MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,771 of 2,891
  Just in case anyone is interested, My Primes are up for sale at the moment.  I've got an itchy trigger finger for a pair of Ethers.  I may calm back down after the weekend and raise the price back up, or just realize that I love the Primes and close the ad.

Tough decision... Open vs Closed too.....The little devil on your shoulder says buy both....
evil_smiley.gif

Since I own both, I can support this decision. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,772 of 2,891

Just in case anyone is interested, My Primes are up for sale at the moment.  I've got an itchy trigger finger for a pair of Ethers.  I may calm back down after the weekend and raise the price back up, or just realize that I love the Primes and close the ad.

Tough decision... Open vs Closed too.....The little devil on your shoulder says buy both....
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh Yeah! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,774 of 2,891
  I feel a combination of ribbing, teasing and peer pressure, all at once.  Nice job, all!

I think around here that's called "support". 
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,775 of 2,891
  I feel a combination of ribbing, teasing and peer pressure, all at once.  Nice job, all!

This is what friends are for!  

beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,776 of 2,891
biggrin.gif

I own both as well, and I say sell one. There can be such a thing as too many headphones... I feel like some of my gear is just not getting enough love & would be better serving another head-fier as their primary can

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,777 of 2,891

I think around here that's called "support". 
tongue.gif

Lol - agreed!

This is what friends are for!

beerchug.gif

Again, agreed.

I own both as well, and I say sell one. There can be such a thing as too many headphones... I feel like some of my gear is just not getting enough love & would be better serving another head-fier as their primary can

Kind of where I'm at, though I'll replace it with (Likely) the Ether.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,779 of 2,891
Evening everyone,

I'm considering selling my Alpha Prime headphones for money towards a pair of Ether C...but, I'm also considering keeping my Alpha Primes for the time being, and buying a pair of Fostex TH900.

Does anyone have experience of TH900, and would they pair well with Lyr2 & bifrost uber?  If yes, how does the sound compare to Alpha Prime?  Or, am I better advised to sell AP's & going with Ether C (a little risky considering it is as yet unreleased product)?

TIA.

Kind rgds,
M-83

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,780 of 2,891
  Evening everyone, I'm considering selling my Alpha Prime headphones for money towards a pair of Ether C...but, I'm also considering keeping my Alpha Primes for the time being, and buying a pair of Fostex TH900. Does anyone have experience of TH900, and would they pair well with Lyr2 & bifrost uber?  If yes, how does the sound compare to Alpha Prime?  Or, am I better advised to sell AP's & going with Ether C (a little risky considering it is as yet unreleased product)? TIA. Kind rgds, M-83

TH900 is noticeably v-shaped compared to the Prime. I do personally like the TH900 better, but at its price point, I don't think it's worth it personally as I generally use more neutral-orientated headphones.

The TH900 could be a good complimentary pair of headphones for the Prime.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,782 of 2,891
Hey guys i was wondering if i could get some help. I am currently saving money to purchase the Alpha Dog Prime's and a amp/dac but i'm stuck on what to get for the amp/dac. I am currently looking at the  O2+ODAC COMBO REVB but am not sure if that's a suitable purchase for the Alpha Dog Primes. If i could get any recommendations on whats better or more suitable that would be awesome. i don't need the amp/dac to be portable it'll be stationary for most of its life. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,783 of 2,891
Hey guys i was wondering if i could get some help. I am currently saving money to purchase the Alpha Dog Prime's and a amp/dac but i'm stuck on what to get for the amp/dac. I am currently looking at the  O2+ODAC COMBO REVB but am not sure if that's a suitable purchase for the Alpha Dog Primes. If i could get any recommendations on whats better or more suitable that would be awesome. i don't need the amp/dac to be portable it'll be stationary for most of its life. 

If you can afford it, go for a lyr2. The lyr2 can really make the Alpha Primes sing. The Alpha Primes are power pigs and the more power you give the better they sound.
I wish I could recomend a dac under $1000. I am sure someone will recommend a dac. I think the Gungnir Multibit is a steal. But I know not your budget. Please have a goodnight.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,784 of 2,891
If you can afford it, go for a lyr2. The lyr2 can really make the Alpha Primes sing. The Alpha Primes are power pigs and the more power you give the better they sound.
I wish I could recomend a dac under $1000. I am sure someone will recommend a dac. I think the Gungnir Multibit is a steal. But I know not your budget. Please have a goodnight.

is the Lyr2 an amp/dac combo or just and amp. and i dont really have a budget as ill be saving money to purchase these items. and how do i know what voltage to pick for the lyr2? and thanks for the quick reply.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,785 of 2,891
  is the Lyr2 an amp/dac combo or just and amp. and i dont really have a budget as ill be saving money to purchase these items. and how do i know what voltage to pick for the lyr2? and thanks for the quick reply.

The Schiit Lyr2 is an amp, not a combo.

I have Alpha Primes and have listened to the O2+ODAC with them and found it didn't have enough power for my tastes.  I have the Lyr2 and BifrostUber (a separate DAC) and as Reddog notes, it's a fantastic-sounding set-up.  I also have used a ALO International to power my Primes--before purchasing the Lyr2+Bifrost combo--and although it was better than the O2+ODAC to my ears, the International still wasn't enough power to make the Primes sing.  

Personally, I'd like even more power and am thinking seriously about the Mjolnir2 to replace the Lyr2 for my Primes.

If you can, get to an audio show or headfi meet to hear more of this stuff in person before buying.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back