My DIY electrostatic headphones
May 7, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #301 of 4,058
I make my own.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #303 of 4,058
What are some alternatives to the traditional Stax plug for these? I was curious how something simple like a 5 or 6 pin XLR would do here. I'm trying to avoid frying something (potentially myself) and those of you with more experience surely have more of an idea of what works and what doesn't.

May 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #304 of 4,058
Quote:
out of what? could i see pics if that's alright?

Obviously you haven't read my older posts.  :frowning2:

The dust cover is nothing special.  I use the same material as my diaphragm to make it.  It's 1 micron Mylar.

You can look at some of the pictures from my older post here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/498292/my-diy-electrostatic-headphones/120#post_7330732

Wachara C.

May 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #305 of 4,058
thank you i skimmed through the whole thread yesterday but i must have missed those pics!

edit: have you considered using thicker mylar so it wont rip or is that a stupid question?
Also some designs don't seem to include the dust cover. doesn't this color the sound? Is it only required in moist environments?

May 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #306 of 4,058
Quote:
What are some alternatives to the traditional Stax plug for these? I was curious how something simple like a 5 or 6 pin XLR would do here. I'm trying to avoid frying something (potentially myself) and those of you with more experience surely have more of an idea of what works and what doesn't.

For my own DIY headphones I simply use an easy to find 6 pin din plug.  Something like this:

It works great for me.

Wachara C.

May 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #307 of 4,058
Quote:
edit: have you considered using thicker mylar so it wont rip or is that a stupid question?
Also some designs don't seem to include the dust cover. doesn't this color the sound? Is it only required in moist environments?

I do put dust covers on all my headphones.  It's a must do.  You need to put it at least on the side facing your head.  It is very critical to protect your sweat from going into the driver.  I'm now using 2 micron Mylar as the dust cover and it's pretty strong already. 

Wachara C.

May 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #308 of 4,058
thank you very much! I did a lot of research on Stax and saw that they also use thin diaphragms on either side of the stators? for dust covers.  Do you notice it coloring the sound at all though i wonder?

May 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #309 of 4,058
I do not know what kind of material Stax is using for their dust cover.  It's not the same as their diaphragm.

I've tried putting dust covers on both front and back side of my DIY headphones.  I noticed that by doing so I lack quite a bit of bass.  Then later on in all my DIY headphones, I put a dust cover just on the front side.  It doesn't seem to give coloration to the sound though.

Wachara C.

May 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #310 of 4,058
Hi Spritzer,

I really enjoy being on this forum.  It's my first time to see so many people using electrostatic headphones.  I'm really excited and looking forward to building more amps for my headphones.

I am not familiar with 6S4A.  I'll study about the tube and hopefully try what you suggested.

Here is another amp of mine - same schematic but in different housing.

Wachara C.

WOW!!!! I love this amp. Good work!!

May 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #313 of 4,058
Thanks guys for your compliments.  Frankly speaking, the amp case was a collaboration of a few of Thai DIYers  here in Thailand.  I made the amp, the other guys made the design and assembling.  By doing this, we brought out the best of everybody.  The case was inspired by Transformer the movie. 
dt880smile.png

About a DIY headphone kits, I've been thinking a lot about it.  But I have to say that I just can't do it.  I have a full time job, and I'm only make the headphones for fun.  My CNC machine is a homemade one and isn't really robust.  Thank you so much for your interest. 

Wachara C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back