MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #2,777 of 2,891
Thanks - one more question if you're willing - would you say the Primes hold up against other non-modded headphones in the $800-1000 price range? I guess what I am asking is, do they perform at their original sale price?

In my opnion, puting aside preferences in sound signature and all, from a technical point pf view: absolutely.
Keeping in mind that it’s a very closed can, and doing a good isolation.

I totally agree. In fact, the Primes stand up to the 800S’s, and in some ways beat them in terms of impact and dynamics. Especially on drums and percussion.

The 800S’s are still better at most things, but the Primes don’t embarrass themselves.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #2,778 of 2,891
Although I love my Primes, I must say that the biggest regret of my whole audiophile existence is having sold the Oris.
Because I bought them in mint condition at 400$, I can’t let myself buying them again for a lot more than that.
I sold them, thinking of super upgrading with the Atticus...big mistake. Sold the Atticus, kept the Prime, but deeply long for my missed Oris.

I just got my Prime's for $330 posted (deal and perfect condition) and put new Alpha pads on them, they are great I absolutely love them.

Would love Ori's and would like to know how they compare?

I also have Argons based on a Massdrop T-X0 the bass is heavy on them. The Modhouse Audio deerskin strap is the best and I also ordered one for the Primes.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #2,779 of 2,891
I just got my Prime's for $330 posted (deal and perfect condition) and put new Alpha pads on them, they are great I absolutely love them.

I also have Argons based on a Massdrop T-X0 the bass is heavy on them. The Modhouse Audio deerskin strap is the best and I also ordered one for the Primes.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Argon MkII vs the Primes when you've got both. That is a sweet deal for a pair of primes. I've got a set of Argon MKIII on order and was eyeing a used set of Primes as well.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #2,780 of 2,891
I have the opportunity to buy a near mint pair for around $400, for some reason I am having a hard time getting over the fact that they are based on a $100 driver. I know that sounds crazy, everything I've read has been overwhelmingly positive, calling these a reference-level headphone. Is $400 a good price for these bad boys?

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,781 of 2,891
IMHO that is an excellent price.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,782 of 2,891
I have the opportunity to buy a near mint pair for around $400, for some reason I am having a hard time getting over the fact that they are based on a $100 driver. I know that sounds crazy, everything I've read has been overwhelmingly positive, calling these a reference-level headphone. Is $400 a good price for these bad boys?
Ok let’s see : the HD700 is a total failure because of its uncontrolled treble. The HD660s is a TOTALLY different can, balanced with a very different sound signature. Yet they both have the same drivers.
Think about it.
Also the driver in itself is not what end up crancking up the cost in a headphone.

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #2,783 of 2,891
The Prime is not just a simple mod like the Dogs- in order to make the Prime Dan had to go into the driver and make a lot of changes. They are real high end in my book. And for 400 they are a steal. I sold mine because I thought the Aeons were going to be a better option and ended up not liking them. I am happy with new Z1r but I would happily live the the Primes

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,784 of 2,891

I own and use both the Prime and Ori. I slightly prefer the Prime for its better clarity, balance and treble extension. The Ori is no slouch, comparing both headphones is like comparing tubes to solid state. Ori has restrained treble and more robust bass..its sweeter, by comparison. It really depends on what you like, but I feel the Prime is a bit safer choice than the Ori.

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,785 of 2,891
I own and use both the Prime and Ori. I slightly prefer the Prime for its better clarity, balance and treble extension. The Ori is no slouch, comparing both headphones is like comparing tubes to solid state. Ori has restrained treble and more robust bass..its sweeter, by comparison. It really depends on what you like, but I feel the Prime is a bit safer choice than the Ori.
Totally agree with that !!!

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #2,786 of 2,891
Ok let’s see : the HD700 is a total failure because of its uncontrolled treble. The HD660s is a TOTALLY different can, balanced with a very different sound signature. Yet they both have the same drivers.
Think about it.
Also the driver in itself is not what end up crancking up the cost in a headphone.

That is a fair point. I own the HD660S, great headphone IMO. Would love to know exactly how the T50 driver was modified for the Alphas, but I know Dan keeps it close to the vest, for good reason.

The Prime is not just a simple mod like the Dogs- in order to make the Prime Dan had to go into the driver and make a lot of changes. They are real high end in my book. And for 400 they are a steal. I sold mine because I thought the Aeons were going to be a better option and ended up not liking them. I am happy with new Z1r but I would happily live the the Primes

Thanks for your input. I was considering the Aeon Closed for a time, glad to know these are comparable or better.

You gents have convinced me, I picked up the Alpha's.

While I had a chance at buying from someone locally, I don't think they were in fantastic condition, so here is what I bought instead, I apologize in advance if anyone else had their eyes on these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MrSpeakers...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Comes with the DUM cable as well. I'll probably re-terminate the XLR to a 6.3mm TRS

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #2,787 of 2,891
That is a fair point. I own the HD660S, great headphone IMO. Would love to know exactly how the T50 driver was modified for the Alphas, but I know Dan keeps it close to the vest, for good reason.

Thanks for your input. I was considering the Aeon Closed for a time, glad to know these are comparable or better.

You gents have convinced me, I picked up the Alpha's.

While I had a chance at buying from someone locally, I don't think they were in fantastic condition, so here is what I bought instead, I apologize in advance if anyone else had their eyes on these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MrSpeakers-Alpha-Prime-Headphones-10-ft-DUM-XLR-cable-6-ft-1-4-cable/152980161329?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Comes with the DUM cable as well. I'll probably re-terminate the XLR to a 6.3mm TRS
WOW!!!!! No way would I sell mine for that much! You got quite the deal IMHO!

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,788 of 2,891
WOW!!!!! No way would I sell mine for that much! You got quite the deal IMHO!

Thanks! I was hoping so. Thought it was nice that it came with the DUM cable too. I am going to order some new Alpha pads and keep the originals as backups.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #2,789 of 2,891
Just tried the Prime's briefly with the ZMF Lambskin pads, the sound is a bit leaner with them. It's definitely a flatter sound, but I sure miss the bass. Going back to alpha pads.

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,790 of 2,891
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Argon MkII vs the Primes when you've got both. That is a sweet deal for a pair of primes. I've got a set of Argon MKIII on order and was eyeing a used set of Primes as well.

The Argons stack up well for the price a work colleague said he preferred the bass but since I put the new Alpha pads on I prefer the Prime's bass.

The Argons are darker with a little more sub bass and the Prime's resolve better and overall are more well rounded. I would also say the Argon is a little wider for soundstage.

I like both and now I want Ori's. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back