My WA6SE arrived home battered and broken (bought from another Head-fi'er)...
Jun 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 120
X2

Quote:
After thinking a bit about your photos, it seems to me that not all of the damage occurred in shipping. 

From my perspective, it looks like the amp was abused before shipping.  If you look at some of the wear patterns on the edges, there is no way they could have occurred in a box with limited movement.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #17 of 120
just a quick point.

as much as there is so much pain and grief, I think the appropriate action is to take it up with PayPal and let them know there is an issue before there is a legal limitation on you being able to retrieve your money. secondly, I'm not entirely sure of immediately posting this on the forums, though it would be wise when the whole event goes to moot and you have to warn others of who the culprit is and to be aware of the situation.

on that note, I think that as much as the comments are made pertaining to your unfortunate circumstance and I am in entire agreement, I think some comments should be mindful for the fear of speculation. we do not know the exact circumstances, nor do we know exactly what is going on so I do not think it is fair for any of us to jump to too far a conclusion just yet.

It's been less than 24 hours or thereabouts and this is no reason just yet to jump to conclusions. again, I sympathise with the OP immensely and I hope that the situation gets sorted for you soon and I hope the seller is able to explain himself.

But I will not speculate as to how the damages is made. All this is only going to make it hard for the seller to appear and even cause the person to disappear or feel extremely apprehensive about the situation and lead to bad blood when there may be a logical explanation though it may seem hard for some of us to believe. But a lot of the things that have happened are not within the control of the seller and buyer and also, we may just be causing more concern to the buyer as well whom I'm sure is extremely worried.

I hope that the right thing will be done here; and OP, I feel for your situation and may I re-iterate that I hope that everything works out for you asap.

Cheers.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #18 of 120
File the Paypal claim,  its not your fault the seller seems to be missing in action when you received the busted amp he should have been monitoring the shipping until you received it in satisfactory condition.  The seller can then file for an insurance claim to attempt to get his money back, it shouldn't be your problem if he has difficulty doing so.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #19 of 120
someone commented on the "scrape pattern" on the chassis. Thats totally possible if the box broke apart during shipping.

Quote:
Nope, that's not the poster.  I bought a WA6SE and not a standard WA6 (which I already have and was looking to upgrade on).

Sorry about that. I was confused by the size of the box. There is no way (I can think of) to get both halves of a Woo6se in a box that size.

How does the audio section look if you have shown us the power supply?

Edited:
Second try's the charm:
link

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #20 of 120

Quote:

Sorry about that. I was confused by the size of the box. There is no way (I can think of) to get both halves of a Woo6se in a box that size.

How does the audio section look if you have shown us the power supply?

I am planning to take better pics with the entire amp along with the box side by side later on after I get back from work, and also planning on taking pictures of the internals of the amp unit to see if anyone see where the damage is that results in only left channel working... and determine what the extent of the damage is  (hoping that you can, nikongod, since you seem to be very knowledgeable with amps). the external damage on the amp component are similar scratches and dents, volume knob/pot which seems slightly warped out of place, and the R jack in one of the inputs being bent downwards. I'm assuming that the rectifier/power unit component of it is fine since it powers on the tubes alright (besides the spark with the Sophia, which may be because it was an older unit not compatible with it... if this is the case though I do find it misleading that the poster was originally selling Sophia with it as a package).  Quite honestly, I'm more disappointed that I'm without a working amp than being out $1000... wouldn't have been this disappointed if the damage was just broken tubes and cosmetic on the outside instead of amp being non-functional... I was really looking forward to using it.
frown.gif

EDIT: I contacted the original owner of the unit (who sold it to seller in question earlier in the year), and apparently it is supposed to be fully compatible with the Sophia... so this can only mean that there was also some damages to the internals of the power unit/rectifier component, or the tube sockets).

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #21 of 120
Completely inadequate packaging judging from those pictures. The amp would not be properly protected against bumps, and if the tubes were shipped in the same box in just paper boxes, it's only natural that they would be crushed by the weight of the amp during handling and transit. IMO the seller is completely at fault here and should have taken more care in providing proper protection, especially considering how expensive the item in question is.

It will probably be hard to get to get anything from the shipping company because it was not adequately packaged (and not even counting the issues the other poster pointed out above).
The seller should issue you a full refund for this mess, you should not be the one to have to deal with the shipping company for an insurance payout.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #22 of 120
I think you have a excellent chance Paypal will side with you. The seller was obviously clueless on proper boxing of heavy, fragile items. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #24 of 120
One other thing, you say that there's no silk screening on the back panel. Maybe you got a prototype? The seller didn't disclose that, did he? Man, this is why I never buy anything used.. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #25 of 120

Quote:
After thinking a bit about your photos, it seems to me that not all of the damage occurred in shipping. 

From my perspective, it looks like the amp was abused before shipping.  If you look at some of the wear patterns on the edges, there is no way they could have occurred in a box with limited movement.

How well do you know the person who sold the amp to you?  What is his reputation?  Do you know of anyone he has sold equipment to before?

This is really too bad, I'm very sorry for you.  I hope it works out well for you.

I agree. Looks like it was damaged previously.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #26 of 120
I feel that it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the condition described.  If the item gets demolished in transit, as it appears yours has, then I, as the seller, would accept the returned item, refund your money, and file a claim with the insurance purchased.

This pretty much sucks all-around.  You'll probably be able to get a refund through Paypal eventually.  It shouldn't have to be that way, though.  The seller should man up and refund your money, then deal with filing an insurance claim. 

The amp definitely should have been packed better.  Anyone selling anything should automatically assume the box is going to get dropped, kicked, and thrown around by any carrier and pack accordingly.  It's far less expensive to purcahse the proper packaging material in the first place than fighting an insurance claim because one was a "Cheap Charlie" initially.

Whatever happens, I certainly hope you get your money back...all of it.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #27 of 120
I don't buy too much into conspiracy theories.  I'm sensing in this thread that some people have the idea that the seller tried to pass off a damaged amp by staging it that the shipping company had done the damage.

To pull this off requires too much, including fooling the shipping company in shipping something that looks so badly damaged  already (the box, for example).  Is it possible?  Sure.  But it's also possible that I will win the lottery tonight.

I think it was just a nexus of bad circumstances.  Bad packaging.  Naive seller.  Bad shipping company.  Negligent customs.  All in all, bad.  But my heart tells me it was not a conspiracy or an attempt at fraud.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #28 of 120
Yes, I don't think by any means this was all intentional and pre-planned (inadequate packaging aside).  At least for now.  The seller was pleasant to deal with and recorded a good amount of good feedback here, so I'm really trying to be patient here and wait for his response first.  I'm going to wait another 2 days or so for some sort of contact before I make an official claim, but that's gonna be one hell of a tourture wait on my end...

BTW, I found out that the paypal email address isn't actually registered under his own name, but under his mom, wife, sister, or some female next of kin.  I'm trying every way possible to get in contact with him but I don't have his actual email address... and I'm not sure if his email notification is on under his PM settings.  Would it be possible for a mod to let me know the email address of the seller so I can try to contact him directly? 

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #29 of 120
try to see if anyone who had recent transactions with him, perhaps had actual contact with him?

sincerely hope everything works out for you mate.

Quote:
Yes, I don't think by any means this was all intentional and pre-planned.  At least for now.  The seller was pleasant to deal with and recorded a good amount of good feedback here, so I'm really trying to be patient here and wait for his response first.  I'm going to wait another 2 days or so for some sort of contact before I make an official claim, but that's gonna be one hell of a tourture wait on my end...

BTW, I found out that the paypal email address isn't actually registered under his own name, but under his mom, wife, sister, or some female next of kin.  I'm trying every way possible to get in contact with him but I don't have his actual email address... and I'm not sure if his email notification is on under his PM settings.  Would it be possible for a mod to let me know the email address of the seller so I can try to contact him directly? 

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #30 of 120
UPDATE:

Just wanted to mention that I have finally managed to get in touch with the seller.  He is definitely willing to help me out as much as he can on this, was very sincere, and I would really like to thank him for that.  I knew he would come through.  It's going to really hurt us both here, but we will do the best we can to rectify the situation and hopefully will decide upon a fair resolution. 

I'll update this as the situation plays itself out.  I'd like to thank everyone for their support thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back