MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #1,741 of 2,891
  I owned the WA7+WA7tp and it is a solid albeit rather pricey option for that really 'gooey' warm/rich/lush tube coloration. I think you can look into the Project Ember or Schiit Lyr 2 as alternatives. The WA7 is has quite a heavy tube coloration, more blurring effect to the notes with a perception of additional decay much more intimate feeling, and smaller sound stage in comparison to the Lyr 2. Personal preference will factor into which one you enjoy more. Did use that combination with the Alpha Prime and it is enjoyable.

No experience with the Alpha Dog to comment on that aspect.

I would recommend passing on the EL-8 closed from my personal 2 month ownership unless you have the chance to do a personal audition. There are some pretty obvious negative coloration to the mids & treble region, though its bass quality is quite stellar. I think it is difficult to judge whether those headphones will be suitable for individual tastes without personal demoing. For closed planar magnetic options, I highly recommend the PM-3 as it is a very well-balanced pair of headphones that measure extremely well. You can check out my review here. It turns out that I use the PM-3 a lot more than the Alpha Prime. Relatively, the PM-3 has a smoother sound and more underlying warmth. The Alpha Prime has a bit of weirdness in the mid section but offers a much larger sound stage and subtly sharper treble. I agree that the Alpha Primes have a very laid-back relaxed presentation. Both have very solid imaging capabilities. I do currently own both. I use the PM-3s more as they work for portable situations. Not enough time with the Alpha Prime for an extensive comparative review, but I do plan on writing one when I have more time. I would highly recommend both headphones at their current prices. At original MSRP, I did feel the Prime was a bit overpriced, but then again there are not as many stand-out well-balanced options in the closed categories. The other high performing closed headphone I would recommend considering from my personal experience would be the NAD Visio HP50 and the AKG K553. Those are dynamic driver options, so will have a subtly decreased sense of speed in comparison to the planars, but they are both fast for dynamic headphones and you will not notice what you are missing without direct comparisons. I've demoed the LCD-XC a little bit, but it was just too uncomfortable for me, so I did not really spend that much time with it. Also, its price tag makes me quite wary. ahah

These are just my personal impressions, so ymmv. Hope my perspective is helpful though. Cheers!

Thank you, that's very helpful information. I already own the WA7 so no investment (although not the WA7tp yet). The PM-3s are high on my wish list also, but knowing that the Alpha Primes won't be around much longer I will probably take the leap on those first. It sounds from the many comments that I won't be disappointed. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,742 of 2,891
How does the Alpha Prime compare to the Fostex TH900? 

I'm looking for a headphone with really good bass, but also with smooth highs. I found the TH900 highs too harsh for my liking. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,743 of 2,891

I'm looking for a headphone with really good bass, but also with smooth highs. I found the TH900 highs too harsh for my liking. 

I haven't heard the TH900 but Alpha Prime I feel would suit you if your looking for highs that are non fatiguing and bass that's deep and gorgeous.​

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,744 of 2,891

I heard the TH600 and do not like it, too much bass for me, some people think the Alpha Dog doesn't have enough bass, the Alpha Prime increase the Bass from the Alpha Dog.

I know its not what you want to hear but hopefully it helps.

P.S my Amp/DAC is Alo rx Mk3B+CLAS-DB. Depend on what I listen to, I may blast the Bass full blast sometime I just turn it all the way off. With my Hugo its perfect.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,745 of 2,891
  I haven't heard the TH900 but Alpha Prime I feel would suit you if your looking for highs that are non fatiguing and bass that's deep and gorgeous.​

I heard the TH600 and do not like it, too much bass for me, some people think the Alpha Dog doesn't have enough bass, the Alpha Prime increase the Bass from the Alpha Dog.

I know its not what you want to hear but hopefully it helps.

P.S my Amp/DAC is Alo rx Mk3B+CLAS-DB. Depend on what I listen to, I may blast the Bass full blast sometime I just turn it all the way off. With my Hugo its perfect.

Thanks guys. This does help. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,746 of 2,891
I had the fostex 900 and sold it...a bit to bright for me...i like the alpha prime much more,it is a more rounded sound,i am able to listen for longer times without any fatigue.I also listen to my LCD-XC which is kind of somewhere between the fostex and the alpha prime,i do like the Audeze very much as well

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,747 of 2,891

how do you like the primes with the magni 2 and modi 2? I have the same schiit stack and am getting my primes this week. does the magni 2 have the power to drive the primes properly? I tend to listen lound, where an underpowered amp will start to distort or clip. have you heard any distortion or clipping from the magni 2 with the primes? thanks for your time.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,748 of 2,891
how do you like the primes with the magni 2 and modi 2? I have the same schiit stack and am getting my primes this week. does the magni 2 have the power to drive the primes properly? I tend to listen lound, where an underpowered amp will start to distort or clip. have you heard any distortion or clipping from the magni 2 with the primes? thanks for your time.

I have the centrance m8 as well as the jds odac. Have not heard the modi, but the odac is often compared to them. I have had no issues with the odac driving the primes, I like the centrance better, minor differences between the two in my opinion without using the eq in the centrance or changing the impendance. Again, haven't heard the shiit bit on a comparable set up they were very nice sounding.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,749 of 2,891
Got my Norne Zoetic cables in today; black/grey with custom Rosewood wood splitter and Eidolic 1/4" termination. (I had actually ordered the red/grey but I'm glad of the mistake because my Audeze Norne cables are brown-ish and it would have been hard to distinguish between them at a glance.) They sound fantastic! My upcoming Ether will come with DUM cables, so I will probably put the Nornes on the Ether for home use, and the DUM on the Primes for work use.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,750 of 2,891
  Got my Norne Zoetic cables in today; black/grey with custom Rosewood wood splitter and Eidolic 1/4" termination. (I had actually ordered the red/grey but I'm glad of the mistake because my Audeze Norne cables are brown-ish and it would have been hard to distinguish between them at a glance.) They sound fantastic! My upcoming Ether will come with DUM cables, so I will probably put the Nornes on the Ether for home use, and the DUM on the Primes for work use.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the two cables on the ETHER if you'd be willing to post.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 7, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,751 of 2,891

I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the two cables on the ETHER if you'd be willing to post.  

Will do for sure, on both the Prime and Ether.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,753 of 2,891
  @mrspeakers my right side of the headphone have completely died on me, this issue has been going on intermittently over the past month but now it completely gone :frowning2: If I send it in, how long is the turn around time to fix?

Hi...  Did you swap the L/R cable to make sure it's not the cable?  If so, PM me.  Our turnaround time for repairs is usually 2-3 days from receipt.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,755 of 2,891

yes I even swap the cable from my DHC to your regular stock cable.

OK, PM me for directions, we'll take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back