**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #661 of 3,203
  I'm sorry to go off-topic for a post, but I just wanted to address a couple of posts that were pointed out to me:

The closed Audeze has not been scrapped--it is still very much a go.

Huh? Here's the thread I posted about it, after my one session with the only version of it I've heard:

Based on what I heard, I'm eagerly awaiting the closed Audeze, and will order one the moment the opportunity to do so opens up.

Are you a fact-checker for The Onion?  I keed, I keed.  
tongue.gif

Okay, with that, back on topic.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #669 of 3,203
Quote:
Mad dog vs HD650 ?

Very complimentary.  One is open, one is closed.  Similar sound signature, though the Mad Dogs are a bit more engaging, a bit more PRAT (which boils down to "makes my foot tap" to me), while the HD650's have a bit more breadth to the sound stage, are a bit more polite.  Both are similar, both can be listened to for hours, both are great headphones.  I own both, and plan to keep both.  If one had to go, it would be the HD650, though more because I need closed headphones, and less that it is "worse" in any way.  That said, I prefer the Mad Dog by a bit, and they get the most head time by far.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #670 of 3,203
Quote:
The 650 is more of a complementary hp to the MD. They are pretty different. 

Quote:

Quote:
Very complimentary.  One is open, one is closed.  Similar sound signature, though the Mad Dogs are a bit more engaging, a bit more PRAT (which boils down to "makes my foot tap" to me), while the HD650's have a bit more breadth to the sound stage, are a bit more polite.  Both are similar, both can be listened to for hours, both are great headphones.  I own both, and plan to keep both.  If one had to go, it would be the HD650, though more because I need closed headphones, and less that it is "worse" in any way.  That said, I prefer the Mad Dog by a bit, and they get the most head time by far.

LOL!
Couldn't be more different answers here!
Matt and Greed say they are different.
aamefford says they sound similar...

Based on the HD600s, I would actually tilt to the "similar" sound camp... but haven't heard the HD650s so I wont say anything... :p

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #671 of 3,203
Quote:

As we can see.  Anything can be compared.  Great job aamefford.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #672 of 3,203
The two phones I've got are the HD650s and now the MDs. I love the 650s for their quick and clear feel. IMO, anything acoustic sounds great; add vocals and the cans shine. Although they aren't angled, I prefer their soundstage to many phones that are angled. I like the 650s in that they offer and airy top end but don't skimp on the bass (I'm looking at you, HD598s).

I got the MDs because I require a portable headphone that seals, doesn't slide off my head, and... well, sounds good. I've only had the dogs for a day but I'd say they compliment the 650s well. By no means a portable 650 but they are satisfying my soundstage needs. I'm sure that the more time I spend with them, the more I will discover their own unique musical qualities.

But holy hell, Elton John hasn't sounded this good in a while!

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #673 of 3,203
The two phones I've got are the HD650s and now the MDs. I love the 650s for their quick and clear feel. IMO, anything acoustic sounds great; add vocals and the cans shine. Although they aren't angled, I prefer their soundstage to many phones that are angled. I like the 650s in that they offer and airy top end but don't skimp on the bass

Anything an ounce less clear and quick than HD650 would be straight out bad.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #674 of 3,203
Quote:

Well.... That's how I hear them anyway....
Quote:

LOL!
Couldn't be more different answers here!
Matt and Greed say they are different.
aamefford says they sound similar...

Based on the HD600s, I would actually tilt to the "similar" sound camp... but haven't heard the HD650s so I wont say anything... :p

Our differences in hearing never ceases to amaze and amuse me.  One really has to listen to headphones to know if they will like them.  This is always fun to me.
Quote:

As we can see.  Anything can be compared.  Great job aamefford.

Not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not.  If I had an M6 to go with my crappy old PT cruiser, I'd be comparing them as well...  If it was tongue in cheek, no offense taken, my skin is quite thick.  If not, thank you.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back