Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500
Sep 2, 2012 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have an HD650 and want to try out the HE-500. I've never ever used a DAC(I use an iPhone)/Amp in my life.

Can someone please suggest one for an HD650 and an HE-500? I don't want to really break my wallet though. I was thinking the E7 + E9 combo but I have no idea... 

Please help! Thanks! :)

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 31
HD650 and Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 are made in heaven for each other but be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairing and I heard them with many others but they were lacking deep sub-bass

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 31
I currently have an HD650 and want to try out the HE-500. I've never ever used a DAC(I use an iPhone)/Amp in my life.

Can someone please suggest one for an HD650 and an HE-500? I don't want to really break my wallet though. I was thinking the E7 + E9 combo but I have no idea... 

Please help! Thanks! :)

Do you want to use your iPhone or your PC/Mac as your source?

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:
HD650 and Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 are made in heaven for each other but be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairing and I heard them with many others but they were lacking deep sub-bass

I have heard good things about that one but I forgot the name of it. I will definitely consider it, thank you!
Quote:
Do you want to use your iPhone or your PC/Mac as your source?

Would like both, but I think it would be a good idea to get one with a DAC built in as my laptop is a Thinkpad (sounds is ehh).

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:
I have heard good things about that one but I forgot the name of it. I will definitely consider it, thank you!
Would like both, but I think it would be a good idea to get one with a DAC built in as my laptop is a Thinkpad (sounds is ehh).

Yes you definitely need DAC and AMP and TubeMagic D1 is DAC/AMP in one

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 31
If you want to be able to use the iPhone, you need a digital dock. I would recommend a Pure i20 - this will extract an SPDIF signal from your iPhone, and also includes a rudimentary DAC (which is still much better than the one in the iPhone).

Regarding the amp, you can (and should) do much better than an E9 for these cans! It seems that Audio-Gd are releasing another batch of NFB 11.32 with the Sabre 9018 DAC. This has the power to do all of your cans justice, an asynchronous USB input, and one of the best DAC chips on the market (ES9018). If you like the Audio-Gd sound, get it while you can!

Alternatively, something like a Little Dot 1+ hybrid should drive the HE-500s whilst giving a taste of tube sound. Go for the WE 408A tubes, though! You will need to add a DAC to this: something like an Audio-Gd NFB 3.2 should be suitable. An alternative amplifier (if you prefer a solid-state approach) could be an O2. I have one of these on order, and will report on the results!

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
If you want to be able to use the iPhone, you need a digital dock. I would recommend a Pure i20 - this will extract an SPDIF signal from your iPhone, and also includes a rudimentary DAC (which is still much better than the one in the iPhone).
Regarding the amp, you can (and should) do much better than an E9 for these cans! It seems that Audio-Gd are releasing another batch of NFB 11.32 with the Sabre 9018 DAC. This has the power to do all of your cans justice, an asynchronous USB input, and one of the best DAC chips on the market (ES9018). If you like the Audio-Gd sound, get it while you can!
Alternatively, something like a Little Dot 1+ hybrid should drive the HE-500s whilst giving a taste of tube sound. Go for the WE 408A tubes, though! You will need to add a DAC to this: something like an Audio-Gd NFB 3.2 should be suitable. An alternative amplifier (if you prefer a solid-state approach) could be an O2. I have one of these on order, and will report on the results!

I guess I will not go with the iPhone route :frowning2: And the NFB 11.32 seems too expensive. I'm hoping to keep it under $200. Also, I think it might be a good idea to have the DAC/Amp in one unit.

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 31
Epiphany Acoustics in the UK will sell you an O2 with built-in ODAC for GBP 187. This way, you get the O2 and the Sabre DAC (ES9023, this time).

You will not be able to run the DAC off the iPhone, though, as it is USB-only.

I have ordered an O2 myself (without the DAC, though, as I need an SPDIF input) for use with my HE-500, HD 600 and FA-003 (soon to be converted to FA-002w spec).

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 31
Sorry, didn't realize the JDS was an all-in-one too. I assumed it was a package deal to buy both components as separates.....

However - I believe that only the DAC-less O2 offers the opportunity for portable use with a built-in battery.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:
Sorry, didn't realize the JDS was an all-in-one too. I assumed it was a package deal to buy both components as separates.....
However - I believe that only the DAC-less O2 offers the opportunity for portable use with a built-in battery.

Does it have enough power to drive the HE-500? Thanks!

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 31
I certainly hope so, as that is why I bought it......
biggrin.gif

AFAIK, a number of other HE-500 owners are using this combination.

I will only be able to say how well it drives the HE-500s once I get the O2 to Shanghai, though, which will be on 17th September.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Are you sure that ODAC has Sabre 9023 chip?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 31
The O2+ODAC Combo has a 15% restocking fee if I don't like it though... Audioengine D1 doesn't. Should I just go with the D1 for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back