MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #2,611 of 5,796
  I have ordered the C Flow with XLR connection to connect to my amp, but I am having second thoughts because this way I will not be able to use them with single ended DAC/amps like my Hugo.

I'm thinking to change my order (it has not shipped yet) to a SE connection instead, and order separately a decent balanced cable without spending a fortune.

Does anyone know exactly what type of connector is on the Ether?

Not sure what the connector is called, but just about any cable maker you buy from will offer a "mrspeakers alpha dog or ether" option when setting up your order.  Don't know if the connectors are unique to MrSpeakers.  Sounds like you will be using your headphones more often with an SE connection.  If not, you might consider getting a XLR to SE adapter for your balanced cable, as it would probably be cheaper than buying a separate balanced cable.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,614 of 5,796
I have ordered the C Flow with XLR connection to connect to my amp, but I am having second thoughts because this way I will not be able to use them with single ended DAC/amps like my Hugo.

I'm thinking to change my order (it has not shipped yet) to a SE connection instead, and order separately a decent balanced cable without spending a fortune.

Just get an XLR to 1/4" SE adapter. That way you can use it for either balanced or SE. Cheers

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,616 of 5,796
I agree with what the others said. Get XLR and then a SE adapter (personally would go for 3.5mm). You can go balanced to single ended but not vice versa so makes more sense to only have 1 cable and an adapter than 2 separate cables YMMV though :D

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,617 of 5,796
does anyone know if the flow upgrade programme has a deadline? i might not have the budget for the upgrade during this holiday season.

I don't think there is any deadline. Click on link below and look on the right hand side of the page and you will see the form that you will need to fill out.

MrSpeakers Upgrade for Ether and Ether C

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,618 of 5,796

I believe it's:Hirose 4 Pin x2

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,619 of 5,796

The most cost effective method is to use an XLR to 3.5mm adapter cable - XLR to 3.5mm Jack or XLR to 6.35mm adapter cable - XLR to 6.35mm Jack

Your Chord Hugo has both headphone jacks 3.5mm and 6.35mm so you could use either adapter. Oops, I have these 2 adapters but I see they are no longer available from this vendor but they are what you want. UPDATE: The cables are now available once again from this vendor on Amazon.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #2,621 of 5,796
Another way is to terminate your cable in 2.5 mm trrs and get adaptors (instead of adaptor cables) for them. IMO It makes everything more tidy as adaptors are short without any cable length

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #2,622 of 5,796
Another way is to terminate your cable in 2.5 mm trrs and get adaptors (instead of adaptor cables) for them. IMO It makes everything more tidy as adaptors are short without any cable length

Only problem with that is when you use adaptors instead of cables it tends to put more force into the connectors and considering how fragile 2.5mm and 3.5mm jack ports are already I feel that is just asking for trouble.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,623 of 5,796
Only problem with that is when you use adaptors instead of cables it tends to put more force into the connectors and considering how fragile 2.5mm and 3.5mm jack ports are already I feel that is just asking for trouble.

This is particularly true if you use something like a metal 1/4 to 1/8, that's a lot of cantilevered weight on a 1/8 jack. However, if you use a universal balanced plug and have adaptors with at least 6" of length you won't stress the jacks.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,624 of 5,796
This is particularly true if you use something like a metal 1/4 to 1/8, that's a lot of cantilevered weight on a 1/8 jack. However, if you use a universal balanced plug and have adaptors with at least 6" of length you won't stress the jacks.

Indeed, exactly what I have done with my Ether Flow cable. We can do impressions of the new Macbook Pro owners with our huge piles of adaptor cables hehe 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,625 of 5,796
I went the 2.5mm with adaptor route and I wouldn't do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back