Multi-IEM comparison: Vsonic GR07, Ultimate Ears UE700, TDK BA200, Etymotic Research HF5 and Audeo PFE 112
Dec 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 178

luisdent

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread is basically a list of songs from a variety of genres that I have listened to with comments on my observations of the sound properties of each.  I have listened to each song from beginning to end and also compared small sections of interest to get a full engrossing feel for each song through each IE and also a quick side by side comparison to more speedily relate the differences where needed.

I have done all of the testing on my apogee duet and some additional comparisons on my 5th generation iPod touch. Both devices with lossless files reflected all of the same exact differences between IEs.  I have compared the following IEMs:

Audeo PFE 112
Etymotic Research HF5
TDK BA200
Ultimate Ears UE700
Vsonic GR07

Please let me know if you would like me to compare any specific songs in the next few days while I have these.  I'm copying and editing these, so if there are any blaring mistakes let me know.  I've tried to be extensive and do as many genres as I could reasonably.  This is is no specific order, sorry. :p  Here we go...

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 178
Also, please note that all of the observations and comments are relative to the comparison.  I found all of these IEMs to be very nice.  I am simply trying to differentiate them based on their relative properties.  So saying something is "harsh" might mean that it is actually harsh, but more specifically that it is harsh compared to the others being compared.  The same would be true if saying one is very clear.  I may not be saying all of the others lack clarity, but only that compared to these specific sets one would be more clear. :)

For each song, I have made bold and placed an asterisk next to the set that sounded the best.

The final tally for which sets sounded the best to me, please read on for explanation:

UPDATED TOTALS:
17 - Audeo PFE 112 - STILL THE WINNER!!! :p
15 - Sony XBA-3
05 - TDK BA200
01 - Ultimate Ears UE700
01 - Vsonic GR07
00 - Etymotic Research HF5

Apparently the PFE and XBA are too close to call it at this point.  I'll have to do some more song comparisons with just those two, as it is obvious those are the top two for me in the comparison.

Clearly the Audeo PFE112 is the winner for me.  I found the 112 to best the best balanced, most detailed and best overall quality.  A close second was the Sony XBA-3.

The BA200 did very good overall and only really lacked the superior crispness and spaciousness of the 112.

I found the UE700 to be more flat and balanced than the GR07, but oddly enough, I would say I'd rather own the GR07.  Even though the UE700 won one more point, there were a lot of songs that would have placed the GR07 in second if I were counting places for every song.  The bass response and musicality of the GR07 was better than the UE700 in my opinion.  I found the UE700 overall too mid/high "tone-y" on a lot of songs, and they had a certain veiled-ness in the overall sound and lack of really high frequencies.  Otherwise, they did well in other areas.

The ER HF5 was a hard call, because I had a hard time getting a good fit.  When I did get a proper fit they sounded good, but I gave up continuously trying to fit them with different earpieces and moving them all over the place to get the perfect angle and insertion.  So, it is possible they didn't sound as good as they could have, but i can say that they did sound consistent when I had them in the position I considered "proper".  In that position they compared to the others closely, minus the observations commented.  I did however discontinue comparing them some way through, because I felt they didn't do anything for me, being hard to position and fit in my ear.

Although this is primarily a sound quality comparison, I'll add that I find the GR07 and PFE112 cables to be the most durable feeling with the HF5 and BA200 in second and UE700 in last.  The included accessories are all pretty good.  The GR07 has the most variety of tips, which is nice to get a great fit.  The HF5 and UE700 have a nice case providing good protection, with the the PFE112 in second having two compartments and the HF5 and BA200 in third being basic pouches (but nice pouches nonetheless).

They all have some level of cable noise transmitted to the earpieces, however the GR07 and PFE112 are greatly reduced being over the ear and further if you use the ear guides included.

With that said, read on... :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 178
dream theater - scene two: 1 (ROCK/METAL)
hf5        mid/high centric, but overall fairly flat, good separation and detail, but lacking crisp high highs and bass/kick drum thump is lack a but of power
gr07        muffled snare and cymbals, good bass with toms, dark tone overall, muffled lead guitar, lacking high clarity
ba200        mid centric, lacking super high clarity, overall smooth, bass on gr07 was better
ue700        less distinct overall veiled sound, lacking very high clarity, very mid/high tonality fatiguing a bit, fairly distinct otherwise
*pfe112    clear and spacious, good mid toms, kicks are thin but easier to hear and punchy, cymbals much more clear but not harsh, slightly fatiguing overall if too loud (probably mostly due to recording dynamic compression), ending section instrument separation simply incredible
*xba-3        tied with the pfe112, which did surprisingly well considering their typical lack of bass.  these bring out the cymbal work more and the cymbals and kick drums sound more realistic and easily heard.  the overall sound is great and more crispness and dynamics than the other sets, but they are more bright and bassy whereas the pfe is more mid-centric.  both do well, but simply different.  if you like double kick drums go with the xba, if you like more warmth and forwardness in some electric guitars go with the pfe.  the xba is better at giving the electric guitars their realistic metal tone, but sometime lack a very small amount of mid body.

daniel bedingfield - if you're not the one (POP)
hf5        very good overall fr, low on bass, but it's there, lacking ultra crisp highs, but general high fr is excellent
gr07        overal decent, sibilant percussion
ba200        overall smooth and warm but fairly clear percussion
ue700        loud rimshot slightly muffled sounding or at least mid dominant lacks airiness
*pfe112    good separation and clarity, smoothest overall of the sets from low to high, 3d, spacious and detailed
*xba-3        best instrument separation and clarity, provides the much needed bass the pfe112 is missing, the sub bass in when the bass comes in fills the xba nicely and smoothly, if there were one nitpick, the percussive snaps and hits can seem too dynamic and jump out at louder volumes, although they are the clearest and most distinct of the sets and this could very well be the recording

bread - guitar man (SOFT ROCK/POP)
hf5        excellent overall tone and quality, not really lacking in any way, but not as precise/spacious as pfe112
gr07        mid heavy, sibilant vocals, good depth and reverb trails, drums have good body, fatiguing overall
ba200        great overall quality, perhaps lacking ultra crispness, but otherwise great
ue700        veiled soundind, muffled vocals, lacking ultra highs, slightly fatuiging
*pfe112    great distance instrumentation, spacious, cymbals sound real, kicks sound clear and punchy
*xba-3        best clarity and separation, drums sound more real than pfe having the papery snare properties and low kick frequencies. the silent passages of the song where the vocals are gently really show the xba's 3d-ness and realism.  the pfe are smooth in the mids lacking a little detail vs the xba, but the xba might be slightly fatiguing to some at the cost of clarity if too loud.

david benoit - safari (JAZZ)
hf5        good overall sound, lacking in the sub bass a tad and crisp high highs, but the overall song sounds excellent if a bit nasaly
gr07        "tone-y" piano not really 'nasally', good bass guitar presence, great toms, smooth and relaxing overall
ba200        good overall tone, clear piano and percussion, although lacking vey high clarity, bass low but good
ue700        hollow sounding ("at the end" of the room sound), percussion clear but not as distinct, overall veiled sound lacking crisp ultra highs, bass low but decent
*pfe112    spacious and clear, piano sounds very real, bass is very precise and surprisingly good at lows, toms more recessed but distinct, overall smooth and very pleasing only lacking a little real crispness the xba has
*xba-3        best detail and clarity, lacking a bit of mids that make this song sound smooth, but still very realistic overall. most realistic sounding piano tone, and tom drums really excell

bt - suddenly (ELECTRONIC)
hf5        very midh/high heavy makes it fatiguing and sharp and hard to appreciate dynamics, surpassingly the mid bass is excellent in this song  vocals sound rough
gr07        excellent bass, hard hitting but not too much, muffled overall highs, did i mention awesome bass???, some slightly sibilant instruments and vocals but not much, lacking super "dead stop" dynamics
ba200        where'd the super gr07 bass go? haha, good bass overall, clearer than gr07 but lacking real crisp highs, pretty god "dead stop" dynamics, smooth overall, very good instrument separation and distinction, heard cymbals i didn't hear in the gr07
ue700        good separation and distinctness but mid/high centric and fatiguing, not as 3d and lacking ver high crispness, vocals stand out almost too much, overall just not pleasant sounding
*pfe112    good dynamics and clarity, well separated and distinct, overall spacious.  bass very tight and clean albeit very slightly low, some slightly sharp sounding instruments here and there, more fatiguing at louder volumes than others mainly due to original recording, but easier to listen to than most due to overall separation and flatness
*xba-3        mmmm, bass, this shows that the xba has reall bass when it needs it thanks to that sub driver, overall the clear winner here for bass.  strong and tight but not too loud.  overall song has clarity that makes the dynamics stand out, realistic percussion.  some sibilance, but this song is notorius for being a bit sibilant overall.  pfe is slightly better but at the cost of the high cliartiy these have

hans zimmer - the battle (ORCHESTRAL/SOUNDTRACK)
hf5        very good overall quality with great dynamics, a bit strong in the mid/treble area at time, but it didn't detract from the good sound, lacking extreme bass and highs though
gr07        lacking string clarity/distinctness, overall muddled/muffled sound, good full low/mid frequencies and quality tough, great horns that stand out well
*ba200        much more open and clear vs gr07, instruments sound more real, strings have clearer attack and texture, less low, but still good and balanced, more mid-centric sounding overall, more dramatic/dynamic overall
ue700        overall decent separation and distinctness, but mid-centric sound, lacking clear ultra highs, same distant room sound as usual like the music is more in front of you, but veiled slightly, horns slightly fatiguing
*pfe112    depth and spaciousness top notch, micro-details in strings apparent, most like listening to a speaker, surprisingly the least fatiguing even at moderate volumes, the most dynamic and engrossing, simply superb
*xba-3        best clarity and micro details by far.  very dynamic.  high frequency dynamics can get a little fatiguing though.  good overall sound, missing some warmth that would smooth out the overall song and probably eliminate fatigue.

jim croce - i got a name (FOLK)
hf5        a bit harsh with harmonies and tone-y mid/highs at times, but very detailed overall and instrumentation is well separated
gr07        good mid bass details, muffled overall, lacking crispness even in basic highs, not very pleasing overall good separation and distinctness nonetheless, sort of 'boxy' sounding
ba200        good overall tone, lacking super crispness, but otherwise clear, bass even and mid-centric, very distinct instrumentation,
ue700        mid/high centric tonality, vocal harmonies can be slightly piercing, typical "veiled" sound as before
*pfe112    wow, the piano sounds more realistic, much clearer and spacious as usual, great harmonies and vocal levels, very flat and smooth but clear
*xba-3        best micro details and widest stereo separation, pfe is more warm and smooth, but xba is still nice and things are easier to pick out

bob marly - stir it up (REGGAE)
hf5        though mid-centric, they have good clarity and overall fr for this song, very detailed sound and smooth overall presentation no distracting frequencies, good mid bass/guitars distinction
gr07        good bass and guitars, vocals sound a bit odd but good
ba200        more open and spacious than gr07, bass not as good, but still there and decent, vocals more clear and present, much better instrument distinctness and clarity, notice little things i didn't notice on gr07
ue700        good overall balance, not super crisp, but clear and distinct instrumentation, surprisingly close to the ba200 overall, perhaps more even bass than ba200, not as veiled or tone-y as usual
*pfe112    kick drums sound more noticeably kicky,much more spacious, very tight baseline on par with ue700 bass level but much tighter sounding, best overall distinctness/clarity/spaciousness
*xba-3        good bass and treble, but sounds a little thin in comparison to the pfe.  the clarity is a tad better and some instruments sound more in a real space, but also lack some warmth and reverb trails. widest stereo separatoin of the sets

david gates = where does the loving' go (SOFT ROCK/POP)
gr07        beautiful bass, smooth and deep as needed, mid forward vocals, fairly crisp slightly sibilant at times vocally
ba200        clearer than others except pfe112, well balanced, guitars sound very nice and fuller than others, lacking highest highs of the pfe, but very crisp nonetheless
ue700        overall very balanced and clear, lacking highest highs, but still very distinct instrumentation, slightly mid/high tonality at times almost resulting in sibilance, but not as bad as gr07
*pfe112    more spacious and clear/crisp, much more balanced and flat sounding, vocals and guitars sound "just right" and distinct, lacking some sub bass bus mid bass very good
*xba-3        very crisp and clear but the vocals stand out a little too much at times.  instruments have very distinct cliks and snaps, strums and plucks.

keith urban - yo'll think of me (COUNTRY)
gr07        bass is good with good tone and sub extension, perhaps not as clear in the mid bass as ba200 though, good separation, guitars are full and clear sounding, vocals a bit sibilant but not too harsh, you can clearly hear the deessign done to his voice in these. haha
*ba200        very smooth and clean sounding, bass fairly well extended and sounds good, lacks the crispest highs, but overall good highs
ue700        good overall balance, great instrument separation and distinctness, bass on par with ba200 but slightly lower level, very 3d vs ba200 and gr07, vocals about 50% as sibilant as gr07
*pfe112    most spacious and clear, vocal surprisingly has good amount of low "body", bass level between ue700 and ba200, a bit vocal forward vs. others, least sibilant despite clarity, tiny percussive dings and clicks more noticeable
*xba-3        again, best clarity.  guitars sound the most realistic and there is a good neutral bass level.  not as smooth and warm as the pfe, but has more distinct intrumentation

atmosphere - scapegoat (RAP)
*gr07        best bass tone/level, clear vocals, overall very smooth and clean sounding, slightly sibilant vocal
ba200        smooth overall, good bass and treble, slightly warm
ue700        most dynamic snare drum, sibilant vocals, more mid centric overall
*pfe112    most spacious and real sounding, best kick drum thump and overall very open sounding
xba-3       clear and dynamic, but snare drum has a weird frequency, slightly little raspy overall

alan parsons project - time (ROCK)
gr07        clean good bass, good overall fr, slightly sibilant at times, strings stand out well
ba200        clear guitars although lacking "body", tight bass albeit lower than others, it seems like a mid cut exists somewhere in the fr in this song, otherwise decent overall
ue700        very distinct guitars, overall fairly "flat" sounding (not in a good way), some sibilance in vocals and drums here and there
*pfe112    unbelievable, more spacious, clearer instrumentation and separation while retaining great overall balance, bass on the lower side of the three three but on par with ba200 and tightest sounding, strings and guitars stand out well but also very lush and full while having great micro details, vocal the clearest but with no sibilance issues
xba-3        smae overall quality as pfe, but a little fatuiging in the treble and lacking the nice warm mids
ex85lp (for fun)    holy bass momma, lacking certain mid frequencies for fullness, decent highs, but not as distinct and well separated as others, strings sound muffled although still show decent details, bass sounds sort of muddy but strong, soundstage not as well presented, lacking the depth of others, but overall really surprised that they aren't as bad as I expected hearing them again
earpods (for fun)    too much mid bass and mid/highs, like two camel humps, otherwise decent brightness and detail, lacking the real depth of others, separation is odd being decent but somehow not right, a little fatiguing overall

yo-yo ma - suite for solo celo no. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007: I. Prélude (CLASSICAL)
gr07        lots of low mid body, not sure if that's good or not in this case, highs are lacking micro details, but still very clear, somewhat sibilant string noise at times but very slightly
*ba200        more realistic sounding than gr07, more spacious and deep, almost sounds like you're in a hall with yo-yo ma, very nice overall sound nothing lacking, body of cello more believable than gr07, low string noises sound awesome, more dynamic sounding
ue700        lacking lower frequencies that really bring out the cello body, mids are nice enough but overall sounds a bit boxy, some mid highs stand out far too much unnaturally, lacking highest highs for airy-ness, but overall more balanced than gr-07, not as good as ba200
*pfe112    incredible micro details apparent in string bowing that no other pair makes apparent, no noticeable flaws anywhere, but ba200 seems to have more ambiance in the mids and while the strings sound most realistic here the ba200 overall sounds more pleasant and "room-like"
*xba-3        very good micro details, lacking the mid warmth quality of the pfe , if the pfe were slightly less than perfect treble amount these would be slightly too much treble, alittle raspy overall but otherwise essentially comparable overall to pfe

tomaso giovanni albinoni - adagio for organ and strings in G minor [denon 24/7: 1] (CLASSICAL)
gr07        strings sound good, but not as full as they could, organs sound good, overall doesn't sound as 3d or spacious as i'd like, but really no flaws here either, decent enough balance overall, whether good or bad tonality really brings out the organs at times
*ba200        nice and spacious, well balanced, strings have good warmth and detail, more dynamic and dramatic than gr07, engrossing experience, organs not as full bodied as gr07, but sound realistic and great
ue700        strings sound reasonably warm but overall song lacks high clarity, well balanced otherwise, dynamic but a bit mid/high heavy, organs sound reasonably full but lack real good detail levels
*pfe112    details, details, details, immediately hear the string bowing better, clicks and knocks of performers are much more apparent, strings sound the most "airy" and very smooth and soft but still dynamic and crisp, string counter melodies and harmonies more apparent in the mix, the mid counter melody strings have a "make you cry" sort of beauty to them lacking in the others, everything just sounds more realistic, organs sound like pipe organs, if you are familiar with organs, you hear the pipe-e-ness of the organs much better here, this is they only set that literally gave me physical chills at the end buildup
*xba-3        you can here people shufflinf their instruments very clearly.  as typical, a little brighter than neutral, very good micro details, but not enough mid body making strings lack some warmth

orgy - candyass (ROCK/METAL?)
gr07        really well on this song., good bass, good mids, vocals sound present but not harsh, good separation
*ba200        brings out the instrument details more than the gr07, really grungy guitar sounds great and more in your face, snare drums snappier and more depth, bass was nicer on the gr07
ue700        good separation, lacking the crispness of the ba200/pfe112 but detailed, grungy guitar a little fatiguing, vocals and instrumental separated well and god depth
*pfe112    i expected worse, but these brought out more dynamics, cymbals can be hear clearer with no harshness, best depth and immersion, good bass but not as much bass level as others, overall bright vs others but not in a bad way, the first grungy guitars before the vocals come in are nice and thich mid range tones
*xba-3        clearere than pfe but less mids, overall very similar though with just a bit of essssss-ness to the song

andy mckee - rylynn (ACOUSTIC/NEW AGE?)
gr07        good note picking "pluckiness", lacking highest highs, room ambience gets a little lost, good low guitar body
ba200        more balanced than gr07, still lacking deepest ambience, but nice string slapping details can be heard
ue700        surprisingly good overall, a little less depth than ba200 in the highest frequencies and a little mid forward, overall good sound though
*pfe112    I play guitar, and this was by far the most accurate/realistic sounding, string sliding more apparent, slaps and picking more crisp and natural, note wobble and bending more recognizable, depth sounds great with a metallic reverb of the strings more realistic, very nice overall
*xba-3        very precise, string noises are just great. as usuall pfe slightly warmer with xba slightly crisper

marvin gaye - what's going on (ROCK/OLDIES)
gr07        very nice overall, good instrument details and separation
ba200        more depth and clarity than gr07 but gr07 mid/bass makes the song sound smoother
*ue700        compares very well with gr07 and ba200, more balanced than both for this song, good separation overall
*pfe112    most depth by far, strings sound more 3d and real, although not loud bass is easier heard and well defined notes

*xba-3        clear and overall good quality on the brighter side with thin mids.  warmth of the pfe helps give this song some love. :p  but both very good.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 178
The PFE 112 song descriptions almost sound like a broken record haha. I wonder if it sounds... spacious to you? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 178
Quote:
When you could get the HF5 to fit, how different from the PFE was it?

I'm slightly interested in the PFE, but I want a frame of reference based on the Etymotic.

When I fit the HF5 well I would say it is the closest of them all to the PFE.  It is well balanced, but like the PFE, it lacks some of the lower low frequencies if you like a more well rounded bass.  I'd have to here it again, but I think the HF5 bass was the smallest amount louder than the PFE, but I'll have to try them again.  Most people would probably call them both bass light or "thin" overall.  But they are really pretty well balanced.  The PFE takes the HF5's good treble and extends it a little further to add more crispness a little higher in the spectrum.  I would describe the PFE as having razor crisp treble with no negative side effects.... 

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 178
Quote:
When I fit the HF5 well I would say it is the closest of them all to the PFE.  It is well balanced, but like the PFE, it lacks some of the lower low frequencies if you like a more well rounded bass.  I'd have to here it again, but I think the HF5 bass was the smallest amount louder than the PFE, but I'll have to try them again.  Most people would probably call them both bass light or "thin" overall.  But they are really pretty well balanced.  The PFE takes the HF5's good treble and extends it a little further to add more crispness a little higher in the spectrum.  I would describe the PFE as having razor crisp treble with no negative side effects.... 

Even lighter than the HF5? Wow.

FWIW, I found the HF5's treble to be near perfect, but it just lacked body below that.

Do me a favor, could you listen to the songs here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/631704/double-review-etymotic-hf3-sony-xba-3-with-appearances-from-the-vsonic-gr07-mkii) and compare the GR07 with the PFE. If you find the comparisons similar to how I hear the 07 vs hf5, I think I'll pass.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 178
Quote:

Even lighter than the HF5? Wow.

FWIW, I found the HF5's treble to be near perfect, but it just lacked body below that.

Do me a favor, could you listen to the songs here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/631704/double-review-etymotic-hf3-sony-xba-3-with-appearances-from-the-vsonic-gr07-mkii) and compare the GR07 with the PFE. If you find the comparisons similar to how I hear the 07 vs hf5, I think I'll pass.

Sure.  I'll have to take the hf5 back out and give them a listen now....

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 178
As I remembered, the treble pretty much goes up where the hf5 left out.  The cymbals in the live orchestra sound more like a real metal cymbal and there is more ambiance.  Small differences, but basically more extended treble.  The bass is odd.  The hf5 almost sounds less bassy than the pfe, but i would almost just say they're different.  I think the pfe definitely can hit a deeper sub bass note, but not any louder really, it can just get down that low.  That would be my one qualm with both, is that the bass, if only 10% more would really enhance the overall sound and make them closer to perfection...

The pfe open up the soundstage on the adele song a little more.  Things sound clearer and more distinct just a bit.  I would say the hf5 almost sound smoother overall than the pfe, but that might just be the lack of extension, i'm not sure.  they sound smooth though with great treble.  the pfe sound a little more airy with a bit more high highs, but perhaps thinner in the mids just a tiny tiny bit.  Overall they are very close in balance, but they do have different sound signatures.  Keep in mind, the pfe allows you to switch filters which basically adds a bit more bass by lowering the mids and treble a tad.  unfortunately, instead of lower the fr across the board it lowers the mid more than the treble, so while it still sound excellent, it isn't as well balanced and detailed with the black filters, but it is probably what most people prefer having slightly boosted bass and treble... especially in a set that is already low on bass...  no pun intended...

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 178
yeah.. listening to the orchestral track again, at 1:54 the plucked strings sound a lot more clear and 3d like you're there...  the hf5 are a bit more mid toned and lack the ultra crispness....

each time i keep switching between them they sound similar, but the pfe just "opens up" the atmosphere a lot...

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 178
Quote:
As I remembered, the treble pretty much goes up where the hf5 left out.  The cymbals in the live orchestra sound more like a real metal cymbal and there is more ambiance.  Small differences, but basically more extended treble.  The bass is odd.  The hf5 almost sounds less bassy than the pfe, but i would almost just say they're different.  I think the pfe definitely can hit a deeper sub bass note, but not any louder really, it can just get down that low.  That would be my one qualm with both, is that the bass, if only 10% more would really enhance the overall sound and make them closer to perfection...

The pfe open up the soundstage on the adele song a little more.  Things sound clearer and more distinct just a bit.  I would say the hf5 almost sound smoother overall than the pfe, but that might just be the lack of extension, i'm not sure.  they sound smooth though with great treble.  the pfe sound a little more airy with a bit more high highs, but perhaps thinner in the mids just a tiny tiny bit.  Overall they are very close in balance, but they do have different sound signatures.  Keep in mind, the pfe allows you to switch filters which basically adds a bit more bass by lowering the mids and treble a tad.  unfortunately, instead of lower the fr across the board it lowers the mid more than the treble, so while it still sound excellent, it isn't as well balanced and detailed with the black filters, but it is probably what most people prefer having slightly boosted bass and treble... especially in a set that is already low on bass...  no pun intended...

Ah, ok. Thanks. I think I'll pass then.

From your description, I was thinking the PFE would be a GR07 would more forward mids, typical armature sub-bass with well-bodied mid-bass, and more refined treble.

The search goes on then...

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 178
Quote:

Ah, ok. Thanks. I think I'll pass then.

From your description, I was thinking the PFE would be a GR07 would more forward mids, typical armature sub-bass with well-bodied mid-bass, and more refined treble.

The search goes on then...

The pfe are chock full of detail atmosphere and a 3d "you're there" feeling.  They are not well bodied mid bass in my opinion.  They're not bad, but bass isn't their strong point.  They have more of an accurate hitting bass but with a very laid back low level bassiness.  Relatively speaking they are probably one of the lower bass sets I've tested.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 178
Quote:
The pfe are chock full of detail atmosphere and a 3d "you're there" feeling.  They are not well bodied mid bass in my opinion.  They're not bad, but bass isn't their strong point.  They have more of an accurate hitting bass but with a very laid back low level bassiness.  Relatively speaking they are probably one of the lower bass sets I've tested.

So are the Etys. However, I don't believe you can replicate that live feeling without a healthy bass response. The HF5 (and presumably the PFE) has good punch, but no growl, rumble, or moan in the bass. 

I guess I'll really have to hunt down an EX1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back