My DIY electrostatic headphones
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #271 of 4,059
Hi Headdie,

I don't have any technical data to back be up. However, from my experience, you get a deeper bass if you move the drivers further away from your ears. That is if you use thicker ear pads VS thinner ones.  Bigger or smaller ear pads affect more on comfort.

Wachara C.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #272 of 4,059

Quote:
Well, I end up using my old headband for the time being.  I really hate to hold them against my ears when listening.  

You have made a lot of progress on these since last I checked in Wachara
smile.gif

This is making me want to build another pair!

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #274 of 4,059
I've tried it and didn't get good result.

Regarding the coating, I didn't find Staticide 6300, but this thing,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320548856268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Do you think it's the same ?

I've made up my mind. I'll open the the cell and re coat the diaphragm.

Quote:
I know it's not DIY, but to begin wth...

I wonder if I could take the electrostatic cell out of an SR-X/Mk3 and fit it into larger circumaural headphones ?

The diameter of the cell is probably 70-80 mm. Would it be a problem to fit it into a larger cup ?

Thanks,

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #275 of 4,059
Hi Headdie,

No, they are not the same.  But, I think it will work too.  But probably the life time after coating won't be as long.

If you don't mind coating the diaphragms once after a while, you can go for it.

Best regards,

Wachara C.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #276 of 4,059

Quote:
Hi Matt!  It's been a long time!  If you should decide to make another pair, I can really give you some really good advices.  :wink:

Wachara C.

Hi Wachara
smile.gif

I have been playing around with orthodynamics and love their sound, I just wish they were lighter (HE-500). 

I think I might be able to set up a simple jig on a drill press for replicating the stators. It sounds like  you are using a heavier diaphragm these days?

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #277 of 4,059
Hi Matt,

Yes, I do notice that you have move away from electrostatic to orthodynamic. I also bought a pair of HE-5 to try. However, I find that my electrostatic headphones sound better by quite a big margin.

Until today, I still like my version 1 headphones the most. If I were to do it again, I would etch out all the unneeded copper and use 0.5 mm spacers. As for diaphragms, I think I have been wandering in a wrong direction. The thinnest diaphragm isn't always the best. For the Stax clone, I now use 3 microns and really love it. Because of the high diaphragm width to spacer thickness ratio, I have no choice but to tension the diaphragm very high. With thinner Mylar, the bass is just not as good.

Wachara C.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #279 of 4,059
I haven't tried Elvamide before, but I've heard that it's very humidity sensitive.  

I've tried this and it seems pretty good:

It comes with 2 bottles - gel and spray.  Gel is much better.  However, I don't know how long it can last as I have only used it for just over a month.

Wachara C.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #281 of 4,059
Wachara,

I've opened my two SR-X/Mk3 drivers and I'm ready to replace the diaphragms.

(I discovered that they were damaged when I opened the drivers.)

Do you have some pictures or instructions to help me do that ? First, I'll have to find and buy mylar or the proper material...

I'll look for a website explaining how to do it.

Meanwhile, if you know a good one, don't hesitate to tell me.

Ciao !

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #282 of 4,059
So are DIY electrostatic headphones for sale, say, on eBay, or here at the head-fi forums? I was wondering how cheap they can go for, to avoid the hassle of building one myself. What is the cheapest + required amp setup?

The non-DIY ones are definately out of my budget range.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #284 of 4,059

Quote:
So are DIY electrostatic headphones for sale, say, on eBay, or here at the head-fi forums? I was wondering how cheap they can go for, to avoid the hassle of building one myself. What is the cheapest + required amp setup?

The non-DIY ones are definately out of my budget range.

You should start out with an old pair of Koss ESP 9 or something similar which can give you an idea of the electrostatic sound without spending too much money.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #285 of 4,059
You can also look at AT electrets, or SR-3 clones from Magnavox, K-Mart, or Radio Shack.  I only paid $15 shipped for the Magnavox stat.  I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back