MS-Proi's vs RS1i's
Mar 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pic Phil mentioned is only boutique hifi though, such stuff isn't compulsory under sonic prosperties.

And the basic necessary mods for 1000 or Ulti aren't minor tweaks, but are quite significant alterations to the sound. I would not be surprised for someone to dislike the MS1, but love the MS1000...

The MSPRO are at the top of my wish list, and so I am also interested in any more comparisons vs RS1/RS1i. The review that was linked is intriguing because it states that the MSPRO's midbass is less bloated than RS1, which I thought would have been opposite since I thought the Alessandro line in general was meant to have more bass with less treble than Grado counterparts (and I have always assumed that "more" did not also mean "better")...

I am also keen to know what, if any, improvement in sound was made between MSPRO and MSPROi.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #32 of 101
Good luck finding someone who has heard both
wink.gif

Anyway what could be different bar the cable? The MS Pros were always button less.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #33 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really strange how unpopular the mspro is given how fantastic they sound from almost every review. Anything that tames grados is a good thing IMO
biggrin.gif

Simply put, they are too expensive. They offer you "only" a K701/DT880'600 quality level for an almost HD800/T1 price tag, and the build quality is questionable.

Their right to exist is that they have beef & emotion in difference to those competitors, but also don't fall into the oh-yeah-oh-babe extreme like most Grados or ATs.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 101
Yep, the "better" Grados share the same suboptimal price/performance ratio IMO.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #36 of 101
Quote:

Jahn was wrong. I'd say MS2i and MS Pro have identical technical abilities, but the MS2i was rednecked and ultrasoned severely.
icon10.gif

waahahaha what do you mean by rednecked and ultrasoned... boomin bass and sizzling highs?

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #37 of 101
Quote:

It's really strange how unpopular the mspro is given how fantastic they sound from almost every review. Anything that tames grados is a good thing IMO
biggrin.gif

I'd still like to see a comparo between the original vintage RS1 and the msPRO

I can't help but suspect the popularity of RS1 has more to do with the predominance of rockers in these forum, rather than any intrisic inferiority of the Pro.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Simply put, they are too expensive. They offer you "only" a K701/DT880'600 quality level for an almost HD800/T1 price tag, and the build quality is questionable.

Their right to exist is that they have beef & emotion in difference to those competitors, but also don't fall into the oh-yeah-oh-babe extreme like most Grados or ATs.

eek.gif
I'm on the verge of twisting my brain inside out, but I still don't get what you're trying to say here Nickchen (specially the 2nd paragraph)
confused.gif
. Could you please rephrase this w/o going all "scientific" on us again?
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #39 of 101
Hi Racio,
I guess he is trying to say that they are on the same technical level of refinement as the headphones he mentioned but the edge they have is that they have more emotion in the way they present the music.

Nickchen,
About the oh yeah -oh babe thing. Do you mean colored and exciting when you say that?

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #40 of 101
Quote:

Yep, the "better" Grados share the same suboptimal price/performance ratio IMO.

but the RS1 is wildly popular, so if that's true it still doesn't explain why the mspro is so unpopular.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #41 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Racio,
I guess he is trying to say that they are on the same technical level of refinement as the headphones he mentioned but the edge they have is that they have more emotion in the way they present the music.

Nickchen,
About the oh yeah -oh babe thing. Do you mean colored and exciting when you say that?

Hey Don, what actually got me flustered is his "oh-yeah-oh-babe" comment, I can't help but draw a totally different picture in my mind that has absolutely nothing to do with headphones.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #42 of 101
Its just like my earlier question to Nickchen when he used the terms "Rednecked and Ultrasoned"

hehehe ooooohhhh baby redneck cans
biggrin.gif

Just doesn't sound right....

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #43 of 101
Quote:

but the RS1 is wildly popular, so if that's true it still doesn't explain why the mspro is so unpopular.

My personal take on this is that I notice most RS1 owners actually upgraded from the lower end line of Grado's, which are not only more popular and widely accepted, they're also more easily obtainable than Alessandro's lower ends (just check the trade forum).

And if your already accustomed to the Grado house sound (read:"colorations", which I find what the typical Grado fans yearn for), the most natural progression then is the RS1. This makes the MSPros run somewhat under the radar, and often times, most head-fiers who only take notice of the MSPros are those who're coming from other brands (Audio Technica in my case). Just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #44 of 101
Quote:

Its just like my earlier question to Nickchen when he used the terms "Rednecked and Ultrasoned"

hehehe ooooohhhh baby redneck cans
biggrin.gif

Just doesn't sound right....

hahaha!
gs1000.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #45 of 101
Quote:

waahahaha what do you mean by rednecked and ultrasoned... boomin bass and sizzling highs?

Something like that, although the Grado bass isn't an issue for me personally, rather that peak in the upper registers that makes electric guitars sound so sweet (for the record: my music is 90% instrumental with hardly any guitar usage).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Racio
Hey Don, what actually got me flustered is his "oh-yeah-oh-babe" comment, I can't help but draw a totally different picture in my mind that has absolutely nothing to do with headphones.

tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racio
If your already accustomed to the Grado house sound (read:"colorations", which I find what the typical Grado fans yearn for), the most natural progression then is the RS1. This makes the MSPros run somewhat under the radar, and often times, most head-fiers who only take notice of the MSPros are those who're coming from other brands (Audio Technica in my case)

That nails it perfectly down IMO. I've come from the teutonic section (Beyer, AKG) and wanted to keep those sonic prosperties at least roughly, but with more tiptoeing, that is my personal audio nirwana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back