldn't recommend it because running through the Logitech dampens or clouds the signal more than running it straight in?

Every time you add something to the circuit chain, you're introducing potential for loss. I would not expect high grade connectivity from a headphone port on a pair of budget speakers (the power, output rating, quality, etc is likely not nearly what it is simply plugged directly into your Titanium). No point in buying nice headphones if you're just going to plug them into a really noisy or potentially poor source.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back