Need to know if I have the DT-990 600ohm version.
Aug 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Velocity

Head-Fier
Well, yesterday i was going to my local Hi-Fi shop to buy a pair of DT 990 600 ohm.
But the funny thing was that is wasnt marked on the box wich Ohm version it was, so I asked them if they was really shure it was the 600 ohm version. They opened the box and look around after any confirmation but couldnt find any, so they just told me that they where 99% sure it was the 600ohm cause it was the only model they ordered from beyerdynamics.

Now I tested my DT 990 directly trough the laptop Im using and i find it wierd that I can get it to very high volumes. Shouldnt 600ohm version be kind of hard driven? But then, it sounds weaker and thinner compered to when i drive it with the HDP nuforce.
I also read that 600 version have a stamp on the plug, mine doesnt. 
On the nuforce HDP i have to go about 2-3o'clock to get really loud but still listenable levels, wich about the same as the with the k701. 

So, what do you think?
Thx.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Actually if you listen at moderate levels, you'd be surprised things like an iPod or laptop can drive the DT990 600Ω to high enough levels and decent dynamism.

Anyways, right on the end of its cord it should say which ohm version it is.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 17
Heya,

They have it on the cable. Here's what mine looked like:

It has 600ohm on the termination there.

I've put it in other threads, but the DT990 can play from my Sansa Fuze at medium volume. Impedance doesn't really mean "hard to drive" or "large power requirement". It's just one part of the scheme. Beyers aren't terribly insensitive. You can get decent volume on their high impedance from low power sources. Now, it doesn't mean you're getting the full potential of the Beyer, but you can get volume. So keep that in mind. It will sound different when powerfully amplified.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
I also read that 600 version have a stamp on the plug, mine doesnt. 

Quote:

They have it on the cable. Here's what mine looked like:

also check the strain relief as it enters the left ear cup.  it might be on the inside.
my dt990 have the ohms engraved here.  it's certainly "hidden" from view.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 17
I see. But there isnt any stamp at all on my cable. 
confused.gif
 And not anywhere else on the headphone. buhuhu

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I see. But there isnt any stamp at all on my cable. 
confused.gif
 And not anywhere else on the headphone. buhuhu

Weird,

Well, even my box for the DT990 had a "600ohm version" stamp on it.

It's not like the price is different really, so it shouldn't be a big deal, if they sound good... they sound good, right?

Very best,

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Weird,

Well, even my box for the DT990 had a "600ohm version" stamp on it.

It's not like the price is different really, so it shouldn't be a big deal, if they sound good... they sound good, right?

Very best,

They do indeed sound good! May not be the most correct sounding can, but I tried the K701 at the store to and it sounding **** boring compared to DT 990 :)
With the HDP a little bit bright tho, so i had to do a minor EQ correction. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I had a similar problem a while ago,identifying my 990's,here's a link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/487623/i-jus-got-the-dt990-600-ohm

Okey I see. Guess I have to bring a multimeter from my job tomorrow then.

For DT990 being my first pair of phones over 100$ they are pretty pretty **** good :) 
That soundstage is huge! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qir2f8H-8I sounds massive as hell!
I bought DT990 just for this kind of trance, and I can tell that was a perfect match.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 17
Yepp, this would be the easiest way.. Just measure the tip against ring or sleeve and if you can see sth around 600 Ohm it is the 600 Ohm version..

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 17
i read somewhere that if you take the pad off and then pop that ring out they're are different color somethings(can't remember what) inside there by the driver and the color indicates impedance.  i know thats a lot of help righ

they are the "premium" version right?

the boxes usually have stickers on them denoting the impedance.  Im gonna make an UNeducated guess that they are 250 ohm.  You could probably email Beyerdynamic and ask them.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Just measured. 245 ohm. Well, I like the sound of it. But it feels wrong to buy the 600 and then get the 250 version from a Hi Fi shop. And for the aftermarket 600 ohm probably worth more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back