MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,581 of 5,796

Dan can correct me if I'm wrong but the Ether 1.1 has a pretty broad bump in the midrange and the Flows sounded to me like they calm that a bit. It gives electric guitars great bite on the Ether but the same tones seem more "polite" on the Flow. This is where I find the Ether's I have a more "fun" sound but I think it is less correct to true reference. This is all to my ears of course, I could also just be crazy.
floatsmile.png

The general usage of "fun" for headphones is that there's more power on the bottom end; by focusing on midrange I think you're using "fun" in a non-standard way.

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,583 of 5,796
  The highs are smoother and more filled in with less of a peak, so it does create a sense of being less bright yet more present in the highs, at least to my ear.

I've had the pleasure of listening to both the Flow and the C Flow at several occasions and I agree completely. To my ears the C Flow sounds less bright and very smooth. It's a wonderful headphone - and one I aspire to own in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,584 of 5,796

So since nobody else jumped in to answer, I think the clear answer is the C Flow has better low level detail retrieval.  The highs are smoother and more filled in with less of a peak, so it does create a sense of being less bright yet more present in the highs, at least to my ear.  If others want to chime in, please do!

P.S. Don't you have a really beautiful production studio?  If so, share a photo?

Wrong one actually...Funny that there are two of us with the same name, age,  in tech and photog...  hehe. 

My deal is typically I run the EtherC dry as you tuned them.  Often, I find I will add a little bit of eq nice for a few genres but when going to acoustical, I like the stock delivery better since it muddies it a bit. (Fiio e12a iem bass switch is a good example of the boost I like sometimes). What has intrigued me is the bass boost that has been brought up in the conversion, but afraid of it thickening the sound too much. I'm a wee bit fearful of losing something in the upgrade though would welcome a boost. 

Thanks for the reply btw

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,586 of 5,796

Wrong one actually...Funny that there are two of us with the same name, age,  in tech and photog...  hehe. 

My deal is typically I run the EtherC dry as you tuned them.  Often, I find I will add a little bit of eq nice for a few genres but when going to acoustical, I like the stock delivery better since it muddies it a bit. (Fiio e12a iem bass switch is a good example of the boost I like sometimes). What has intrigued me is the bass boost that has been brought up in the conversion, but afraid of it thickening the sound too much. I'm a wee bit fearful of losing something in the upgrade though would welcome a boost. 

Thanks for the reply btw

I tired very, very hard to boost the bass without causing bloom in the lower midrange.  I think we did a pretty good job with this, to my ear the sound is hefty but not syrupy and pairs nicely with neutral solid state and most tube hybrid gear I've tried. I'm not super keen on the pairing with very warm tube amps or bright solid state.  Of course that's me and YMMV.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,587 of 5,796
I tired very, very hard to boost the bass without causing bloom in the lower midrange.  I think we did a pretty good job with this, to my ear the sound is hefty but not syrupy and pairs nicely with neutral solid state and most tube hybrid gear I've tried. I'm not super keen on the pairing with very warm tube amps or bright solid state.  Of course that's me and YMMV.

I assume you have tried them with Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0? How does the pairing sound?

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #2,589 of 5,796
I assume you have tried them with Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon 2.0? How does the pairing sound?

I've listened to the C Flows with both the LC2 and a Schiit Jotunheim, listening with the Jotunheim now while I wait for the LC2 to come back from Cavalli after a small repair. The LC2 is slightly warmer, with fuller bodied low to midrange, but the Jotunheim is a bit more accurate mid-to-high. I've not decided which I prefer, they fit different music and recording styles. My own taste leans slightly to the drier Jotunheim, but I could be happy with either. Both do a great job with the C Flows, the LC2 better in high gain, the Jotunheim in low gain. DAC is a Bifrost Multibit fed Redbook and hires FLAC through a Sonore microRendu with an UpTone LPS-1 power supply.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #2,590 of 5,796
Well I'm a non-standard kinda guy :wink:

Aren't we all :p but yeah that is what confused me as I associate the word fun with more bass. I guess though the fun factor is very subjective as it depends on what frequency range you prefer :wink:

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,591 of 5,796

Love it, we got to enjoy it at the last two shows.  The Spark is sounding awesome too...

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,592 of 5,796
I've heard my C's (not flows) from my Cavalli Liquid Crimson, Liquid Carbon first gen, a Chord Mojo, QP1R, Liquid Gold and a few others.

It will reflect the best the amp can do, and really requires only a modest amp. QP1R and Mojo are great with them, and the big amps sound wonderful but not a lot of volume travel. I'd say an iPhone or an AK100II are not the best on their own. I use both regularly with a Mojo and both are great with the C's from the Mojo.

I have heard the C flows at length side by side with my non flows, Liquid Crimson and Mojo. As far as response from those two amps, both are very similar and my above comments extrapolate to the flows.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,593 of 5,796
I've heard my C's (not flows) from my Cavalli Liquid Crimson, Liquid Carbon first gen, a Chord Mojo, QP1R, Liquid Gold and a few others.

It will reflect the best the amp can do, and really requires only a modest amp. QP1R and Mojo are great with them, and the big amps sound wonderful but not a lot of volume travel. I'd say an iPhone or an AK100II are not the best on their own. I use both regularly with a Mojo and both are great with the C's from the Mojo.

I have heard the C flows at length side by side with my non flows, Liquid Crimson and Mojo. As far as response from those two amps, both are very similar and my above comments extrapolate to the flows.

What does it mean, not a lot of volume travel? Better than the portable ones? I considering buying ether flow for my QP1R.
Or maybe the Elear. Any thoughts on Elear vs Ether with QP1R?

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,594 of 5,796
What does it mean, not a lot of volume travel? Better than the portable ones? I considering buying ether flow for my QP1R.

Meaning that with the big amps you can only use 1/8 - 1/4 of the volume knob before you go in to quite loud listening territory. The ETHER headphones are relatively easy to drive, but at the same time revealing of the gear upstream.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,595 of 5,796

Tyll prefers the sound of Elear over Ether flow, I myself have not got the chance to listen to flows, but I do have Elear and friend got Ether he finds Bass lacking punch and sub bass is low BUT midrange and transparency on Ether are on another's level, so if your music tastes doesn't include EDM or HipHop than Ethers will serve your better, also to consider Focal comes with 5 years warranty compare to one year limited warranty on Ether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back