My WA6SE arrived home battered and broken (bought from another Head-fi'er)...
Jun 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #31 of 120

Quote:
UPDATE:

Just wanted to mention that I have finally managed to get in touch with the seller.  He is definitely willing to help me out as much as he can on this, was very sincere, and I would really like to thank him for that.  I knew he would come through.  It's going to really hurt us both here, but we will do the best we can to rectify the situation and hopefully will decide upon a fair resolution. 

I'll update this as the situation plays itself out.  I'd like to thank everyone for their support thus far.

I don't understand why it should hurt you at all. The seller is probably a very nice guy, but that doesn't excuse the poor packaging. All I can say is the seller should take full responsibility and should refund all your money. Enough said....

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #32 of 120
This is a guy who did something stupid, but he probably didn't mean to. To be truthful, even if it was bubble wrap, if it is handled with care and right side up, it should survive the trip. The only mistake I say he made was not mark it as delicate and not buying the full value insurance. He could be asked to pay everything, he could be spared some of the burden. There's no dishonor in showing a bit of mercy. It's their business now people.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 120
Yes, I've explained the inadequate packaging to him and hopefully he understands that he needs to bear the responsibility for that.  The hurt part on my end mainly comes from the fact that I'm still without a working WA6SE and that I'm going to have to wait a while to get it. 
frown.gif
   But for the time being I'm just really glad that he managed to get back to me.  I'm willing to help him out a bit financially, as I feel bad for him also.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #35 of 120

Quote:
Hate to see the damaged gear, I am now sending stuff double sometimes triple boxed just to make sure. Hope it gets resolved quickly.

Ditto, that's why I always double box fragile items. I sold about 90 items on ebay, and never once had a problem with damage.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #36 of 120
The solution should only hurt him.  You should get all your money back --or-- the exact cost of having Woo Audio doing a full refurbishment back up to specs.  I'm sure the seller is a good guy, but don't fall for the old "he's a nice guy" trick.  I'm sure you're a nice guy, too, but if your paypal money bounced I'm sure he wouldn't be willing to let you by with partial or no payment.  He'd want more money or the amp back.  Transactions work both ways.  You are entitled to the full equivalent of your money, as he is entitled to the full equivalent of his item for sale.

This will cost the guy because he is going to be out of a lot of money.  As I stated earlier, based on the packaging itself, and all the loopholes in packaging insurance rules, there's about 0% chance the seller will get any claim money.  Essentially, after he refunds your money or pays to have it fixed, in the end he effectively donated his amp.  He is without an amp or the money to show for it.

Sucks.  Really does.  For everyone.

Quote:
Yes, I've explained the inadequate packaging to him and hopefully he understands that he needs to bear the responsibility for that.  The hurt part on my end mainly comes from the fact that I'm still without a working WA6SE and that I'm going to have to wait a while to get it. 
frown.gif
   But for the time being I'm just really glad that he managed to get back to me.  I'm willing to help him out a bit financially, as I feel bad for him also.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 120
Hope it works out.  I had a MPX3 Slam SE that I bought arrive damaged.  Fortunately, the seller had insurance and USPS paid the insured amount.  It is great that you were able to get a hold of the person.  I would be careful about taking any responsibility....  It doesn't appear to have been packed properly.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #38 of 120
I think a fair solution would be to split it 50/50. Maybe he was an inexperienced shipper or something. I know he should of packaged it with more care, but you honestly can't predict USPS mishaps since they deliver quite a bit of packages in traffic heavy areas. I remember i had some bad experience with them once and had the box of the printer slightly torn, but nothing drastic as in your case. Just do 50/50 split and be done with it imo.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #39 of 120
I wouldn't split anything. It's the seller's responsibility 100%. It's not like the seller's a friend of the OP. The seller screwed up, he should pay. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #40 of 120
No offense, especially since everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't like this idea.  I think it's a dangerous precedent to have for one, but more importantly, it isn't fair.  Why should the buyer have to pay for the mistakes of the seller?  It's no different than you parking your car in the driveway at night, going to bed, and then having someone hop the curb with their car and crash into yours while you're sleeping.  Sure, it would be nice (to the crashing driver) to share the cost of repairs 50/50, but it's the driver's fault who crashed the car and he must have to pay for the damages.  Not only is this fair, but it's also what the law says.  There are similar laws when it comes to sales of goods.  The purchaser is fully entitled to what money was tendered for.  Contracts have a binding aspect that is often referred to as the "meeting of the minds" (you can look this up, it's real).  Minds were met to sell a fully functional unit.  Money was tendered for a fully functional WA6SE.  What was received is not a fully functional WA6SE.  How it went from fully functional to not functional will always be a mystery. Normally, if this item was packed perfectly, if any damage did occur, it would be up to the post office to pay for damages.  However, since this item was not properly packed, the seller bears all financial responsibility.  The seller did not live up to his end of the contract, which came at the expense of the buyer.  Since the buyer did not get what was paid for, the buyer has rights to recuperating money or getting a different, or repaired, functional unit.  Contracts must be fulfilled.  Going 50/50 does not fulfill the contract.

Quote:
I think a fair solution would be to split it 50/50. Maybe he was an inexperienced shipper or something. I know he should of packaged it with more care, but you honestly can't predict USPS mishaps since they deliver quite a bit of packages in traffic heavy areas. I remember i had some bad experience with them once and had the box of the printer slightly torn, but nothing drastic as in your case. Just do 50/50 split and be done with it imo.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #41 of 120

Quote:
No offense, especially since everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't like this idea.  I think it's a dangerous precedent to have for one, but more importantly, it isn't fair.  Why should the buyer have to pay for the mistakes of the seller?  It's no different than you parking your car in the driveway at night, going to bed, and then having someone hop the curb with their car and crash into yours while you're sleeping.  Sure, it would be nice (to the crashing driver) to share the cost of repairs 50/50, but it's the driver's fault who crashed the car and he must have to pay for the damages.  Not only is this fair, but it's also what the law says.  There are similar laws when it comes to sales of goods.  The purchaser is fully entitled to what money was tendered for.  Contracts have a binding aspect that is often referred to as the "meeting of the minds" (you can look this up, it's real).  Minds were met to sell a fully functional unit.  Money was tendered for a fully functional WA6SE.  What was received is not a fully functional WA6SE.  How it went from fully functional to not functional will always be a mystery. Normally, if this item was packed perfectly, if any damage did occur, it would be up to the post office to pay for damages.  However, since this item was not properly packed, the seller bears all financial responsibility.  The seller did not live up to his end of the contract, which came at the expense of the buyer.  Since the buyer did not get what was paid for, the buyer has rights to recuperating money or getting a different, or repaired, functional unit.  Contracts must be fulfilled.  Going 50/50 does not fulfill the contract.

I tend to agree with this point, especially considering the half-assed job the seller obviously did on packing the thing. And the damage looks like it was in a car wreck.

I bought a big Denon turntable from eBay a while back, and the seller neglected to pack the heavy platter separately so it bounced around scratching up the cover and tonearm. Lucky the Denons are built like tanks and I got plastic polish to buff out the worst scratches, so it worked fine otherwise. I did not ask for money back but I did leave him poor feedback as a warning and maybe a lesson for him. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #42 of 120
While i agree that it's the seller's responsibility to issue the full refund, I guess i just felt kinda bad in his case. I doubt he'll be reimbursed since U.S.P.S is picky with their policies and what not. And he would have needed the proper insurance paperwork to actually get somewhere- which i doubt he did when shipping the package.

Everything is against the seller. It's basically like destroying your own amp or having a friend do it for you. The poor fella prob paid quite more from the original seller, and now has to start from scratch cause he got no amp or no money. Don't you guys feel an ounce of sympothy for this guy? Hell... if not the 50/50, at least  give him1/4 for the trial and effort?   I wish Paypal or USPS does something, cause I would really not want to be in the shoes of the seller :frowning2: 

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 120
This is a perfect example of why I don't shop on eBay anymore.  Sure, you can find good deals, but many times it's buyer beware.  Poor packaging has soured too many of my transactions and have also opened my eyes to the loopholes in shipping insurance (which is essentially a scam, as noted earlier).  I've been stuck in what I call eBay purgatory.  Seller says it's the shipping company because he bought insurance.  Shipping company says it's the seller, despite seller paying insurance because packing was poor.  No one wants to take responsibility.  The only way to fix the transaction was to get seller to voluntarily refund whole purchase (at the threat of bad feedback or even small claims court), pay some agreed-upon amount to compensate damages if item is still functional, or let paypal sort it out.

Quote:

I bought a big Denon turntable from eBay a while back, and the seller neglected to pack the heavy platter separately so it bounced around scratching up the cover and tonearm. Lucky the Denons are built like tanks and I got plastic polish to buff out the worst scratches, so it worked fine otherwise. I did not ask for money back but I did leave him poor feedback as a warning and maybe a lesson for him. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #44 of 120
Of course I feel sympathy for the seller.  No one likes seeing people make mistakes, and if you do, there is something wrong with you.  However, sometimes the smallest of mistakes have huge costs.  

Quote:
While i agree that it's the seller's responsibility to issue the full refund, I guess i just felt kinda bad in his case. I doubt he'll be reimbursed since U.S.P.S is picky with their policies and what not. And he would have needed the proper insurance paperwork to actually get somewhere- which i doubt he did when shipping the package.

Everything is against the seller. It's basically like destroying your own amp or having a friend do it for you. The poor fella prob paid quite more from the original seller, and now has to start from scratch cause he got no amp or no money. Don't you guys feel an ounce of sympothy for this guy? Hell... if not the 50/50, at least  give him1/4 for the trial and effort?   I wish Paypal or USPS does something, cause I would really not want to be in the shoes of the seller :frowning2: 

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #45 of 120
Sorry, the buyer should not be bearing any cost for this - the damage was a result of poor packaging, poor shipping, or some combination of both.  None of which had anything to do with the buyer.  It's too bad for the seller but if he was an experienced seller, he should have known better. 

To K19, you seem like a reasonable fellow, I hope people here can help you out with their support/pressure on seller to do the right thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back