MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,806 of 2,891
Balanced or trs?

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #2,808 of 2,891
IMG_1176.JPG I will try to post some options later.

What kind of price range? Do you believe you can hear a difference between any cables you currently have? Do you want basic or really fancy? This is a cable that can balanced or TRS by changing a pigtail, four wires coming down to something like this is quite nice. A person I would trust to make you most anything and whom I would trust to do it right is Zynsonix. He has a wide range of wire and if you tell him you want a four wire braid down to four pin mini xlr with say a 1/4 inch and 3.5 mm pigtail, he could do it. Down the road if you want balanced, just buy a four pin standard size xlr pigtail.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,809 of 2,891
Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #2,811 of 2,891
Just got a 10´cable from Venus Audio for Alpha Prime to replace the (for me too) short MrSpeakers Cable. Now there is more elbowroom on the couch....

From first moment more brilliance, more space, more detailedness....I am astonished and looking for further changes. And this for a an absolute moderate price incl. delivery costs and customs charges for Germany. Well done, Mr. Venus Audio!

Listening with Violectric amp...gorgeous!

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #2,812 of 2,891
Hello All,

I am happy to say, that I have just joined the Alpha Prime club. :darthsmile: I scored a nice pair, in mint condition! I had my first listen last night, with my Lyr 3 and KenRad VT-231 tube, and it was glorious! These babies are gonna be with me, for as long as I live!

Wes

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #2,813 of 2,891
Very cool, I feel pretty strongly about the primes as well. I have gone as far as to create cables with pigtails for them so I do not have to disconnect the connectors from each cup whenever I change from 3.5 mm to quarter inch to balanced four pin XLR etc. This is a set I built for HD 650's as well as Hifiman cans..pigtails.jpgThe principle is the same though. I also have a s pigtail for balanced out on a portable player, unless I am traveling and have the primes in a case, I need not unplug the main cable.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,814 of 2,891
Very cool, I feel pretty strongly about the primes as well. I have gone as far as to create cables with pigtails for them so I do not have to disconnect the connectors from each cup whenever I change from 3.5 mm to quarter inch to balanced four pin XLR etc. This is a set I built for HD 650's as well as Hifiman cans..The principle is the same though. I also have a s pigtail for balanced out on a portable player, unless I am traveling and have the primes in a case, I need not unplug the main cable.
That's a great idea!

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,815 of 2,891
It works well and the mini four pin xlrs I use to extend the cables are not expensive. I have over ten amps, four dacs, balanced, unbalanced and with the use of switch boxes and the pigtails on my primes I can switch to any setup quickly. I can also switch in between different types of copper and silver headphone cables for some testing I am doing but that is another story.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #2,817 of 2,891
Hello All,

I am happy to say, that I have just joined the Alpha Prime club. :darthsmile: I scored a nice pair, in mint condition! I had my first listen last night, with my Lyr 3 and KenRad VT-231 tube, and it was glorious! These babies are gonna be with me, for as long as I live!

Wes

Hope they serve you well! :beyersmile:

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #2,818 of 2,891
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,819 of 2,891
Has anyone here compared an Argon to an Alpha Prime or Ori?

I have both, and listen mostly to jazz, prog rock and metal, and for those genres to my ears Primes and Oris are very similar. Personally, my preference are the Primes for what I perceive to be a just tad more resolution across the board, and especially in the upper range. And their soundstage appears somewhat bigger. On the other hand, the Ori's esthetics stand above imho, and they tend to be more exciting to listen to when it comes to rock, blues and generally mainstream music - if that's what you mostly listen to, and the source is of CD quality and up to 96k, choose the Ori. But, if there's lot of hi-def music in your collection, dsd and 192k+ files, then the Primes would be as good of a choice for the latter genres too.

Hope that helps,
Villy

P. S. Should have mentioned that I listen exclusively to hi-def sources, where the Primes' resolution comes thru as better to my ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back