Need help deciding for a <90$ Headphone
May 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

NoSo

New Head-Fier
So, my grandma randomly decides to give me 100 bucks. Immediately I think about getting new headphones. I currently own the HD 201's and the AKG K81 DJ's for portability.

I specifically listen to Dance/Electronic music such as drum and bass, trance, happy hardcore, hardstyle, dubstep, house, etc.

I've been looking into several headphones but I'm not too sure which one would fit best. I'm looking for some punchy and quick bass considering that my favorite genres would be that of drum and bass and trance.
Soundstage and clarity are the next important things.

Headphones I've been considering:
HD 555's (supposedly it's possible to mod to sound like the 595's? I've also heard they leak)
Grado Sr60i or Sr80i (Not too sure on these, they also leak)
ATH AD700 (This or the HD 555's seem very close. I also heard it's great for gaming which I do everyday. The bass from what i've read isn't as powerful?)
Sennheiser V6 (A well praised headphone, especially on the budget, but i've been having mixed feelings about what i've read on its bass)
Ultrasone HFI 450 (Not too sure about these, haven't read much about them but in general, Ultrasone is great for bass)

Thanks for your opinions, any other recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

May 25, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 19
try the srh440, with some good eq'ing the bass is sublime and it intrinsically has above average clarity and soundstage. 

May 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
How are the hd555s? I heard you can mod them easily into 595s but i'm not too sure if they have enough bass, i heard they lacked some.

Yes, they are bass weak. Not a good idea...

Probably you'll like the ultrasones. 

May 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 19
If you can find them cheap how about the Shure SRH550DJ. It is generally around $99.

May 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 19
With a bit of searching and time I think you can find an ATH-M50 for about 90 bucks. Second choice would be the Ultrasones.

May 25, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Yes, they are bass weak. Not a good idea...

Probably you'll like the ultrasones. 

+2 plus 555/595 are open back. So sound leakage.

Do you want closed or open cans?

AD700 is open so again sound leakage. For comfort wise, it's suppose to be awesome. Haven't tried it out personally but just by the overall structure, I can understand why people would say why they are very comfortable. A700 is the closed version which I was in debate between the m50. I picked the m50 because it packs a bit more bass.

V6 never tried before. But since it's Sennheiser I can understand that it'll still have neutral/lacking bass like all of their cans.

As well as Shure 440/840, neutral sound and lacking bass but quick and light thumpy response.

Ultrasones, yes for bass.

If you're a total bass head and bass is on the top of your list of at most importance; consider these:
Koss DJ100 pro and Sony xb 500/700/1000.

I'm recommending m50 because I just got them yesterday and it's my first pair of real headphones. So can't complain. Much more than I expect. Much burning in to do, but so far they are just, fantastic.

May 25, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 19
I'm not much of a basshead, in fact too much bass will just kill me (as would most people too i guess). I just want the bass that's there, noticeable and gives a nice impact to your ears but not too much.

I heard that the Dj100 pro is comparable to that of the m50s if im not correct.

Again, i can't really go out at all of my budget because I have very limited money until in the summer when i get a job. I missed a job interview call because i was in school :frowning2:

May 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 19
dang that sucks =\ 

Did you call back and explain that you were in class?

Yeah the dj100's are pretty equivalent. If you can't dish out the $150 for m50's or possibly $100 if you get it price matched from b&h or somewhere.

Dj's go for $75 I think? get it priced matched and get it for cheaper.

Also bhphotovideo.com is having a 10% off sale everything all weekend with free shipping for memorial weekend. So price match and 10% off with free ship? Sounds like a good deal :D

May 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 19
Yeah I called them back but they didn't answer. lol :facepalm:

It's about 75-80 on amazon for the dj100's. also are the superlux 668B any good for my kind of music? They're extremely cheap, going for about 40 bucks on greenflymusicsupply. Still open to more options.

May 26, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 19
id say ultrasone's or shure 440.
you don't get the big deep bass response on the 440 as you will with the ultrasone, but you get a bit more clarity and good mid bass(which is pretty quick and punchy)
or the sony v6 or 7506 - fairyl flat with decent bass(a bit more than the shures but less than the ultrasones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back