My local Best Buy sells really good headphones - who knew?
Aug 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

reginalb

1000+ Head-Fier
So, my BB has all the usual suspects, they have a few decent pairs of Sonys, the bottom end Sennheisers, and the headphones available to sample are Beats (all of them), and a pair of skullcandys. However, the back of the local Best Buy also has an "Instrument Center," or something like that. They sell guitars, drums, DJ equipment, etc. And looking around there for something I needed yesterday, I noticed a display in the back corner with AKG 701s, a pair of Shure DJ headphones, SRH 940s, and something else that slips my mind. No source hooked up, but I think you had the option to hook up your own, then behind me I noticed, just in their boxes, some Pioneer HDJ-2000s (and the more pedestrian 1000s), and IEMs running all the way up to $350 from Shure, and a couple of other brands. 

I did a quick search and didn't find anything here on the BB instrument center, although I might have the name wrong, but I thought it was interesting to see all of those cans in a BB. And really wish they would move them up front so that people could compare the Beats to some other cans. I know I like to hear headphones before I buy them (my Q701s being the exception to that rule), but sometimes I have a hard time finding good headphones to try. To try Grados I had to hunt down a little mom and pop outfit in the area that sells them, and even he had to open a box for me. I don't feel bad, I sent my step-dad's business to him, which will be worth more than what he might have lost by opening a Grado 225 box. To try HDJ-2000s, I had to find a DJ willing to let me try them out. My point is that it's good to actually listen to cans before buying them, some of us don't have unlimited resources to work with. And I think a lot of people that buy Beats just don't realize that there are other options, and have never heard another headphone, same with Bose headphones. Some people probably genuinely like them, but some people wouldn't buy them in the first place if they knew the world outside of Monster and Bose.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 8
my BB isntrument section only has the Koss DJ cans and some mixer boards.  I am jealous. I will try a few more out in the area though.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 8
My WB carries the Monster Turbine lineup plus the Miles Davis Tribute and Trumpet, B&W P5/C5 and that's it.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I tried this over the weekend where my in-laws live, and got very frustrated.  No Pro DJ 100, no Monster IEMs, no B&W.   The pro audio section as a whole was pretty sad.

But I used the Best Buy iOS app once I got back and it looks like the Koss, at least, is in a few locations here in SF.    I shouldn't go if I'm trying not to buy.  I really want those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back