MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 3, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,926 of 5,796
I'm listening to Alison Krauss. Not sure what song. It was one of hers where she was doing her best.

I'm a big fan of Alison and have all her albums. I usually select her songs and play randomly.

Well she does have a beautiful voice. I wonder how much is Alison and how much was the headphones.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure she could make me cry on other headphones
beyersmile.png

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,927 of 5,796
Alison fans should check out Madelaine Peyroux's The Blue Room...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,928 of 5,796
If you don't need a closed headphone and you game a lot then I would go with open. I went with closed because I hate how open headphones sound like mini speakers since they leak so much and I listen to a lot of electronica/dance. Also I absolutely love how they have carbon fiber on them.

For gaming and metal though im sure the Flow would be better for you but I'm only guessing since mine come in a couple of days from now.

I'm sure someone here can confirm/deny this.

I would suggest to listen to focal elear cheaper, punchier and 5 years garantee

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,929 of 5,796

That one is nice. She was in Atlanta just a few weeks ago and my wife and I were able to see her perform a live set in a small venue. It was a really an enjoyable evening. While I like Blue Room, the new release, Secular Hymns, is outstanding. Try the 24/96 for some audiophile goodness. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #2,930 of 5,796

I'm listening to Alison Krauss. Not sure what song. It was one of hers where she was doing her best.

I'm a big fan of Alison and have all her albums. I usually select her songs and play randomly.

Never listened to her before but damn that voice! Really good backing music and nicely mastered which is always a plus. Just spent 2 hours listening and feeling super relaxed now :D

Tempted to copy you as well and buy some Ether 1.1 foam to try in my Flows as a tad more bass would be good for me personally. I don't suppose you can comment on noticing any negative effects of using the foam like shrinking the soundstage or anything like that?

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2,931 of 5,796
She has never appreciated the hobby. However she tolerates and understands that it's my thing. She has allowed me to build this up over the years:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Badas

She just came back in with a hot chocolate and took a second listen. Her second comment was "I don't know what they are worth and what you paid for them, however they are worth every penny. Just simply lovely". Then she got up and walked out.
biggrin.gif

Love all those Criterions. At one point I had like 1-4xx on DVD.

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #2,932 of 5,796

That one is nice. She was in Atlanta just a few weeks ago and my wife and I were able to see her perform a live set in a small venue. It was a really an enjoyable evening. While I like Blue Room, the new release, Secular Hymns, is outstanding. Try the 24/96 for some audiophile goodness. 

+1 on Secular Hymns.  Outstanding!

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #2,933 of 5,796
Love all those Criterions. At one point I had like 1-4xx on DVD.

Yeah! I enjoy most of my Criterions, Eureka and BFI blu-rays.

I can't find my jaw... That is a dream setup you have there! :eek:

Thanks. Hobby gone mad.

I heard that [COLOR=333333]Violectric V281 with the Ether C and Ether Flow at a meet this last summer..[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Absolutely KILLER [/COLOR]combo!

That's what I was using. Not the tube amp. I think the V281 is the first SS amp that beats tube amps in tube sound quality.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,934 of 5,796
Well she does have a beautiful voice. I wonder how much is Alison and how much was the headphones.:D I'm sure she could make me cry on other headphones :beyersmile:

Definitely HP's. We are both serious Alison Krauss listeners. She has heard many times before. This is the first time tech made her react that way. All day today she's been talking about a second pair.

Thanks. I will order tomorrow.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,936 of 5,796
For years knock on her was she copied BH's voicings. Others just heard it as respectful homage to LD. Good to see MP has developed her own niche. While big fan of vocal Jazz from golden age of great American songbook singers, also enjoy song stylists like CW, PB and HC who sing wide range of material outside one specific genre while retaining a Jazz styling. As for the guy Jazz crooners, checkout LJS. No one sang quite like him. Love abbreviations. Keeps the mind active.

I could never listen to MP because of the way she mimicked Billie Holiday's phrasing. If her latest effort moves away from that, I'll have to check it out. Who is LJS? (And I only go for abbreviations after someone has been mentioned by name in a prior post, sorry :wink:)

On another subject, I used to be amused by the periodic comments by listeners who declare Ethers (any model) to be bright without properly burning them in. These things really do change and improve. And then recently I auditioned the Focal Elear at a reputable competitor of mine who carries them. I was warned that they had not been broken in enough but listened anyway. Driven by a very good DAC and amp I am very familiar with, I thought the Elear sounded awful, with hashy muddled highs. It really put me off them. Now, As a seasoned head-fi'er know I need to go back after they are broken in and give them another chance, but... Now I see how some forum members form an opinion and stick with them even when it is unfair (like my experience with the Elear, or someone who listens only on a noisy show floor, or with electronics or even music they are not familiar with). There is no way I would go over to the Elear forum and declare 'These things stink!' (Or better yet, 'These things stink! Have you tried the HD650?' LOL)

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,937 of 5,796
 "I only go for abbreviations after someone has been mentioned by name in a prior post"
Point taken JerseyD. Revised my post.
Expressions I dislike: "LOL", and directed to two or more women: "you guys." The sooner these two retired to rubbish heap of human expression the better. Rejoiced that "groovy" and "dude" from my generation have mostly faded away, although Jeff Bridges as "The Dude" brought it back into vogue for a while.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,938 of 5,796

My mother would love this post, she rails against being addressed as a guy. I don't agree with her mind you, she over-reacts. At a restaurant the waitress said hey guys what can I get you and my mother launched into a lecture about how she wasn't a guy. Mothers, you just have to love them.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,939 of 5,796
  My mother would love this post, she rails against being addressed as a guy. I don't agree with her mind you, she over-reacts. At a restaurant the waitress said hey guys what can I get you and my mother launched into a lecture about how she wasn't a guy. Mothers, you just have to love them.

LOL.  Oops, sorry.
My mother would agree, bless her heart.  She was tougher than most guys I know to this day.  Thanks for the thought.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,940 of 5,796

Just ordered this CD.  I'm a big fan of Alison Krauss and the notes on this album are very interesting.  Info from the Amazon site...

"THE BLUE ROOM features Madeleine reinterpreting songs from Ray Charles seminal album MODERN SOUNDS IN COUNTRY & WESTERN MUSIC, as well as others from legendary artists such as Randy Newman and Leonard Cohen, whose legacies are herein enveloped into a similar melting pot of the variety of American popular song.  Released in the summer of 1962, MODERN SOUNDS was a daring album for Charles as it broke the mold of what was expected from him, and in turn, truly represented artistic freedom something that clearly inspires Peyrouxs album THE BLUE ROOM."

Thanks for the tip!

Best -
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back