My DIY electrostatic headphones
Apr 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #286 of 4,059
Apr 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #287 of 4,059
Hi Khbaur330162

Thanks for your info.

One of these days when I have the time and mood, I'm going to make another pair of headphones with all the dimensions similar to HE90. 
beyersmile.png

Wachara C.

May 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #292 of 4,059
I just want to post this information here so that some of you that have a similar problem as mine can solve it.

My DIY headphones start to develop the weird squeal.  It only happens after I've been listening to them about half an hour or more.  The longer I listen, the more obvious the squeal is.  It's very annoying.  At first I thought that there could be some loose connections or some dust in the drivers.  But on close inspection, I find that it's actually the moisture (humidity) that is the real cause.  

My left driver's dust protection diaphragm was accidentally damaged and had a small hole on it.  When wearing the headphones after a period of time, the humidity inside the cup starts to accumulate.  The moisture finds its way into the inside of the driver and eventually condenses into tiny drops of water on the diaphragm causing the electrical leakage from diaphragm to stators.   

My solution is to replace the dust protection diaphragm.  On Stax, there are normally two pieces of dust protection diaphragm.  One is in the front and the other one is in the back side.  If the front one has a hole and the back one is still in good shape, you might want to try to swap them.  The dust protection diaphragm isn't that critical on the back.  

Wachara C.

May 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #295 of 4,059
Quote:
I'm sure that it's a common problem for all the electrostatic headphones.  Just a small, tiny hole is enough to cause this problem.

Wachara C.

What Phos is trying to say is that the Koss ESP-950 tend to do that more often than other stats, and may not have a hole in the dust cover to cause the problem.  I think my previous pair of HE Audio Jade also developed an issue with noise from high humidity after I sold them to someone in Houston, while they sounded fine in dry Colorado weather.

May 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #296 of 4,059
If you are sure that the dust covers on both front and back side are good, then the case of humidity affecting the drivers is extremely small since the covers block out the moisture and dust. So the noise problem should come from either the cable or connections.

Wachara C.

May 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #299 of 4,059
Quote:
hey im sorry but where is the dust protector? im trying to find it....

Which headphones do you have?  Have you tried taking them apart to look inside?  The dust covers are situated on the very front and very back of the driver.  In Stax SR007 and SR507, the dust covers are exactly the same for both front and back side (I guess they all are the same for other series as well, but I'm not sure).  However, for HE60, they are different, and you can't simply swap the two.  I have no idea what it is like inside Koss 950 though.

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back