My WA6SE arrived home battered and broken (bought from another Head-fi'er)...
Jun 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #46 of 120
From what you're saying, as a seller it is his/her responsibility to make the proper precautions for an item to reach it's destination. The seller should take the majority of the costs. It's a standard to use new boxes, and regardless whether it is fragile or not its good to request the fragile sticker since it is at your disposal at no cost. There's many ways he could have prevented this. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #48 of 120
Quote:
No offense, especially since everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't like this idea.  I think it's a dangerous precedent to have for one, but more importantly, it isn't fair.  Why should the buyer have to pay for the mistakes of the seller?  It's no different than you parking your car in the driveway at night, going to bed, and then having someone hop the curb with their car and crash into yours while you're sleeping.  Sure, it would be nice (to the crashing driver) to share the cost of repairs 50/50, but it's the driver's fault who crashed the car and he must have to pay for the damages.  Not only is this fair, but it's also what the law says.  There are similar laws when it comes to sales of goods.  The purchaser is fully entitled to what money was tendered for.  Contracts have a binding aspect that is often referred to as the "meeting of the minds" (you can look this up, it's real).  Minds were met to sell a fully functional unit.  Money was tendered for a fully functional WA6SE.  What was received is not a fully functional WA6SE.  How it went from fully functional to not functional will always be a mystery. Normally, if this item was packed perfectly, if any damage did occur, it would be up to the post office to pay for damages.  However, since this item was not properly packed, the seller bears all financial responsibility.  The seller did not live up to his end of the contract, which came at the expense of the buyer.  Since the buyer did not get what was paid for, the buyer has rights to recuperating money or getting a different, or repaired, functional unit.  Contracts must be fulfilled.  Going 50/50 does not fulfill the contract.

Hi K_19

I don't know why any of this is your fault? 

The way I've always seen it work around here is that the seller gets the money up front and if the amp doesn't arrive in the condition that was represented in the sale,  you get your money back.

That said, if the amp was opened for inspection and everything was smashed and broken, wouldn’t customs have put a sticker on the package to indicate that it was like this when they opened it, in order to limit their own liability?

My feeling is that it got trashed after customs failed to repack it properly.

IMHO, you should take your paypal refund and buy a different amp.  I certainly wouldn't want that one any more.

USG

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #49 of 120

Quote:
Edited: Second try's the charm:
link

If that's who's amp it was, this guy will be lucky to ever see anything.  This person walked off from an L.A. meet with a pair of Ultrasone ED8 headphones and someone else's cable adapter and ruined 1/3 of the meet because we were all searching for them.  Only after threatening people with legal action did I get a response saying it was accidentally taken, and it was returned by mail several days later.  How do you walk out of a meet with a pair of headphones not belonging to you when you only come in with one pair of headphones and one amp?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #50 of 120
The seller needs to refund all the money he received from the buyer; the buyer is still out the $140 duty tax. Sucks for both parties.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #51 of 120
In my personal experience, CanPost/USPS refunds the duties/customs costs aswell as the insured amount.  So we can hope that both parties come out of this fully even.

This whole thing sucks, and I feel for yah aswell.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #52 of 120
Well until you get this resolved, maybe we can help getting your WA6SE to work.

From the pictures it looks like the PSU got the worst of it, but it seems you are getting power to your amp.

If you haven't already tried this then you may want and try both high and low phone jacks on your amp and also both sets of input RCA jacks (toggle switch also) and see if with any of these combos you get both channels working.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #53 of 120

Quote:

From the pictures it looks like the PSU got the worst of it, but it seems you are getting power to your amp.

If you haven't already tried this then you may want and try both high and low phone jacks on your amp and also both sets of input RCA jacks (toggle switch also) and see if with any of these combos you get both channels working.

kudos to you and I hope more people chime in on this. I'd help but I know nuts about the technicalities of all this. I'm just happy to see people trying to help out.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #54 of 120
I'm so sorry mate. This is a Head-fi'ers worstest's nightmare.

x

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #55 of 120

Quote:

I've taken pictures of the internals in this album I uploaded yesterday: http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/9854/user_id/90337

I apologize in advance for poor shots... I don't have the best of cameras and really do not have the skills or know anything about photography in general. 
redface.gif

I've tried both high-z and lo-z inputs jacks on the amp and have tried both sets of line inputs, and it gives the same problem - no volume in the right channel.  I can also notice some hum with sensitive headphones like Grado RS1, but not sure if that is related to this event.  It honestly looks like nothing is loose in there, although you can see that the R jack on the input #1 is bent upwards presumably from impact of some sort.

Another weird thing; there seems to be NO serial number on the outside anywhere. 
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #56 of 120
In a roundabout way, this could actually help you get your money back.  If you file a claim with Paypal, you could claim that have the suspicion you were sold stolen goods, as indicated from no serial number.  If you combine that will the severe damage, Paypal would almost have no choice but to give you your money back.

I'd save this last trump card if the original seller isn't going to be cooperative. 

Quote:

Another weird thing; there seems to be NO serial number on the outside anywhere. 
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #58 of 120
True.  I don't believe the seller sold stolen goods.  But if the seller refuses to repay the money, I was suggesting that there is one last ditch effort for the seller to get his money back.  The fact the item doesn't have a serial number is very suspicious.  And according to the law, you are required to report any suspicious activity, including the suspicion of theft and selling stolen goods.  It doesn't have to be fact...just suspicion.  That's all I'm saying.  The buyer would just be following the intent of the law, and hopefully everything else then shakes out naturally........

Quote:
Did we go from wanting K_19 to regain his money to wanting the seller to pay for everything to wanting the seller to be arrested on suspicion of theft?
ph34r.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #59 of 120
How the hell can someone package a 2 piece amp in a single box with only some bubble wrap and newspaper? Always expect the worst when shipping items and pack accordingly. This is 100% on the seller. Hope this all gets resolved K_19.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #60 of 120
The seller's description: "This particular WA6SE is in absolutely great condition, coming with the Sophia Princess Rectifier and also about 8 tubes (6DE7s Sylvania, etc). Has been well taken care of and sounds excellent, especially with my hd800s." It arrived in absolutely poor condition. I'm sure paypal will side with the OP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back