MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 6, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,971 of 5,796

It's harder than it looks. I suggest getting someone to help. I did.

You have to keep both drivers away from each other. Or else they bang into each other and scratch. So one does that. The other installs the pads. Once on you can rotate the pads around until they align each other.

I have taken my pads off by myself many many time for both the Ether C and the Ether Flow. The trick to insuring the drivers don't bang each other is simply how you hold the headphones. Here are some pics on how I hold them, when removing the pads. Notice I always keep the drivers separated by the back of my hand / arm. 

Putting them on can be a little more tricky but the same idea holds true.. always separate the two drivers with the back of your hand/arm. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,972 of 5,796
I ended up buying some Ether Flows while waiting to upgrade my C's. While waiting for the order to arrive, I second-guessed myself as foolish. The original C's are very nice. 
Well, I am happy to report that the Flows are fantastic. I've had them for nearly a month now. They play nice with a wide range of amplification and sources. Best of all, the comfort is such that I'll now have no reservations parting with my LCD-3's. Bye bye neck pain! This headphone is versatile enough that I'll probably end up clearing out a lot of the stockpile of cans I keep for certain music types and situations.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,973 of 5,796

I have taken my pads off by myself many many time for both the Ether C and the Ether Flow. The trick to insuring the drivers don't bang each other is simply how you hold the headphones. Here are some pics on how I hold them, when removing the pads. Notice I always keep the drivers separated by the back of my hand / arm. 

Putting them on can be a little more tricky but the same idea holds true.. always separate the two drivers with the back of your hand/arm. 

Exactly. That's why I got help. A second set of hands just to keep the drivers from banging. Mine did bang once and put a scratch on the grill. I touched it up with a little gloss paint. Not noticeable.
  I ended up buying some Ether Flows while waiting to upgrade my C's. While waiting for the order to arrive, I second-guessed myself as foolish. The original C's are very nice. 
Well, I am happy to report that the Flows are fantastic. I've had them for nearly a month now. They play nice with a wide range of amplification and sources. Best of all, the comfort is such that I'll now have no reservations parting with my LCD-3's. Bye bye neck pain! This headphone is versatile enough that I'll probably end up clearing out a lot of the stockpile of cans I keep for certain music types and situations.

My LCD-3's went on sale immediately as well. They had their day. That day is gone.
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2,974 of 5,796

Exactly. That's why I got help. A second set of hands just to keep the drivers from banging. Mine did bang once and put a scratch on the grill. I touched it up with a little gloss paint. Not noticeable.

My LCD-3's went on sale immediately as well. They had their day. That day is gone.
wink.gif

The flow is different not better than the LCD-3's which I think are classics....

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2,975 of 5,796
The flow is different not better than the LCD-3's which I think are classics....

They sounded so last decade when listening to them side by side next to Flow. The big things were soundstage and instrument separation sounded a mess on the LCD-3's. Everything was cleaner on the Flows.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2,976 of 5,796

I did the same thing. I am beginning to wonder if upgrading the Cs to Flow is a good idea. They are great as is. and different from the Flows. I guess I will mull it over as I wait my time for Flow upgrade. In the mean time I have done cable upgrades on my two  headphone systems. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,977 of 5,796
They sounded so last decade when listening to them side by side next to Flow. The big things were soundstage and instrument separation sounded a mess on the LCD-3's. Everything was cleaner on the Flows.

I own the flow's...used to own the 3's and currently own the LCD-4 which I think is the best HP available.....I like the flow and think it is extremely comfortable and a fine HP....I do not however think they are a cut above the 3's especially when one can grab a used 3 for close to 1000 bucks.....both great options

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #2,978 of 5,796
I own the flow's...used to own the 3's and currently own the LCD-4 which I think is the best HP available.....I like the flow and think it is extremely comfortable and a fine HP....I do not however think they are a cut above the 3's especially when one can grab a used 3 for close to 1000 bucks.....both great options

You say that the used price is good but the thing that would really put me off used is trying to work out what you were actually buying with all the ninja revisions they do... Such poor business practices :rolleyes:

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #2,979 of 5,796
You say that the used price is good but the thing that would really put me off used is trying to work out what you were actually buying with all the ninja revisions they do... Such poor business practices
rolleyes.gif

Totally agree, a lot of sellers can't even really tell you which version they have. They just know when and where they bought it from and can't guarantee which revision it is. They really dislike putting new names on small revisions.

That's one thing I can appreciate about Mr Speakers. Ppl sometimes get urked by the 1.1 but even a super small revision like that needs to be fully disclosed.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,981 of 5,796
Will they sound good with mojo?

Oh yes, I'm listening to the ETHER Flow and the Mojo right now. Very good combo. I believe I mentioned it to you in a PM as well. Search through the thread and you'll see many other users happy with the combo, including the creator of the ETHER Flow.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814156/mrspeakers-ether-flow-and-ether-c-flow-inspired-by-electrostatic-headphones/2145#post_12885288

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #2,982 of 5,796
Oh yes, I'm listening to the ETHER Flow and the Mojo right now. Very good combo. I believe I mentioned it to you in a PM as well. Search through the thread and you'll see many other users happy with the combo, including the creator of the ETHER Flow.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814156/mrspeakers-ether-flow-and-ether-c-flow-inspired-by-electrostatic-headphones/2145#post_12885288
have you gamed in them?

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #2,983 of 5,796
Dec 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,984 of 5,796
Too soon to say much, but I am extremely pleased with my new Ether Flows. I kinda knew I would like them from my auditions. Honestly, they just sound very "real" to me. To try and explain that, I usually lean toward darker sounding gear, and I'm usually quickly put off by very bright gear. But brighter highs do help bring out the realism, the you are there in the studio realism. Anywhoo, my overriding first impression (at home and not auditioning now) is that next level of realism that I always craved, brought out through detail and separation, while still being pleasant to listen to. I feel that I have got quite lucky here. In the past searches I found revealing cans to be too thin or bright or clinical, bass heavy cans too thick or muddied, quick cans to be too aggressive or in your face, it is almost embarrassing how fast some really well regarded headphones came off my noggin. I worried that maybe I just wasn't a headphone guy. My main stereo system always killed whatever cans I had on hand. But so far these headphones seem to really fit the bill. I should include that my auditioning was via my QP1R and a Kensie amp, and at home I am using my Liquid Carbon V2 and Garage 1217 Ember II loaded with dual Zenith 6J5G. Not harsh gear at all.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #2,985 of 5,796
  Too soon to say much, but I am extremely pleased with my new Ether Flows. I kinda knew I would like them from my auditions. Honestly, they just sound very "real" to me. To try and explain that, I usually lean toward darker sounding gear, and I'm usually quickly put off by very bright gear. But brighter highs do help bring out the realism, the you are there in the studio realism. Anywhoo, my overriding first impression (at home and not auditioning now) is that next level of realism that I always craved, brought out through detail and separation, while still being pleasant to listen to. I feel that I have got quite lucky here. In the past searches I found revealing cans to be too thin or bright or clinical, bass heavy cans too thick or muddied, quick cans to be too aggressive or in your face, it is almost embarrassing how fast some really well regarded headphones came off my noggin. I worried that maybe I just wasn't a headphone guy. My main stereo system always killed whatever cans I had on hand. But so far these headphones seem to really fit the bill. I should include that my auditioning was via my QP1R and a Kensie amp, and at home I am using my Liquid Carbon V2 and Garage 1217 Ember II loaded with dual Zenith 6J5G. Not harsh gear at all.

The LC, with just a little bit of warmth, is a very good match with the Flows!  Using Hugo as the DAC, and it's a great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back