My DIY electrostatic headphones
May 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #316 of 4,059
Not really, just compatibility with the Stax setup.  The plan was to design drivers which would fit into some common frame with minimal modification needed.  I never nailed down any model I liked but pretty much anything with the right shape and driver mounting would work. 

May 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #318 of 4,059
Those do look smashing! 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Did measure the HE90 you had there and pretty much clone the drivers?  Reason I'm asking is I just got the price of the HE90 drivers and yeah... I'm not going to buy a set.  Insane is to put it lightly...  I do have a complete HE90 frame but no drivers so either something like this or a mounting plate to fit Lambda drivers.  I do think some of the better drivers, mounted properly, will be an improvement over the HE90.  Too bloody colored... 

May 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #319 of 4,059
Just awesome.... words fail.

May 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #320 of 4,059
Quote:
Those do look smashing! 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Did measure the HE90 you had there and pretty much clone the drivers?  Reason I'm asking is I just got the price of the HE90 drivers and yeah... I'm not going to buy a set.  Insane is to put it lightly...  I do have a complete HE90 frame but no drivers so either something like this or a mounting plate to fit Lambda drivers.  I do think some of the better drivers, mounted properly, will be an improvement over the HE90.  Too bloody colored... 

Hi spritzer,

Unfortunately, the HE90 wasn't mine, and I didn't want to open it up to make the measurement.  I did took out the earpad and spent a rather long time taking the measurement from outside the can.  But I'm sure that I'm pretty close.  :)

What parts do you need?  Do you have the exact measurements?  How about you send me the frames and I make the drivers for them?  
beyersmile.png

Here is the frame I've managed to cut today. I'll spend the next few days putting them together.  Let's see how they compare with the real thing.  :)

Wachara C.

May 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #321 of 4,059
What I need is a plate to fit drivers to, so it does the same job as the black protective plate on the HE90.  I have a nice stash of Lambda drivers so it would be a good idea to use them.  I'd have to have a few mounting plates made to see whether I should just use the protective grill on the Lambda drivers or fashion or build one into the plate and mount the drivers flush with it.  Here are a couple of pics of the cups, they are quite big so I'll just post the links:

http://i.imgur.com/l7RML.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Emgpt.jpg

You are very close with that one and here is how it looks with a Lambda driver inside. 

http://i.imgur.com/gayuA.jpg

imgur clearly doesn't like that plan but I'll carry on regardless. 
tongue.gif

May 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #322 of 4,059
Hi Spritzer,

Thanks for the pictures.  Your idea of fitting the Lamda drivers in the frame is interesting.  Do you want me to help you make the mounting plates? In order to make them, I need the exact dimensions.  Do you think that you can make the measurement for me?  What kind of material is good for making such mounting plates?  What should be the thickness?  How would you fix the Lamda drivers on the plate?

As for mine, I make the mounting plate out of a 5 mm plastic sheet (we call it plastwood here).  After fitting everything in, I found out that my mounting plate is a bit too thick.  If I were to do it again, I might go with 2-3 mm plate. But, what material is good, I don't know yet. :frowning2:

From your picture, I can see that the dust cover of the driver is actually made of some kind of woven fabric.  I suppose this is the side facing out, right?  The opposite side must be plastic then.

Wachara C.

May 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #324 of 4,059
Awesome! you ever consider lacquering those woodies?

May 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #325 of 4,059
Quote:
Hi Spritzer,

Thanks for the pictures.  Your idea of fitting the Lamda drivers in the frame is interesting.  Do you want me to help you make the mounting plates? In order to make them, I need the exact dimensions.  Do you think that you can make the measurement for me?  What kind of material is good for making such mounting plates?  What should be the thickness?  How would you fix the Lamda drivers on the plate?

As for mine, I make the mounting plate out of a 5 mm plastic sheet (we call it plastwood here).  After fitting everything in, I found out that my mounting plate is a bit too thick.  If I were to do it again, I might go with 2-3 mm plate. But, what material is good, I don't know yet. :frowning2:

From your picture, I can see that the dust cover of the driver is actually made of some kind of woven fabric.  I suppose this is the side facing out, right?  The opposite side must be plastic then.

Wachara C.

I'd love to see your measurements and compare them to mine but I'll probably bribe Dr. Gilmore with booze and cakes into helping me make the plates. 
redface.gif
  My plan is to just mimic how Stax made the Lambdas for 30 years so an aluminum plate (1.5-2mm) and the drivers then glued to the plate.  I might also try titanium plates to save on weight and also try to make the plates thicker in the center with a recess at the edges so that they fit the housing.

What will take some trial and error is the distance from the driver to the ear.  On a Lambda the driver is recessed by the thickness of the protective grill and it's support but this might not work on a HE90 frame.  So I'd either have to cut a slot into the plate like they do on the Lambda or drill holes and then mount the driver right next to the plate.  I'm worried about reflections if I do this and ditto about my idea of slightly angling the driver inside the cup.  Nobody said designing headphones was easy...
smily_headphones1.gif

Those drivers came out of a Lambda Pro and all pre 1992 Lambda drivers had that type of dustcover on the back.  It's woven nylon and Stax had used it since 1960 on the back.  It only proved to be a problem with the 1987 Lambda Signature as it didn't have any damping so dust had a much easier way of getting to the dust cover and cause issues. 

May 15, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #326 of 4,059
Hi Spritzer,

I'll try to make the exact measurement to show you tonight.  Before going to sleep last night, I was thinking the same as what you described.  I can use a 6-8 mm plastic and etch down to the shape of the Lamda driver. Put the Lamda driver in and fix it with a 1-2 mm aluminium or fiber glass top plate.  And you just put the whole thing into HE90 frame.  

Wachara C.

May 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #330 of 4,059
Quote:
Thanks guys for your compliments.  Frankly speaking, the amp case was a collaboration of a few of Thai DIYers  here in Thailand.  I made the amp, the other guys made the design and assembling.  By doing this, we brought out the best of everybody.  The case was inspired by Transformer the movie. 
dt880smile.png

About a DIY headphone kits, I've been thinking a lot about it.  But I have to say that I just can't do it.  I have a full time job, and I'm only make the headphones for fun.  My CNC machine is a homemade one and isn't really robust.  Thank you so much for your interest. 

Wachara C.

Have you heard of emachineshop?  They can do volume manufacturing for you.  Worth a look, at least.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back