Multi-IEM comparison: Vsonic GR07, Ultimate Ears UE700, TDK BA200, Etymotic Research HF5 and Audeo PFE 112
Dec 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #91 of 178
Quote:

Great, another one added to the list...crap
gs1000.gif

Nope.  My search is over.  I'm a happy man!  These are just, well, incredible in every way.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #92 of 178
Quote:
How is the low end? (Punchy, good sub bass etc.)

So far, assuming things don't "Burn in" which I'm not sure if that is real or not, they are perfect in every way bass-wise.  Even if they get bassier they would still be great, but I would say the bass is tight, clean, well extended into the lowest end, realistic in tone, perfectly balanced with the rest of the frequencies.  I suppose these would be called V-shaped, and they are in the sense that they have great bass and great treble, but they don't "sound" that v-shaped like some other phones to me.  The mids are there when they need to be and they reproduce every instrument in a way that makes the instrument sound "correct".  But they don't have the warm mid boost some phones have where things sound mid-centric...

The bass is a little less than the GR07 in volume, but much more balanced with the other frequencies and itself.  They don't have as much midbass as the gr07, from what I remember, but I always thought the gr07 had a mid bass boost anyway...  So far I'm very pleased with everything i throw at it from classical to BT.  The bass is there when it needs to be.  Pianos sound the best I've ever heard in headphones.  They have all the nuanced details and open-ness they need while having enough low body to make them sound the size they are in real life.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #93 of 178
Fantastic - I forget did you ever compare them the SM3, both sell for around the same price and I heard great things about those as well.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #95 of 178
Quote:
Fantastic - I forget did you ever compare them the SM3, both sell for around the same price and I heard great things about those as well.

No, I haven't had a chance to hear the SM3.  But I read a lot of reviews of them in the process.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #96 of 178
Quote:
Glad to hear you found something that you really like, without caveats or exceptions.
Do post more impressions and add a review if you're so inclined.

I will definitely have a review coming at some point.  I have a few more pairs to review and I want to get used to these a little first...

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #99 of 178
Quote:
I do, two guys from the 90s right? Glad you are enjoying your new PFE.

90s to current.  Rofl and Fonnuala.  He composes, records and plays the piano, she plays the violin.  They are incredible.  His recordings are some of the best I've ever heard.  Just plain beautiful music. :)  Yes, I'm loving these so much.  There isn't a large difference, but they just sound phenomenal on my apogee duet amp.  I may have to buy an amp for my ipod. haha.  The difference is small, but things just sound more flat and reference quality on the duet.  Nonetheless, they are the best i've ever head any ipod sound.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #100 of 178
Here are some good songs from them.  Obviously youtube does no justice to the quality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sWnEWpS_fA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjUNAMGwmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ukb8VmS4bk&hd=1

Most people don't realize that rolf actually composed this song and recorded the original version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xRUNszZEg

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #101 of 178
Quote:
I do, two guys from the 90s right? Glad you are enjoying your new PFE.

:-/  Well, unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse...

I'm gonna save time and copy and paste from another post I made :p....

I was listening to the pfe232 last night and I was in love.  Then today, switching genres and trying all sorts of songs I was completely disappointed about as many times as I was in awe.  It's like the treble on these is a double edge sword.  The iPod makes it twice as bad, but even on the duet amp it varies so much based on song.

Through research I believe the impedance difference of the devices is why the treble is more laid back on the duet.  However, ClieOS and a few others I've discussed it with seem to agree an amp may not fix that, as they strive to be lower output impedance not higher.  Plus, an amp that retains the duet quality would easily be over $100 and that puts me higher than I'd like to spend really.  I'm already above what I set out to spend, but I just cannot live with the flaws of all of these headphones.  It's either unlistenable sibilance, lack of all bass, lack of all treble.  I'm truly in shock that more balanced decent quality headphones aren't out there.  And if they are it's even more frustrating that it is so hard to know what they will sound like before you buy them.

Everything is online now, no stores let you try IEMs, at least in NH, let alone sell IEMs.  How many times do I want to buy and return a headphone?  I've already done so more than I really wanted to.  I'm going to write a review on the PFE232 so you'll know what I'm talking about, but basically the treble is unnaturally bright on a lot of songs.  Sometimes this makes cymbals sound far too in your face and almost sibilant in a way that I literally can't listen to the song.  Other times the treble opens up a song so well it shows more depth than I've ever heard.  And not just in a "ooh that's bright" way, but actual detail resolution.  But the point I'm at now is that I have probably found 50% of the music almost unlistenable and 50% very enjoyable.  That is not acceptable for me.  I realize no headphone is perfect, but even my ex85lp sounded "good" on everything I ever threw at it.  All I wanted in the first place was something flatter than the ex85lp.  Less bass and better treble extension.  Not even better treble really, just extension further up, say past 13k or so.

I'm not sure if I should just quit or start the whole process over with "over the ear" headphones.  Or keep trying IEMs in the 300-500 range.  But then that becomes a challenge, because a lot of places don't allow returns that sell those quality IEMs, and I have no way of trying them.  I can't afford to go through 5 pairs and lose 30% on each sale.  Ugh.  I have no idea where to go from here.

I even let my wife try the pfe232 vs my ex85lp.  She isn't an audiophile and I didn't tell her anything about the songs and she literally took them out of her ears on one song and made a disgusted face because of the cymbal sibilance issue.  She said she couldn't listen to that. But in the same way she heard another song and said it sounded better.  The point being, I don't think I'm being too "picky", but that it really is unlistenable in a lot of cases.  Perhaps people with different amps have different results, but I just can't live with a headphone that only allows me to listen to a portion of my music.  Sooo....... what to do....?

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #102 of 178
Ugh. I have no idea where
to go from here.

Get some $20 TDK MT300's and be inexplicably happy with them :)

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #103 of 178
Quote:
Get some $20 TDK MT300's and be inexplicably happy with them :)

hahaha.. at this point i don't doubt i could be just as happy with something sub $100.  But I think I am hooked on the "speed" of balanced armatures.  If that's the right word.  They seem to have very fast attack and decay speed with sound.  It makes them sound very nimble... :p  And rom everything I've heard I definitely don't want any bass "boost" per se.  I favor a flat bass or a slightly increased bass like the gr07 in volume.  No more than that though...

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #104 of 178
Hmm. Maybe look into getting some Shure olives for your HF5. It seriously has the best treble I've heard to date. The mids are awesome too.
hahaha.. at this point i don't doubt i could be just as happy with something sub $100.  But I think I am hooked on the "speed" of balanced armatures.  If that's the right word.  They seem to have very fast attack and decay speed with sound.  It makes them sound very nimble... :p  And rom everything I've heard I definitely don't want any bass "boost" per se.  I favor a flat bass or a slightly increased bass like the gr07 in volume.  No more than that though...

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #105 of 178
Quote:
Hmm. Maybe look into getting some Shure olives for your HF5. It seriously has the best treble I've heard to date. The mids are awesome too.

I got rid of the hf5, so I can't try those tips, although even if it enhanced the bass i don't think it would have matched my expectations. :)  I found the pfe112 bass light, and that was more than the hf5. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back