My DIY electrostatic headphones
Mar 20, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #256 of 4,059
Ok, so I unfortunately have not experienced these things, I'm an engineer: P My strength is knowing how to draw cad, are capable of using the composite and to have this available to the processing center. If you were to explain the characteristics that must have the material between the membrane I can advise what should I use and what kind of carryover. mechanics use hundreds of reports that have different characteristics. I look forward to your response and be able to dellecuffie best of Stax ... aesthetically! If you have any IGES drawings you can send them?

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #257 of 4,059
Ok, PM me with your email address, and I will send you the drawings that I have made.  However, I use 2 mm drill bit to drill the holes.  If you have 1 mm drill bit, I think you should try drilling more holes using 1 mm.  That's what Stax does.

For stators, I use 1 mm copper clad PCB and 0.5 mm for spacers.

For diaphragms, I'm now trying 2 micron Mylar.  I will also try 3 micron later.  I've tried 0.8 and 1 micron Mylar, but I didn't like it.

You should go ahead and make the spacers and stators first.  Then you will have a good idea of what to do next.

Wachara C.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #258 of 4,059
The mylar 2um found it, what uses stax? for 1mm holes there are problems, they can also do 0.8 mm! for PCB thicknesses and tell me what features you must have and what can I advise you to use :wink: the my email is: antonino.scordato @ me.com

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #259 of 4,059
I'm not sure what Mylar thickness Stax's using.  Now I can get treble and mids as good as SR009, but for bass, mine is a little less. I've played with different tensions on 1 micron Mylar and I still couldn't get the same.  I'm now trying 2 micron, and it seems a little bit better than 1 micron.  I'll try 3 micron next.  

I'll convert my design info .dxf and send to you later.

Wachara C.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #260 of 4,059
You think that 3micron is better for bass, without penalizing the top and midle frequency?

ok, now realizze all the headphone, for the  thinkness mylar wait the your test :wink:

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #267 of 4,059
I know it's not DIY, but to begin wth...

I wonder if I could take the electrostatic cell out of an SR-X/Mk3 and fit it into larger circumaural headphones ?

The diameter of the cell is probably 70-80 mm. Would it be a problem to fit it into a larger cup ?

Thanks,

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #268 of 4,059
Hi Headdie,

If you know what you are doing, I'm sure that can be done.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Wachara C.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #269 of 4,059
Ok, I have the result of 3 micron Mylar.  It's definitely better with low frequencies.  What I'm hearing right now is very close to what I can hear from SR009.  
o2smile.gif

Using 3 micron Mylar, the bass just goes lower while mids and highs are not suffered.  I like it.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Wachara C.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #270 of 4,059
I'd like to hear it ! Lucky guys,

Technical question : What's the effect of the air volume in front an behind of the driver...

I mean, what's the effect if I increase the air volume in front of the driver with wider/deeper earpads ?

And what's the effect if I use a larger earcup ? I assume it won't change much if it's open, but I may be mistaken...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back