My DIY electrostatic headphones
Mar 28, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #4,051 of 4,058
I was watching a video that shows the Audeze factory, and this caught my attention: the membrane of the CRBN model.

membrane.PNG

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #4,053 of 4,058
I heard that early shipments of CRBNs had a problem with the diaphragm slapping the stators, I think this revision spacer is to prevent the diaphragm with low tension from being sucked onto the stators.

This video should show the spacer of early CRBN.
dsg.jpg

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #4,054 of 4,058
By the way, this seems to be normal on non-STAX commercial estats? The pictures below show the Jade II & SGL SR that I disassembled. Hifiman added plastic discs to their stators to clamp the diaphragm to prevent it from sticking to the stators...
IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #4,055 of 4,058
Hi guys, I'm new to DIY. I would like to say thank you for the valuable posts here, especially HifiXMen, who answered quite a few of my questions. Allow me to share with you my DIY SHANGRI-LA project below. :)

First, I own a pair of Jade II headphones. While I appreciate the Jade II's treble, I have some concerns about its bass performance. So I decided to blue-tac mod it, and after sealing it, it improved the bass response significantly, to my great satisfaction. One day, however, the left channel of my Jade 2 suddenly became almost inaudible. After careful inspection, I found no problems (it was only after the modification was completed that I discovered that the cable was broken). At this time, a bold and interesting idea came up - why not transform it into Shangri-La?

1.jpg

For this modification, I chose to use 325 mesh copper mesh as the stator material and directly pasted it on the Jade II dust cover stator. I kept the original Jade II diaphragm because it offers better stability. Additionally, I cut some 0.3mm PVC sheets to widen the DS gap to 0.8mm since the original DS gap was only 0.5mm.

2.jpg
3.jpg
2801711877637-pic-hd.jpg

Finally, I replaced the original headband and grille with Arya's, making it look and sound strikingly similar to the Shangri-La. (Sonically, it's less aggressive and warmer than the SHANGRI-LA. There's excellent soundstage and detail, and the bass extension is pretty good, but it still lacks punch for me.)

4.jpg
5.jpg

For the dust shield, I used 0.5u mylar, which I rolled out and glued on, but I seem to have screwed it up:triportsad:. But thankfully it produced no unwanted noise.

6.jpg

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #4,056 of 4,058
Hi guys, I'm new to DIY. I would like to say thank you for the valuable posts here, especially HifiXMen, who answered quite a few of my questions. Allow me to share with you my DIY SHANGRI-LA project below. :)

First, I own a pair of Jade II headphones. While I appreciate the Jade II's treble, I have some concerns about its bass performance. So I decided to blue-tac mod it, and after sealing it, it improved the bass response significantly, to my great satisfaction. One day, however, the left channel of my Jade 2 suddenly became almost inaudible. After careful inspection, I found no problems (it was only after the modification was completed that I discovered that the cable was broken). At this time, a bold and interesting idea came up - why not transform it into Shangri-La?

1.jpg

For this modification, I chose to use 325 mesh copper mesh as the stator material and directly pasted it on the Jade II dust cover stator. I kept the original Jade II diaphragm because it offers better stability. Additionally, I cut some 0.3mm PVC sheets to widen the DS gap to 0.8mm since the original DS gap was only 0.5mm.

2.jpg
3.jpg
2801711877637-pic-hd.jpg

Finally, I replaced the original headband and grille with Arya's, making it look and sound strikingly similar to the Shangri-La. (Sonically, it's less aggressive and warmer than the SHANGRI-LA. There's excellent soundstage and detail, and the bass extension is pretty good, but it still lacks punch for me.)

4.jpg
5.jpg

For the dust shield, I used 0.5u mylar, which I rolled out and glued on, but I seem to have screwed it up:triportsad:. But thankfully it produced no unwanted noise.

6.jpg
What wires and connectors did you use? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back