Need new headphones- ATH-M50, HD-448, HD-280 Pro, Sony MDR V6
Apr 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Cheffy

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a new pair of headphones to listen to music at work etc. I am no audiophile, but really want a good set of closed-set headphones for under $125 and I am placing comfort high on my list as I will be wearing them for hours at a time. Sound isolation is important as I work in an office. I currently own Senheisser eH-150, which are supraaural and sit too tight on my ears, making be uncomfortable in less than an hour. They also seem to fuzz a little on certain low frequencies - quite annoying.

I've been reading a ridiculous amount of reviews, and having some trouble making a decision. The options I've narrowed it down to so far are: ATH-M50, HD-448, HD-280 Pro, Sony MDR V6

My needs:

Comfort - I have medium sized ears that sit flat on my head and are very sensitive to pressure. I need earphones that will completely cover my ears. I don't mind a bit of pressure on my head as long as it doesn't press on my ears themselves.

Isolation: I would prefer headphones with better isolation to minimise incoming office or airplane noise. Less worried about sound leakage as I don't crank the volume too high.

Sound Quality: I listen to rock/electronica, some classical and jazz, mostly off my laptop, sometimes my MP3 player (on my phone). I don't want to use an amplifier so I need headphones that don't require a powerful source for good sound/volume. I generally listen at low to medium volumes, prefer a warm sound, but on my laptop I can adjust the basic winamp EQ to suit my tastes if the headphones are fairly neutral/flat. My sounds files are MP3 or WMA, mostly ripped from 256-320 kbps (i.e. decent quality rips). With my current headphones I usually increase the low and high frequencies and lower the mids, but would like to experiment more with mids. I'm open to better sound.

Portability: I will be transporting these around, so durability is important. I try to be careful, but things happen. Foldable headphones would be nice, but not necessary, as it will be in my backpack.

My thoughts:

Initially I was thinking the HD-448, but read the ear pads are supposedly kind of small for a circumaural design and it fits kind of loose so sound isolation might not be great. Then I considered the HD-280 pros, which have fantastic sound isolation, but hear they fit very tight and are uncomfortable for some. I've also heard the sound quality, while very good, can be off-putting some. So I've been leaning to the ATH-M50 since, heard almost nothing but good things. But concerned the ear pads might sit on the ears instead of around, and therefore be a little uncomfortable. Toyed with the idea of the Sony MDR V6 with the velour ear pads but hear very mixed results about sound quality compared to the ATH-m50 and HD-280 Pro.

I'm from Canada, and ordering online from the US as we get gouged here for the same headphones. But I need to be careful as shipping and brokerage fees can turn a good deal into a bad one quick. I will probably order from BHphotovideo.com as they offer the best shipping options for the lowest price.

Thanks for anyone's input, much appreciated.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 35
The M50 seems like the one for you!  My only complaint about it is its pleather earpads.  You might find yourself taking them off every half hour or hour and giving a quick wipedown of the earpads to get rid of any built up oil or sweat.  Besides that they're miracle workers for the price point.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 35
The ATH-m50 is definitely where I am leaning. But also just saw the Sony MDR XB700 - while I am not hunting for bass, and understand that these are not in the same leaugue probably as the ATH-M50, a lot of positive reviews that say the sound is pretty balanced and the lows are not boomy so much as better defined. More importantly, a lot of people mention that they are very comfortable, and the padding blocks a lot of sound. I'm not sure if I'd be able to fully appreciate what the M50 has to offer, especially for some of my MP3s that are not high qualityh (128-256 kbps, though the majority of my files are 256-320).

Any thoughts on the Sony MDR XB700 vs the M50 for a more casual listener? The Sony's are around $80 while the M50 is $120, though the money isn't a big issue.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 35
After reading some more MDR-XB700 info and reviews, I am leaning to them over the ATH-M50s, in terms of comfort and perhaps even approachability sound-wise. I like bass, though not mind-numbingly, and while there are varying opinions, the most well constructed opinions seem favourable about the overall capabilities of the MDR-XB700 as a relatively balanced but fun headphone. More or less what I want, something with good reproduction of mid-highs and highs but with good bass clarity and feel.

If on a scale of 1-10 for overall sound quality the M50 were a 10, and the cheapest headphones you could imagine were a 1, where would the MDR-XB700 rank in a general sense? I know there are specific headphones for specific music genres and purposes, but as a general use headphone, what are people's perceptions?

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 35
Have you checked out the portable headphone roundup?  It does a good job of comparing the XB700 and M50 on 10 point meters, but mixed in with a grander scene of headphones.

If you havn't, it might be a good read.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-76-portable-headphones-reviewed-pioneer-se-mj5-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added-04-07

The M50s are more neutral as they're supposed to be a studio monitor yes, but they still have a bit of a smile curve to them, and they have slightly emphasized bass and treble, and if it's one thing the M50 would do over the XB700, it would provide better treble.  The bass of it isn't what I'd like to call boomy, but slightly punchy on the drums, and extends really low with great detail and texture-- makes every song have a different sounding bassline.  

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 35
I only have the m50s so I am biased, but I highly recommend them. Ive had them for about 6 months and theres not one day that goes by that I regret my purchase.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 35
As long as the M50 are quite comfortable to wear for prolonged periods, resting around my ears an not on them at all, it would probably be a better choice I think. I can always use the EQ to modify the sound to my liking.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 35
That would be my one and only complaint of the M50.  Being a closed headphone that seals exceptionally well and uses pleather earpads, your ears will get hot over time, and you will accumulate sweat on the pads.  Comfort wise they have a very good fit.  Just keep a trusty cloth with you to wipe them down.  I think it'd be pretty hard to achieve a perfect long term comfort with anything that isn't open backed.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 35
I had the m50's and they are great, but not exactly very portable with the 10 foot long straight cable. Idk how the coiled one is though, but it's probably pretty heavy. I also had the sony v6. They are great headphones, very warm, but if you want more bass, then go with the m50's. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 35
Already - think I'll just go for the M50 so I don't end up with buyer remorse later. :)

Which then is a better solution for portability - coiled or uncoiled cord?  I wish it had a shorter one with an extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back