MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 2, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,897 of 5,796
For loud listening I can be of much help. I usually listen at around 80-85 dB and at that level the sound leakage is not really noticeable at all. In a quiet office environment I suggest not risking hearing damage by long term loud listening, but that's my opinion.

How do you determine your dB? I've often wondered how loud I actually have it at. It's subjectively... prominent, but not super loud. A song or two that I especially like, I'll crank that right up, but sure long term loud listening is fatiguing.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,898 of 5,796

Only real issue I'm having is comfort. I have a big head. I'm a typical down under guy. See if someone can pick these lyrics.

He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
And he said
I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Yeah

Well that kinda describes me. I'm 6 foot 3 and big. Not fat. Big. I've always had problems geeting jeans etc. Legs are too big.
Problem is I have a big head and the clamping force is too strong. They dig in below my ears and hurt after a while. Does anyone else get this or is it just my boof head? :D

Also does anyone know how to stop those slide adjusters from moving? Mine keep slipping. Can that brace be moved to the sliders so the sliders don't move?

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s[/VIDEO]

Try tightening the screw on the slider. Careful not to strip it with your gorilla hands. :wink:

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,899 of 5,796
Ether C Flow as well with the Mojo?

I'm waiting for notification for the C Flow upgrade. I was referencing the ETHER Flow (open) and my ETHER C(1.1). Either way, they are the same driver and not too difficult to drive. Certainly a cake walk for the Mojo.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,900 of 5,796
Try tightening the screw on the slider. Careful not to strip it with your gorilla hands. :wink:

Ah! There is a screw on the slider. Thanks. I didn't know that. Thanks.:)

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,901 of 5,796
How do you determine your dB? I've often wondered how loud I actually have it at. It's subjectively... prominent, but not super loud. A song or two that I especially like, I'll crank that right up, but sure long term loud listening is fatiguing.

The best is to use a speaker level meter, but I use an app from my smartphone to at least get in the ballpark. The dB readings line up how they should for various sounds so it's good enough for me, but I am clearly aware it isn't a precision measuring tool.

Here I am 'measuring' the Utopia. I use a foam board with a cutout for the smartphone to block the earcup as it will give a different reading (louder) when the earcup is closed.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2,902 of 5,796

:confused: I've just checked. There is a screw to hold on the leather strap. Is that the one I should tighten?

The brace looks like it has tiny hex screws. So that might be able to be moved as well. Like a holder.

Just switched to the Flow from the Hawks. Damn the Flows are bright. Not use to these type of HP's. Is there pad changes that could tweak the high treble?

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,903 of 5,796
confused.gif
I've just checked. There is a screw to hold on the leather strap. Is that the one I should tighten?

The brace looks like it has tiny hex screws. So that might be able to be moved as well. Like a holder.

Just switched to the Flow from the Hawks. Damn the Flows are bright. Not use to these type of HP's. Is there pad changes that could tweak the high treble?

The screw on the leather strap, 1/4 turn at a time... 

If your Flows are new burn them in.  But they will always be brighter than the NH.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,904 of 5,796
The screw on the leather strap, 1/4 turn at a time... 

If your Flows are new burn them in.  But they will always be brighter than the NH.

Thanks. :gs1000smile:

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,905 of 5,796
confused.gif
I've just checked. There is a screw to hold on the leather strap. Is that the one I should tighten?

Your ears will need to acclimate, but even then you may need to do a slight parametric EQ cut.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,906 of 5,796
Don't know where the Mojo comment came from but I call BS. That little thing is a Monster. Notice it has two headphone jacks. I've run two planars at the same time on it a few times to deafening levels with no sweat.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,907 of 5,796
I found a Ether 1:1 tuning kit in my box of stuff. Little felt pad stuff.

Can I use them to lower the treble? Will it work? Any harm using on the Flow open?

I thought the tuning kit was for the Ether C. Mine is the Flow open.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,908 of 5,796
I found a Ether 1:1 tuning kit in my box of stuff. Little felt pad stuff.

Can I use them to lower the treble? Will it work? Any harm using on the Flow open?

I thought the tuning kit was for the Ether C. Mine is the Flow open.

Yes, it will dampen the highs and get you closer to the NH. Give it a whirl, it's an incredibly easy mod. :)

White is the strongest, then two black and then one black for attenuating the treble.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,909 of 5,796
Yes, it will dampen the highs and get you closer to the NH. Give it a whirl, it's an incredibly easy mod. :)

White is the strongest, then two black and then one black for attenuating the treble.

Yeah baby! :gs1000smile: Now we are talking.

I just added one black and I'm in heaven. :) Just took that edge away.

Sorry to be a pain. Feeling very newby here.

How do you remove the pads? I want to stick the filters between the drive and pads. The felt is a little irritable just tucked in from the outside.

You are worth your weight in gold on this site by the way.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,910 of 5,796
MrSpeaker lets people hear their prototype headphones at audio shows all over the world...
I liked it better with the lead-in crack you previously started it with; but I'm one in the more sarcastic the better camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back