MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 6, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,626 of 5,796
On my IEMs I go 2.5mm TRRS and for desktop full-size cans go with XLR. Cheers

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #2,627 of 5,796
Finally I decided to go for the XLR 4-pin termination and I bought a short XLR to 3.5mm stereo cable.
I don't mind having the short cable instead of an adaptor, besides, I recon I will be using balanced most of the time.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,629 of 5,796
This is particularly true if you use something like a metal 1/4 to 1/8, that's a lot of cantilevered weight on a 1/8 jack. However, if you use a universal balanced plug and have adaptors with at least 6" of length you won't stress the jacks.

Good point. For me though, my 2.5 to XLR, and 2.5 to 3.5 adaptors are always plugged in to my amp so weight won't be an issue

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,630 of 5,796
I've been using cable adapters of all sorts for 50 years and never had any problems.  Don't make mountains out of molehills. 
redface.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,631 of 5,796
  I've been using cable adapters of all sorts for 50 years and never had any problems.  Don't make mountains out of molehills. 
redface.gif

You are only speaking for yourself.  Dan has to take into account all his customers.  Like you I have all sorts of adapters and have never broken a thing in my life.  I have fixed many for other people though.  One guy I know at work has broken every socket and connector you can think of.  Almost all of the laptops he has owned has a broken charge socket and at least one broken USB.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2,632 of 5,796
The incredibly kind folks at MrSpeakers were gracious enough to host me at their offices today so I could have an extended audition of the Ether Flows and Ether C Flows.  I've updated my ginormous shoot out review with my impressions of the (very impressive) pair: http://www.head-fi.org/t/824351/adventures-of-2-channel-guy-diving-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end

It is remarkable how the new wave of TOTL headphones all vary in emphasis vs fundamentals.  The quality and design and execution is SO much better than even a couple years ago.  I can't wait to see where this innovation wave is going, and I'm super excited that there are folks like the team at MrSpeakers that are helping transform this industry (well done guys!).

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,633 of 5,796
  The incredibly kind folks at MrSpeakers were gracious enough to host me at their offices today so I could have an extended audition of the Ether Flows and Ether C Flows.  I've updated my ginormous shoot out review with my impressions of the (very impressive) pair: http://www.head-fi.org/t/824351/adventures-of-2-channel-guy-diving-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end

It is remarkable how the new wave of TOTL headphones all vary in emphasis vs fundamentals.  The quality and design and execution is SO much better than even a couple years ago.  I can't wait to see where this innovation wave is going, and I'm super excited that there are folks like the team at MrSpeakers that are helping transform this industry (well done guys!).

Did you get to play with the Electrostatic?

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,634 of 5,796

Did you get to play with the Electrostatic?

I really wish I could have, but unfortunately I did not.  I hope Dan and team bring them to the San Diego meet up in 3 weeks (I am very excited to hear where their innovation engine is going next!)  If I get a chance to get some time with them, I'll share impressions and comparisons here.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,635 of 5,796
Picked up my Ether Flow yesterday.
I cannot listen at the moment as I await other electronics.
However, after inspecting them with my eagle eyes I can confidently say they are beautifully made.
The finish is truly 1st class and the different materials used I think is a very well engineered design.
The blue sparkling paint is fantastic.
Oh, very important is the comfort. They are so light it's almost like nothing is on my head.
I have great pride in owning them.
Can't wait to start listening though.
Well done Dan and MrSpeakers :D:)

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,636 of 5,796
However, after inspecting them with my eagle eyes I can confidently say they are beautifully made.
The finish is truly 1st class and the different materials used I think is a very well engineered design.
Oh, very important is the comfort. They are so light it's almost like nothing is on my head.
Well done Dan and MrSpeakers
biggrin.gif
:)

Congrats!! Plug them into your phone or computer or home receiver to let them break in at least until your gear rolls in. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,637 of 5,796
I can't, 4 pin xlr termination ready for new head amp otherwise I would :wink:

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,638 of 5,796
https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRSL12/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1478710458&sr=8-4&keywords=4+pin+xlr+to+3.5mm

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,639 of 5,796
  https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRSL12/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1478710458&sr=8-4&keywords=4+pin+xlr+to+3.5mm

Exactly!

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,640 of 5,796
Well done Dan and MrSpeakers
biggrin.gif
:)

In the process of breaking in a new pair myself.  Very happy with the craftsmanship, weight, and overall finish.   Sonically we shall see.  So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back