Multi-IEM comparison: Vsonic GR07, Ultimate Ears UE700, TDK BA200, Etymotic Research HF5 and Audeo PFE 112
Mar 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #166 of 178
Do you have recommendation where to buy the er-4s and price that I should expect? Thanks

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #169 of 178
I saw the ER4-P for $289 on amazon but I guess it's better to spend ten bucks more and get it directly from the manufacturer.

I'm not sure if it's "better", but probably the safest. Amazon might ship faster if you have prime. But make sure it is sold by amazon and not a third party seller...

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #170 of 178
I am seeing ER-4S for 199 and then both the ER-4P and ER-4PT for 279 and 289 - any idea on the differences?

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #171 of 178
I am seeing ER-4S for 199 and then both the ER-4P and ER-4PT for 279 and 289 - any idea on the differences?

Yes. The difference, as I mentioned, is that it isn't sold by amazon. It is sold by some Japan import company. While they may be fine, I don't buy from stores I don't know or trust. Plus the discount seems sketchy if it is really new in box.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #172 of 178
Quote:

The P and PT version are pretty much the same as far as I know, the latter is a newer model, both have less impedance that the S model, the S is the better sounding (I haven't heard any though) but you can convert the P or PT into a S with an adapter.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #173 of 178
The P and PT version are pretty much the same as far as I know, the latter is a newer model, both have less impedance that the S model, the S is the better sounding (I haven't heard any though) but you can convert the P or PT into a S with an adapter.

Yes. The p is a portable version they made for portable devices. The lower impedance makes then easier to drive without an extra amp. But at the cost of accuracy. Basically they sound less bright and detailed, but still very good.

They are identical otherwise. The s actually has a resistor built into the cable. You can buy the resistor as an adaptor sold by etymotic and you get the same exact sound, but also the higher impedance, so you might find you need an amp...

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #174 of 178
Thanks Boys - I will check into the S version and see if I can find them from a good seller and of course wait for great price. 
popcorn.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #175 of 178
Quote:
Audeo PFE 112
Etymotic Research HF5
TDK BA200
Ultimate Ears UE700
Vsonic GR07

Could you make a comparison to the question i posed here? (not of course for the R-50
tongue.gif
).
That is between the BA200, HF5, UE700, Audeo 112. Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658843/rock-it-sounds-r-50-review#post_9346869

The thing is that price consideration i can find Audeo 112 for 110$, UE700 for 92$, BA200 for 142$ and HF5 for 143$

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #176 of 178
Quote:

Could you make a comparison to the question i posed here? (not of course for the R-50
tongue.gif
).
That is between the BA200, HF5, UE700, Audeo 112. Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658843/rock-it-sounds-r-50-review#post_9346869

The thing is that price consideration i can find Audeo 112 for 110$, UE700 for 92$, BA200 for 142$ and HF5 for 143$

Personally I'd choose the pfe 112 every time.  Where is it 110?  I'll buy another one, seriously.  Ha.  I love my er4s, but I just bought a pfe112 because I missed it so much.  I find now with the foam tips it is on par with the er4s.  It has perfect bass if neutrality is your goal, the er4s lacks a teensy bit, but has more even treble.  However, the pfe treble is so amazing, even though it is just the slightest bit uneven compared to the er4s, you could almost say it is a good unevenness.  It brings vocals the smallest bit more forward and intimate. Otherwise, it is an almost perfectly flat IEM and I'd choose it every time.  I'd pay $200 for it knowing how they all sound now.

I'd say the HF5 is out if you want neutrality.  The hf5 is like the er4s, but not as well extended on both ends.  However, the pfe112 is so close to the er4s i'd say it's closer than the hf5 in some ways.  The ba200 is great but lacks the treble airiness of the pfe112 and er4s.  The ue700 is probably the worst of them all, but still a very good set as it is the cheapest.

If it were me I wouldn't hesitate for a second and get the pfe112 and a backup pair because they're not made anymore.  If I had to pick a second best it would probabyl be the bas200 or hf5 tied...  The ba200 has better bass, the hf5 better treble.

I'll just say lastly that I've come full circle.  I used to find the pfe112 to have not enough bass.  However, after trying so many IEMs, I find now that I was not only wrong, but that the bass is so perfect I can't believe I didn't like it before.  I can't listen to any more bass than the pfe112 now.  It sounds too boosted.  The pfe112 is just incredibly flat and revealing.  As you can read in all my comparisons, I thought it was pretty much the best out of every single test, but I thought it lacked bass.  Well, I find now that the bass being lower is the exact reason it sounded so good.  Every other IEM i tried sounded similar when I lowered the bass or adjusted the eq to flatten out the spectrum, which more closely matches the pfe112 as it is very flat.  So by the bass being level, the rest of the spectrum sounds incredible.  Now that I've compared so many I actually find the bass plenty.  More than plenty, it keeps surprising me with how deep it can go.  It isn't for bassheads, but someone wanting flat high quality sound will have a good healthy bass....

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #177 of 178
One thing to know if i go with the pfe 112. or maybe two things
tongue.gif

1) Isolation

Is it good? for traffic environment, walking, buses etc.?

2) No amp

I am not gonna use any amp

3) filters

Do i need to buy filters?

a) That would be added cost and
b) Are they still being in production now that phonak is dead?

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #178 of 178
Quote:
One thing to know if i go with the pfe 112. or maybe two things
tongue.gif

1) Isolation
Is it good? for traffic environment, walking, buses etc.?

That depends on what you're looking for.  They are very good isolation with the foam tips, but not as good as the etymotic er4s.  The silicon tips are average, which isn't a bad thing.  If you want to block out all possible sound in a loud environment they are average.  The er4s would give you a quieter listening environment.  However, the pfe112 will block a decent amount of sound with the foam tips but still let you be aware of your surroundings, which can be nice in some cases.  Overall, I'd call it average isolation.

2) No amp
I am not gonna use any amp

The pfe112 sounds excellent with absolutely no additional amp.  Straight from my ipod it sounds extremely close to the quality from my c5 amp.  Other headphones improve more with the amp, but the pfe112 are very efficient compared to the er4s for example and don't show "that" much improvement with the amp.  However, I believe every earphone will improve with a good amp from something like an ipod.  Not drastically, but always at least a small amount in terms of spaciality and apparent resolution of detail.  But without an amp it's one of the best sounding and doesn't really need one.

3) filters
Do i need to buy filters?

a) That would be added cost and
b) Are they still being in production now that phonak is dead?

You don't need to buy filters.  It comes with two grey and two black I believe (sets).  From what I understand, the filters in the pfe are designed for sound modification and not as much as a sanitation filter.  While I'm sure it does prevent things from getting into the set, and theoretically might get clogged at some point, I would say that's true of any filter out there.  I can't guarantee this, but I don't see them needing to be replaced for a very long time if ever.  And if they do you have one extra set of each color included.  If you're worried you can buy them right now for cheap while they are made.  You can probably even just clean them yourself.  They don't appear to be as fragile as the er4s filters so they might be cleanable.

Hope that helps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back