MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 13, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #2,761 of 2,891
30656432_10103308549881687_4498797205393506304_o.jpg
Well, after two long excruciating months of waiting, I finally received my Primes in the mail last night.

These things are bonkers. Absolutely bonkers. I'm going to go deaf today. I can't turn them down. I guess that's a good thing.... they need '200 hours of burn-in' so might as well keep it loud for the day :D The Emotiva BasX was the correct choice. I don't think my little o2 amp would have had enough juice to keep these monsters fed and happy.

Very pleased. Wish they had a bit more on the low end but other than that, zero complaints. This is a fantastic office setup!

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,763 of 2,891
Well, after two long excruciating months of waiting, I finally received my Primes in the mail last night.

These things are bonkers. Absolutely bonkers. I'm going to go deaf today. I can't turn them down. I guess that's a good thing.... they need '200 hours of burn-in' so might as well keep it loud for the day :D The Emotiva BasX was the correct choice. I don't think my little o2 amp would have had enough juice to keep these monsters fed and happy.

Very pleased. Wish they had a bit more on the low end but other than that, zero complaints. This is a fantastic office setup!

Man, I usually avoid this topic, but I hate to see a Primes dude miss out. I never, and I'm serious, never experienced 'burn-in' with my Primes. Not saying burn-in is bunk, but that these cans were awesome from the first note.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,766 of 2,891
Steve Canfield from Mr. Speakers said 200 hrs burn in, so just following directions. I'm listening to them during the day and I'll just let them roll loudly over night.

As for the pads, they get them from China, so unless the Chinese stop producing them...
Thank you !

Sorry if I ask a question that has been asnwered before; any pad replacement for the Alpha Primes you could recommand ? Something that would minimize any sound alteration from original pads ?

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #2,767 of 2,891
Guys, should I buy extra Alpha pads in case Mr Speakers stop producing them?
+1

They are totally worth it, can't imagine the Primes using any other pad as effectively. If you intend to keep your Prime forever as I do, I think its a must-do.

I will be trying my ZMF Lambskin pads on my Prime this weekend, they are the last time I will attempt a pad change with them.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #2,768 of 2,891
+1

They are totally worth it, can't imagine the Primes using any other pad as effectively. If you intend to keep your Prime forever as I do, I think its a must-do.

I will be trying my ZMF Lambskin pads on my Prime this weekend, they are the last time I will attempt a pad change with them.
Oh ok great ! We look forward to your impressions !

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #2,769 of 2,891
Hey guys - so I've got a local guy who has a pair of these he'd like to sell, don't know the price yet. I had a pair of T50RP MKIII's that I modded a while back (my own variation of the Mayflower mod), but I've never heard the "premium" third party modified pairs of T50's (thinking of MrSpeakers and ZMF, in particular). Do the Alpha Primes still hold up, especially compared to other $500+ pairs of headphones? And what kind of jump in performance can you expect from, say, a personally modded pair of stock T50's?

Thanks for the help.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,770 of 2,891
Although I love my Primes, I must say that the biggest regret of my whole audiophile existence is having sold the Oris.
Because I bought them in mint condition at 400$, I can’t let myself buying them again for a lot more than that.
I sold them, thinking of super upgrading with the Atticus...big mistake. Sold the Atticus, kept the Prime, but deeply long for my missed Oris.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2,771 of 2,891
Although I love my Primes, I must say that the biggest regret of my whole audiophile existence is having sold the Oris.
Because I bought them in mint condition at 400$, I can’t let myself buying them again for a lot more than that.
I sold them, thinking of super upgrading with the Atticus...big mistake. Sold the Atticus, kept the Prime, but deeply long for my missed Oris.

Which would you say is the better technical performer?

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,773 of 2,891
Prime is the best; Oris the sweetest.

Thanks - one more question if you're willing - would you say the Primes hold up against other non-modded headphones in the $800-1000 price range? I guess what I am asking is, do they perform at their original sale price?

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #2,774 of 2,891
Thanks - one more question if you're willing - would you say the Primes hold up against other non-modded headphones in the $800-1000 price range? I guess what I am asking is, do they perform at their original sale price?
In my opnion, puting aside preferences in sound signature and all, from a technical point pf view: absolutely.
Keeping in mind that it’s a very closed can, and doing a good isolation.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #2,775 of 2,891
In my opnion, puting aside preferences in sound signature and all, from a technical point pf view: absolutely.
Keeping in mind that it’s a very closed can, and doing a good isolation.

Awesome, thanks for giving your two cents, I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back