MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,791 of 2,891
Thanks! I was hoping so. Thought it was nice that it came with the DUM cable too. I am going to order some new Alpha pads and keep the originals as backups.
I have given some consideration to buying another pair, just so I have a backup for that eventual day when mine stop working! They are that good.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,792 of 2,891
The Argons stack up well for the price a work colleague said he preferred the bass but since I put the new Alpha pads on I prefer the Prime's bass.

The Argons are darker with a little more sub bass and the Prime's resolve better and overall are more well rounded. I would also say the Argon is a little wider for soundstage.

I like both and now I want Ori's. :)

Very good to hear, I'll probably be quite happy with the Argons! Thanks for the feedback

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,793 of 2,891
Very good to hear, I'll probably be quite happy with the Argons! Thanks for the feedback

I have my Argons in work so listen to them all day and enjoy them, I had converted the T-X0 and the jump in bass is remarkable compared to stock.

I just changed the opamp today in my little DAC-X6 to a NE5532P and they sound even better, still warmer and darker than the prime, the bass has a little more punch. I have yet to test them on the DAC-X7 as I am waiting for the official driver to be released. I will have my xduoo ta-01 soon so tube rolling will be fun.

I got my MK T-X0 in perfect condition for about $100 so it all came to about $250 (zmf + strap, cable) inc postage to modhouse. I am also going to test the new alpha pads but I love the zmf lambskins and for sure get the deerskin strap it's so nice I ordered one for the primes. You also get a v-moda cable thrown in.

Please share your thoughts on the Argon thread I started on the main Headphones section after you get them!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #2,794 of 2,891
Got my Primes today, really impressed so far. Seller I bought them from included some unused tuning dots. Is the picture below the default configuration? That's what I gathered from the PDF guide on the MrSpeakers site. Want them back at stock, seller had them in a different config. Also, one or no felt filter at stock? Thanks gents.

Tuning dots.png

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,795 of 2,891
Got my Primes today, really impressed so far. Seller I bought them from included some unused tuning dots. Is the picture below the default configuration? That's what I gathered from the PDF guide on the MrSpeakers site. Want them back at stock, seller had them in a different config. Also, one or no felt filter at stock? Thanks gents.

I think I seen that PDF from headfonia. I actually just went with a doggie treat on each side. My Alpha pads were also the earlier version so they were very squished. I replaced them with brand new ones and it made a huge difference to comfort and sound. ZMF pads work well too but the Alpha's are better on these imo.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,796 of 2,891

Yup, that's default. Bottom-corner and front-corner.

Mine have the same dot config and are unchanged, direct from mrspeakers.

Never used the doggie treat filters with them, I feel they could spoil the treble/clarity of the primes.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,797 of 2,891
Yup, that's default. Bottom-corner and front-corner.

Mine have the same dot config and are unchanged, direct from mrspeakers.

Never used the doggie treat filters with them, I feel they could spoil the treble/clarity of the primes.

Thanks! I was listening with the filters in, going to give it a shot without them.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2,798 of 2,891
I didn't think the treat killed it just soften it up slightly, still sounds marvelous. I love putting these things on my head.

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2,799 of 2,891
Woah, just had my first oh s*** moment with these headphones. WOW. Listening to some dark techno/ambient/industrial, the song Violence by Andy Stott - one of my favorite electronic artists, my other phones never did this music justice, this is intense.

I am definitely appreciating people saying these headphones sound open, I would call the sound cavernous - it's like the ear cups are as big as my head.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,800 of 2,891
Is it just me or does some music / some songs just sound like absolute garbage on these Primes?

There's really no rhyme or reason to it - everything is running on high bitrate FLAC (800+ Kbps) from the same source / same amp / same DAC / same EQ settings (increased bass just a hair). On a random playlist, some music is like "wow this is amazing I'm literally melting" and some music is "what the crap is going on this sounds like pure ass". Some songs get really strange distortion at higher volume where I *KNOW* there should be more headroom while other tunes with more bass / dynamic response play just fine.

For example - currently have "Routine" by Steven Wilson cranked almost uncomfortably loud and the Primes are practically cruising through with zero issues. Flipping to certain rock tunes force the Primes to crap themselves (ie "The Space on the Wall" by Dead Letter Circus) - a muddy, distorted mess. Crazy, because I can roll a tune with 10x the bass like "Kittens" by Underworld and the Primes don't stumble or falter at all, even at earbleed volume.

Is it all the music producer's fault? Am I losing my mind? :triportsad:

Edit: Still only like 80 hours into the 200-hour burn in, but some people say the burn-in doesn't matter. I'm on the fence myself, especially since these are my original Mad Dog drivers I used nearly daily for 4 years.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,801 of 2,891
Violence by Andy Stott

Love it! I use Andy Stott and Demdike Stare when auditioning at RMAF. Always clears the room of any Dire Straits/Diana Krall types. Never fails to make the reps drop their jaws when the songs kick into gear, be it the depth of the lows, stereo imaging, or precision placement of sounds and textures. Good stuff.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,802 of 2,891
Woah, just had my first oh s*** moment with these headphones. WOW. Listening to some dark techno/ambient/industrial, the song Violence by Andy Stott - one of my favorite electronic artists, my other phones never did this music justice, this is intense.

I am definitely appreciating people saying these headphones sound open, I would call the sound cavernous - it's like the ear cups are as big as my head.

I love this one..I had a few wow moments with certain tracks.

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,803 of 2,891
Looks like the Alpha upgrade program will terminate August 30th, just got the newsletter today.

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,804 of 2,891
Looks like the Alpha upgrade program will terminate August 30th, just got the newsletter today.

That kinds sucks, I noticed when putting a modhouse strap on mine today that the original cable was in the headband. I was able to pull it through once I had the headband detached from the cups.

Weird they didn't remove it initially.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,805 of 2,891
Would like to report in that I just bought my 2nd pair of Alpha Primes and this time I definitely don't intend to let them go!
However, the stock cable leaves much to be desired.

Does anyone have any recommendations on custom cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back