MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 4, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,941 of 5,796
Never heard of Madelaine Peyroux, however am enjoying the music now I'm trying it! :)
Sounds like she will be added to my growing list of top female vocalists. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,942 of 5,796
  Never heard of Madelaine Peyroux, however am enjoying the music now I'm trying it! :)
Sounds like she will be added to my growing list of top female vocalists. 

MP is very good. I have been listening to her for years. Then getting to hear her perform live took it to the next level for me. Her new album is one of the better quality recordings that I've heard in the last several years. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,946 of 5,796
One thing about this upgrade...it's the first time I've been looking forward to xmas in years as Dan's Christmas Earphone Elves tinker with the magic hammers and glue...

I hope it comes with a train set and a GI Joe...:laughing:

How the Uk's Royal Mail will get it down the Chimney I don't know...

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2,947 of 5,796
One thing about this upgrade...it's the first time I've been looking forward to xmas in years as Dan's Christmas Earphone Elves tinker with the magic hammers and glue...

I hope it comes with a train set and a GI Joe...:laughing:

How the Uk's Royal Mail will get it down the Chimney I don't know...

Lets just say, I hope you have home insurance :wink:

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,948 of 5,796
I had those headphones , the ether flows open , i have to say that they are great. Unfortunately to my taste, there are too crispy, too bright  on the heighs , it was too much for me. And i m not for the dark sounds , absoulutely not. But for those headphones, at this price range, they should be able to make them smoother and bringing some more precision. I have to say i came from the HD800S, i ve had for several months, great cans, but ...too thin for my taste. If Mrspeakers would find a solution for the crispy sound, then, we can say that they will become the number ones , as far as i m concerned. I heard that the closed back are phenomenal, maybe it would be suitable to go on that direction.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #2,949 of 5,796
I had those headphones , the ether flows open , i have to say that they are great. Unfortunately to my taste, there are too crispy, too bright  on the heighs , it was too much for me. And i m not for the dark sounds , absoulutely not. But for those headphones, at this price range, they should be able to make them smoother and bringing some more precision. I have to say i came from the HD800S, i ve had for several months, great cans, but ...too thin for my taste. If Mrspeakers would find a solution for the crispy sound, then, we can say that they will become the number ones , as far as i m concerned. I heard that the closed back are phenomenal, maybe it would be suitable to go on that direction.

You could try using the Ether 1.1 tuning kit. Reported by another user to cut the treble a bit. I am going to try it when I get my open Ether Flows back in a couple of week.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,950 of 5,796
Thanks .May be that the drivers required some time , some burn in , in order to work properly. I will look to the focals personally, or may be the hifimans. i ll have to give a try. I ll see what the closeb ether c flows give in term of sound quality as i need a closed one also.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #2,951 of 5,796

Larent,
Next month Mr Speakers will be selling an alternative ear pad that Dan said made the headphone darker sounding; but, with a bigger soundstage.  Here are Dan's quotes on the pads from last week:

Our next ear pads will be available in January (in advance of the electrostatic headphone) they are the electrostatic headphone pads with a spacious, round hole.  We tested these out with lots of experienced listeners and many found it to be a very nice experience, particularly an even larger soundstage.  For those who like experimenting with pads to tune the sound the pads should be entertaining.  

Quote:

It does change the sound a little, reducing upper midrange/lower treble, for people who like a little darker mids it seems to click.  That's also part of the soundstage change, it's a bit like moving a few rows back from the stock pads POV.  

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2,952 of 5,796

I certainly don't find the Flow highs harsh. For me the highs on the Flow C are smooth and mellow yet still lots of detail and resolution. I upsample to DSD 256 however and am able to adjust volume on the DAC to just below clipping for my tube amp.  I think all this stuff depends so much on your ears and your stack.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,953 of 5,796
Thanks mates. I just want to stress that these are very good headphones. I was testing the open flows ones. Not the C flows. These should be, may be, the right direction to go if i have the opportunity to test them anyway. But again, u re right when u say it depends on the ear sensitivity.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,954 of 5,796

Larent,
Next month Mr Speakers will be selling an alternative ear pad that Dan said made the headphone darker sounding; but, with a bigger soundstage.  Here are Dan's quotes on the pads from last week:

I will be keen for a set of those.

Update on the filter I added: It is removed. Yes it darkened the HP and lowered the treble. However it ruined sound scope and instrument separation. Flow is better without the filters.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,955 of 5,796

I will be keen for a set of those.

Update on the filter I added: It is removed. Yes it darkened the HP and lowered the treble. However it ruined sound scope and instrument separation. Flow is better without the filters.

Well maybe the new pads will be more to your liking. Probably getting a set myself when they come out for similar reasons as you are looking for, we can compare notes :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back