MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,726 of 2,891
I got my AP recently and I simply love it. But from yesterday there is a weird thing going on: my signal suddenly drops to only the right channel and the left channel goes mum. I am using a NAD C326Bee amp (headphone out) and UCA 202 as DAC. Can anyone help me regarding this issue - is it a faulty usb port (I use my laptop as source), DAC or Amp issue?

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,727 of 2,891
  I got my AP recently and I simply love it. But from yesterday there is a weird thing going on: my signal suddenly drops to only the right channel and the left channel goes mum. I am using a NAD C326Bee amp (headphone out) and UCA 202 as DAC. Can anyone help me regarding this issue - is it a faulty usb port (I use my laptop as source), DAC or Amp issue?

I actually had this too, but very rarely on my right. I thought it was a cable issue but apparently you have it too.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,728 of 2,891

Reverse your cable to put left on right and right on left, if the problem stays on the same side PM me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 20, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,729 of 2,891
Was in the market for some EL-8 closed, but having read so many negative opinions on them, I'm now leaning towards some of these babies, especially as it's the last chance to pick them up. 

Was wondering if people considered the Primes to be a step up over the Alpha Dogs in every respect? I'm into mostly electronic music. 

Also wondering how these pair with a Woo WA7. 

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,730 of 2,891
  Was in the market for some EL-8 closed, but having read so many negative opinions on them, I'm now leaning towards some of these babies, especially as it's the last chance to pick them up. 

Was wondering if people considered the Primes to be a step up over the Alpha Dogs in every respect? I'm into mostly electronic music. 

Also wondering how these pair with a Woo WA7. 

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks. 

I too was considering the EL-8 closed, then opted for the Primes. I still have not heard the EL-8's so I cannot compare, but I am incredibly happy with the primes. They are awesome for electronic music. In fact, I think I'm going to turn off this wussy acoustic stuff I'm listening to now and put on some Chicane. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,731 of 2,891

Yeah, I find them better in every way that I care about: bass extension, clarity in the mids, and totally non-fatiguing.  The AD's were great, but the Primes just did everything better for me.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,732 of 2,891
Yeah, I find them better in every way that I care about: bass extension, clarity in the mids, and totally non-fatiguing.  The AD's were great, but the Primes just did everything better for me.

+1 Well said sir.

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,733 of 2,891

I too was considering the EL-8 closed, then opted for the Primes. I still have not heard the EL-8's so I cannot compare, but I am incredibly happy with the primes. They are awesome for electronic music. In fact, I think I'm going to turn off this wussy acoustic stuff I'm listening to now and put on some Chicane. 

I have the Primes and lsitened to the EL-8 both closed and open. Believe me you are way better off with the Primes.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 21, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,735 of 2,891
  Agree, the prime is even better than the LCD-XC.

I prefer the Primes over my LCD-XC also (which I sold).
The Primes seem more accurate in response to me.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,736 of 2,891
I prefer the Primes over my LCD-XC also (which I sold).
The Primes seem more accurate in response to me.

I've never heard the xc and was considering them and the primes. I initially chose the primes because they were lighter, and way more transportable as I travel. From what I read I thought maybe I might like the xc better but went for the primes for cost as well. After I adjusted to the sound of the primes and plugged them into the m8 rather than a cell phone. These are the cans for me. I want to go to a few meets and try open backs for when I am able to start using them when I am at home more but I am a happy owner of the primes for months now and have yet to find a flaw that is not track dependant.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,737 of 2,891
I have both the XC and the primes...used to have Fostex-900 as well but sold them...I like the isolation on the Primes better than the XC but to my ears the XC is a bit more spacious and open....also the Primes are quite a bit harder to drive than the XC.When I listen using my Hugo I have to turn the volume up a fair bit higher to get similar volume to the XC....To me the primes are a more laid back listen,a little more rounded while the XC is a bit more in your face and detailed.....I enjoy both

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,738 of 2,891
I have both the XC and the primes...used to have Fostex-900 as well but sold them...I like the isolation on the Primes better than the XC but to my ears the XC is a bit more spacious and open....also the Primes are quite a bit harder to drive than the XC.When I listen using my Hugo I have to turn the volume up a fair bit higher to get similar volume to the XC....To me the primes are a more laid back listen,a little more rounded while the XC is a bit more in your face and detailed.....I enjoy both

Do you find the xc and primes complementary?

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,739 of 2,891
yes i do,i find the xc to be more forward and aggressive and the primes to be more laid back ...there are times i feel like one or the other.As i said the primes require a fair bit more power and the xc just seems more alive at times...that said both highly recommended and the primes have better isolation...for the money,especially the sale price the primes are fantastic,if i had to choose one of them without price being an issue it would be the xc but only by a hair

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,740 of 2,891
  Was in the market for some EL-8 closed, but having read so many negative opinions on them, I'm now leaning towards some of these babies, especially as it's the last chance to pick them up. Was wondering if people considered the Primes to be a step up over the Alpha Dogs in every respect? I'm into mostly electronic music. Also wondering how these pair with a Woo WA7. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks. 

I owned the WA7+WA7tp and it is a solid albeit rather pricey option for that really 'gooey' warm/rich/lush tube coloration. I think you can look into the Project Ember or Schiit Lyr 2 as alternatives. The WA7 is has quite a heavy tube coloration, more blurring effect to the notes with a perception of additional decay much more intimate feeling, and smaller sound stage in comparison to the Lyr 2. Personal preference will factor into which one you enjoy more. Did use that combination with the Alpha Prime and it is enjoyable.

No experience with the Alpha Dog to comment on that aspect.

I would recommend passing on the EL-8 closed from my personal 2 month ownership unless you have the chance to do a personal audition. There are some pretty obvious negative coloration to the mids & treble region, though its bass quality is quite stellar. I think it is difficult to judge whether those headphones will be suitable for individual tastes without personal demoing. For closed planar magnetic options, I highly recommend the PM-3 as it is a very well-balanced pair of headphones that measure extremely well. You can check out my review here. It turns out that I use the PM-3 a lot more than the Alpha Prime. Relatively, the PM-3 has a smoother sound and more underlying warmth. The Alpha Prime has a bit of weirdness in the mid section but offers a much larger sound stage and subtly sharper treble. I agree that the Alpha Primes have a very laid-back relaxed presentation. Both have very solid imaging capabilities. I do currently own both. I use the PM-3s more as they work for portable situations. Not enough time with the Alpha Prime for an extensive comparative review, but I do plan on writing one when I have more time. I would highly recommend both headphones at their current prices. At original MSRP, I did feel the Prime was a bit overpriced, but then again there are not as many stand-out well-balanced options in the closed categories. The other high performing closed headphone I would recommend considering from my personal experience would be the NAD Visio HP50 and the AKG K553. Those are dynamic driver options, so will have a subtly decreased sense of speed in comparison to the planars, but they are both fast for dynamic headphones and you will not notice what you are missing without direct comparisons. I've demoed the LCD-XC a little bit, but it was just too uncomfortable for me, so I did not really spend that much time with it. Also, its price tag makes me quite wary. ahah

These are just my personal impressions, so ymmv. Hope my perspective is helpful though. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back