Multi-IEM comparison: Vsonic GR07, Ultimate Ears UE700, TDK BA200, Etymotic Research HF5 and Audeo PFE 112
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #31 of 178
I want the PFE112 with more bass.  Why is that so hard? lol.  Just add a sub bass driver and make a pfe 113. lol  I'd pay $250 for it.

I'm having a hard time getting past a few things.  There is an odd boost in a certain treble frequency that makes drum cymbals sound odd.  They just sound wrong.  Like they're not metal.  There is also a strange effect on noise in tracks.  It almost sounds like metallic garble exists in the noise.  I know this isn't what it's supposed to sound like.  I'd almost compare it to the digital artifacts from lossly audio compression, but it's not really the same.  It's more like the noise hear hear sounds more metallic in nature.

There is more sibilance than the pfe 112, but it's not that bad, but it's there and that bugs me. ha.  The biggest issue i'm having is that they seem sort of dark with a treble boost.  it almost sounds like the treble should be more flat and raised overall instead of the one frequency that is prevalent.   Fleetwood Mac cymbals almost pierce the ears.  THAT'S NOT RIGHT!.  How dare you tread on Mick's signature sound.

They still sound pretty good overall, but I love to focus on things in the instrumentation, and somethings are distracting like certain vocals or drums...  It takes the otherwise balanced sound and makes it hard to enjoy for me...  And I'd almost say they're too bassy...

I'll need to see if getting used to them will allow me to look past the flaws.  So far the pfe112, despite the lack of bass, seem the least amount of compromise...

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #32 of 178
Quote:
I want the PFE112 with more bass.  Why is that so hard? lol.  Just add a sub bass driver and make a pfe 113. lol  I'd pay $250 for it.

PFE232 for ya 
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #34 of 178
I just got a 2nd UE700 for a great price at Amazon, but will probably have to try out one of your two top runners. Thanks for the great review. Which would you recommend for classical?

Props for admitting to using Guitar Man for audio comparisons. :D

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #35 of 178
I feel like this endeavor is hopeless.  I think the XBA-3 are decent enough overall, but the treble isn't as good as the pfe AND I'm starting to dislike the bass.  They feel bloated in the low end a bit to me.  It masks the real distinct instrument separation and clarity sometimes.  I tried the ba200 again for a while, and while they seem extremely balanced, they also lack the super detail clarity and sound sort of lifeless (relatively).  Tried the gr07 again and they just sound the most unbalanced to me, again relatively.

So, I put my old ex85lp in again, and I know I'm going to get flack for this, but with the ipod's bass reducer setting turned on they are actually the closest thing to the pfe overall even still having more bass.  They lack the more perfect smoothness of the FR the pfe has, but relatively speaking the difference really isn't much more than any of the other differences I'm comparing.  Instrument separation is superb on the ex85 with bass reducer on.  It's a bit boosted in some high frequencies, but less the the earpods and possible even the fr07, just a different frequency range.

They sound a lot drier than the rest, perhaps do to a slight dip in mids, i'm not sure.  But they are noticeably drier, which isn't really a bad thing.  I'm starting to think if I keep one it is going to be the pfe, but then i think is the small difference between the pfe and the ex95lp with bass reduction worth $170?  I'm truly shocked how good they sound eq'd.  The pfe don't eq well with bass boosting adjustments, so that isn't an option.  I don't know anymore.  I really wish they were all slightly more "this" or "that".  I probably sound too picky, but I honestly can't listen to any of them consistently and find myself enjoying the music.  My attention is always drawn to the flaws.  But they each seem so close having just one major flaw.

ba200, lacking musicality and highs
gr07 having sibilance and odd tonal curves
pfe lacking bass
xba-3 too bassy and not the best highs

what is an audiophile to do?  should i just get over the ear headphones and deal with the cheaper buds out of the house?  that starts a whole new search.  ugh. but if it is easier to find what i'm looking for over the ear it might be worth it... unless anyone knows that final IEM that is just right for me....

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #37 of 178
Quote:
I just got a 2nd UE700 for a great price at Amazon, but will probably have to try out one of your two top runners. Thanks for the great review. Which would you recommend for classical?

For classical I would say pfe112 and ba200...  The ue700 is great for the price though...

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 178
Would the EPH-100 or RE 262 make the test environment, maybe those would yield that missing bass. Did you try throwing the x10 in there for fun?

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #39 of 178
Quote:
Would the EPH-100 or RE 262 make the test environment, maybe those would yield that missing bass. Did you try throwing the x10 in there for fun?

What is the x10?  I haven't got those two.  The xba-3 is too much bass, the others either decent or too little...  Seeing how much i like the pfe i'd say highs are more important, but at least a decent bass would be desired...

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #40 of 178
What is the x10?  I haven't got those two.  The xba-3 is too much bass, the others either decent or too little...
Klipsch image X10, usually around $130. Heard the Yamaha EPH-100 has a great bass signature but may not be as clear and spacial as you are looking for.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #41 of 178
Are there any other IEMs with really accurate and high extended treble?  I listen to every song I have and the pfe 112 just sounds so good other than the bass lacking a bit.  I can listen to something like Sara by Fleetwood Mac and the plucked instruments at the beginning just sound incredible.  None of the other sets have the depth and realism of the treble.  I hate that the ipod doesn't have a custom eq.  Even then, I'd still prefer the headphones to be the flatness i want without eq.

What signature are the hifimans?  And assuming I decide to go full size headphones, are there any models anyone can think of that would be to my tastes for under $200?

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #42 of 178
Oh my... I REALLLLLY hope I just hit the jackpot.  I had moved from the medium tips to the small tips because i felt like the medium tips were uncomfortable, but the small ones didn't stay in my ears well.  So I figured I'd try the large ones for the heck of it.  They COMPLETELY change the tone of the XBA-3.  The highs are smoother and the bass is less by half (which is good).  I think I was probably putting the medium tips so far in my ear the bass was increasing twofold.  The large tips don't allow deep insertion, but they do stay in my ears.  The bass is definitely good and sub sonic richness, but it is more balanced now... i'm gonna listen in bed now and i'll report tomorrow...

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #44 of 178
OMG everything sounds so much better. haha.  songs just sound more balanced now.  why didn't you tell me to use the large tips :wink: lmao...  i'm really going now... gotta get used to them and see what i think now...

Yeah, the large tips on the xba3's sound awesome to me also :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back