Need new headphones- ATH-M50, HD-448, HD-280 Pro, Sony MDR V6
Apr 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
Already - think I'll just go for the M50 so I don't end up with buyer remorse later. :)

Which then is a better solution for portability - coiled or uncoiled cord?  I wish it had a shorter one with an extension.

The coiled will be better for portability because the cord is not completely coiled so you can stuff the coiled part into your pocket and then have a good length of straight cord hanging out

at least thats how i do it

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 35
I'll be running the headphones mostly out of a USB soundcard on my laptop. The built in headphone jack seems to create distortion on certain frequences (some lows, some highs) with all headphones I use. Could be all the headphones (all are pretty cheap), but I suspect a lousy soundcard at fault.

So I am concerned with a coiled cord that it might pull/weigh down on the USB device, putting pressure on it if I extend the cord out too much or alow it to drop off my lap/desk. With a straight cord I could loop it to avoid this a bit. But really hate to have to deal with the length, especially since it will be so thick. The thin 10' cable on my Senheisser eh-150s is annoying enough, even looped up with an elastic.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 35
I use the coiled cable and I have no issues with it, but I've seen a thread somewhere around here showing people with the straight cable braided to their liking. Pretty sweet.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #21 of 35
+1

Same thing I do!, works perfect!

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 35
Crap. BHphotovideo.com won't deliver AT headphones to Canada - manufacturer restriction. Crap.

Maybe I'll go with the Senheisser 280 pro instead - those are ok for delivery.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #23 of 35
Found an ebay listing for the ATH-M50 coiled headphones from a dealer (aSavings) for $119 that will deliver to Canada using USPS for $10, meaning no hidden brokerage fees like UPS (they really screw us over here). The straight version is alomst $20 more!! What a rip off. Don't feel nearly as confident over ebay, especially if there are problems, but this seller seems pretty legit overall. Still, I feel much more comfortable using a major online retailer like B&H.

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #24 of 35
MAn, too many options. Took a look at the Sony MDR-ZX700, looks like a very good set as well, love the shorter cable with the extension. I wonder though is it really worth twice as much as the Son MDR-V6?

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #27 of 35
Alright, done. Ordered the ATH-M50 straight through Scitscat. $110 (actually about $106 because the Canadian dollar is worth more than the USA dollar at the moment) and free shipping, even to Canada, and no surprise fees because it's USPS!! Awesome, can't wait! Only problem is it might take a couple of weeks to arrive, but it'll be worth it. Now, just need to figure out how to tell my girlfriend I spent a bunch of money of new headphones... :O Nah, she's cool. :)

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #28 of 35
Hi guys,first post in the forum and i want to say i am glad to be here...
I am also a big fan of ath-m50's so as expected i ordered a pair from ebay yesterday but unfortunately compared to cheffy i had to pay about 160 U.S dollars because the shipping costs to my country are a bit expensive via USPS Express international.I don't mind though because i think these babies are full worth the cost..
I also found one site similar to ebay called ioffer.com in which everybody is selling ath-m50's at about 60 U.S dollars.
Does anybody checked out this site in the past because something is telling my that most of the sellers there are scamers.
Until my ath-m50's arrive i am currently enjoying my music with this combo..

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #29 of 35
I'm guessing some of those cheap m50s are either used or fakes. If it looks too good to be true... Sometimes it's worth paying the price for the peace of mind, like you did.

I was going to end up paying near $150 anyway from the other place I was going to order with taxes and everything. I'll still need to pay a $5 processing fee plus taxes, so in total it should cost me around $123 ($105 CAD + 13% taxes +$5 fee).

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #30 of 35
Right Cheffy you'll never know what the result will be with those guys at ioffer.com.
But because i am  a curious little person  i took the chance and ordered a pair from a seller there who seemed to be more reliable than others..
Now if he send me fakes or a pair of sunglasses instead of the cans i will dispute the transaction to paypal and get my money back.
But if they are for real i will own an extra pair of m50's for about 60 dollars..
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back